Labradar thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labradar thoughts

Anyone here using the Labradar system? Thoughts, opinions on this item please?

I have one. It's a breeze to physically setup, that's for sure. Getting all the input settings right to make it pick up your shots reliably can be frustrating, but once it's set it's great. Much prefer it over my old chrony F1 Master. I've not tried a magnetospeed for comparison.

Mine sits on this baby tripod, so it works well on the bench or prone.

Comment

Where did you get the tripod?

Comment

Originally posted by Texasboy_fitnes View Post
        Where did you get the tripod?
        It's a manfrotto pixi evo 2-section tripod. Picked it up on amazon 2 years ago.

They have the single section ones for about 2/3 the price if you don't need much height.

Comment

I like it for the fact that working up loads you don’t have something on your barrel affecting harmonics and poi shifts.

Setting and arming the unit was kind of awkward at first.
          Once they came out with the new firmware and you can control most of the unit with an app on your phone. It made me like it even more.

Quick, easy and accurate unit. I would recommend

Comment

Thanks for the feedback so far men!

Comment

I’ve got one. It works great. I use the external battery pack on mine, as a set of AA’s barely last through a full range session. I’ve also got their bench plate, for setting the unit next to you while you shoot. I don’t use it very often, as 99% of the time I shoot suppressed. For that I use a standard camera tripod. The threads on the unit are the same. The only hassle I ran into at first was shooting suppressed. Once I figured out where I needed to place the unit (6-10 inches in front, and 6-10 inches to the side of my suppressor), it has been flawless. Coming from a traditional chronograph with sky screens, the LabRadar is so much easier to set up and use, and I feel it is much more precise. I don’t have to worry about clouds or lighting giving me errors or erroneous readings, and no going down range trying to line everything up. The display is easy to read, and gives you all the information you would want in one place. As far as the Magneto Speed goes, I’ve heard very good things about them. I’ve got a buddy that ran it side by side with his LabRadar, and velocities were within a few feet of each other. I just wasn’t crazy about having something else hanging off the front of my barrel along with the suppressor. I’ve also heard setting them up for use with a suppressor can be a pain.

Comment

I researched the labradar a couple of weeks ago and read where people said they can be finicky and are not as simple to use as the magnetospeed.
                I'm all about simplicity and ordered a V3 Magnetospeed that just came in 2 days ago.

So light, compact and easy to transport then strap on to your barrel or suppressor. I don't have an issue shooting a few rounds for velocity then removing if going for bughole shots after.

I see this purchase as a long term one and this unit will last a long, long time if taken care of. Got it for $325 shipped so I also don't mind saving a couple hundred bucks as compared to the labradar.

Comment

Thanks again for your feedback guys, I do appreciate it.

From what I have read, seems like there is a small learning curve with the Labradar for setting it up correctly, but once you figure that out, it is all good moving forward.

Have been around the magnetospeed a little bit, and it also looks to be a good option.

Comment

Several of my small caliber friends purchased the Labradar to perform load development with various .17 and .20 caliber cartridges. These tiny pills yield velocities from 3200 ~ 4500 fps. Unfortunately the LR's doppler radar could not register or record velocities. Not sure if it was because of the small projectile or the speeds approaching Mach 4 and above. Needless to say, they sold the LR's and continued using the Oehler 35P chronograph.

I've used an Oehler 35P since 1990 ? and have never experienced a problem. It has 2 "proof channels" that record the velocity twice in case the initial channel gives you a false or NO reading. I print the chrono read-out and attach it to my target or reloading binder. Not as convenient as other chronographs but is the most accurate and fool proof.

If you strictly shoot a 243, 308, 6.5, 7mm, etc... at velocities < 3400 fps, then the LR will likely work just fine. If you shoot fast .22 CF's approaching 3800+ fps, (or a 17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 17 HMR ??) you may or may not get readings from the LR.

If you opt for the LR, definitely get the external battery pack since the LR eats AA batteries due to the doppler radar

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 02-12-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      Several of my small caliber friends purchased the Labradar to perform load development with various .17 and .20 caliber cartridges. These tiny pills yield velocities from 3200 ~ 4500 fps. Unfortunately the LR's doppler radar could not register or record velocities. Not sure if it was because of the small projectile or the speeds approaching Mach 4 and above. Needless to say, they sold the LR's and continued using the Oehler 35P chronograph.

I've used an Oehler 35P since 1990 ? and have never experienced a problem. It has 2 "proof channels" that record the velocity twice in case the initial channel gives you a false or NO reading. I print the chrono read-out and attach it to my target or reloading binder. Not as convenient as other chronographs but is the most accurate and fool proof.

If you strictly shoot a 243, 308, 6.5, 7mm, etc... at velocities < 3400 fps, then the LR will likely work just fine. If you shoot fast .22 CF's approaching 3800+ fps, (or a 17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 17 HMR ??) you may or may not get readings from the LR.

If you opt for the LR, definitely get the external battery pack since the LR eats AA batteries due to the doppler radar

Was using a buddies to try and chrono a .204, it would not pick it up at 100 yds. Had to shoot the 200 yd steel plate to get it to read, and not sure if it read properly or not.

Comment

Anyone have experience using a Labradar at an indoor range where your barrel hangs off the end of the table/bench? Looks like they want it near the end of the barrel, which is a non-starter for me.
                        The Wiser Precision Magnetospeed mount takes the bayonet off the barrel so you can shoot velocity and groups at the same time. Works pretty dang well:

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

Good information Blake, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X