Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suppressing a rifle? What caliber would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppressing a rifle? What caliber would you do?

I’m thinking of setting up a good deer and pig gun for my daughter, if you were going to set up a good gun for deer and pigs with minimum recoil and then suppress it to limit noise and get as quite as possible what caliber would you do and what gun or model? 300 blackout, 308, 6.5,????? Also what suppressor would you use?

Let’s hear your suggestions.

If goal is low volume and ability to knock down a pig/WT, I'd go bolt action 308 with DeadAir Nomad L

Comment

243 shooting 87 grain bergers with the Deadair Nomad.

Comment

Man, this is a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge type question. It should be entertaining at least. Some clarificAtions might help, like type of hunting scenarios, ranges you would like tone tend out to, etc.

I personally just put together a .308 Bergara with my Yankee Hill ULT and really like the setup. One thing I would suggest, not to have the barrel over 18” if you plan on running a silencer on it.

Comment

Probably a 16” 308 bolt action. Subs are going to be the same between it and the BO as far as noise, and when you want to hunt with it you have a standard velocity 308.

Comment

300blkout or 308 bolt guns would be quieter than their semi-auto counterparts. I’m venturing into using the heaviest cast lead pill that’ll stabilize out of my 1:7 300blkout and 1:10 308 Remmys suppressed with my F1 can.

Comment

Savage 270. And buy the lite recoil ammo until she can handle regular recoil.

Comment

For minimum recoil and noise a .223, 6.5 Grendel or 300 Black Out

Stepping up with recoil the sky is the limit..... 22-250, 243 Win, 308 Win, 260 Rem, 7mm-08 just to start

Any decent 30 caliber suppressor will work with any of the above mentioned cartridges.

Comment

My 270 is suppressed with SiCo Specwar. It is hearing safe at the gun all day. They do not make the Specwar anymore but it has been a great can.

Comment

.300 Blackout with a can is pretty dang quiet and doesn't kick at all

Comment

If going semi-automatic I would go with 16" AR15 in 6.5Grendel.

If bolt action I would go with 308. Specifically Bergara Ridge SP with 18" barrel.

Only reason I don't recommend the 308 in AR10 platform is because they get stupid heavy quickly for a kid.

For suppressor I would look at the Silencerco Hybrid with an omega brake on it. or a Deadair Sandman due to the trilug quick connect system.

Comment

308 bolt 16 inch suppressed is what i have my ladies shooting. 175 yards or less and plenty quiet.

Comment

243 or 6 Creed around 20" with a Nomad or Nomad L.

A lighter 70 gr load will have very little recoil, and the heavier 100+ class still wont have much recoil while increasing abilities.

Comment

tagged

Comment

300 blk ... run supers and it doesn't kick much and will kill deer to 300 yards.
                              Run subs and you can smack pigs all night long without spooking the next batch .

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UehOw94yc0"]300 AAC blackout suppressed supersonics and subsonics - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgk84sWx6xU"]300/221 blackout howa rifle suppressed subsonics - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X