Any reports from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reports from

Baker 3???? A few of my buds went down, just curious if anyone known here did any good. Hope they didn't get rained out.

Over 40 hunters ... 3 axis bucks ... 1 blackbuck doe ... 1 axis doe.

It was a TOUGH hunt! You can't learn enough about it in the length of the hunt to reall do any good. The second axis brought it was shot over one of the few working feeders. I'm not sure how the other 2 were taken.

Comment

Wow, my buddy was all hyped up. He defitanely thought this would be his weekend for Axis and Blackbuck. Doesn't sound like the feeders went as planned.

Comment

Pretty dang poor hunting sounds like. When I was there in June we only had 30 some odd hunters and killed 12 or 14. Wonder what happened? Perhaps rain?

Comment

We got there late Thursday and the guide told us to come back in the morning and he would let us pick out a pasture and possibly show us around one that we picked. The guy that had the working feeder was one of the first people through the gate ... hence first choice on his hunting area.

This place is just HUGE. There is so much ground to cover that it's hard to try to pick a spot, especially when you're flying blind. I think the easiest way to have success is to find a feeder that's close to water and get it working early on Thursday, set it to feed 4 times a day, and sit on it all day long.

I really don't think the weather had a negative effect on the animals. It didn't rain hardly any, it was overcast and in the 70's Friday and most of Saturday. I even slept on the porch, COMFORTABLY, Thursday night. (We got there late and I couldn't find a bunk)

Comment

Hunted a pasture that was suggested by someone that had hunted that place for the past 10 years......
            Didn't see any sign of animals on Thursday when we scouted.....early friday morning, we bumped 3 axis does in the pasture.....surrounded by tons of whitetail.....but no Axis....

Same thing for Friday evening.....buddy had a chance to take a blackbuck....but decided not too since he wasn't sure how to judge them....

Other two buddies saw an Axis buck on the run with an arrow sticking out of him......each thought the other had shot him......We tried to track him but to no avail.......

Tough hunting for sure.....We switched to the Taylor Pastures on SAt....buddies were surrounded by axis that morning.....but none presented a shot.....the only one that did was a huge 35" bull, but his bow was on the ground.......needless to say the bull walked.....

Looking at going again, but this time in June.......weather wasn't a factor, it was great......

Comment

wtxhunter, what pasture did you get to hunt in?

Comment

Hunted the Draw pasture on Friday.....then hunted Taylor #2 on Sat. and Sun morning......

Comment

I will be there in October, hope to have some luck with a whitetail.

Comment

Which date in Oct.....if the 3rd weekend and for some reason your not able to make it.......sell me your spot......I want to go back again.....it was a blast......

Comment

The hunting was definately tough, but that place has a ton of animals.

I shot a Corsican Ram after figuring out that my initial hunting spot was covered with whitetails and no Axis.

Taxi is right it takes awhile to figure out what you should be doing if you have never been there before. There are whitetails everywhere and they really hammered my chaffhaye.

Good luck in October

Comment

You're telling me that this place takes 30-40 hunters a weekend?....Doesn't sound promising...maybe I'm missing details. I'll try to search for the ranch and see what I can find in the mean time.

Comment

30-40 bow hunters on 26000 acres.....they only allowed 4 hunters per pasture which was great......plenty of places to hunt and some pastures still didn't get hunted.....
                          It is a promising hunt, you just have to do your homework and scout....axis aren't like whitetail.....not as predicting......

Comment

No they don't take 30-40 hunters a weekend. They have two big bow only hunts one un June and one in July. But the ranch is big enough to hunt more than that for bowhunting. There were 4 hunters in my pasture and it had over 1200 acres in it.

Comment

40 bowhunters on 20,000 plus acres. Axis hunts twice a year. You think thats not promising?

Comment

Working...
                              X