People PAYING to cut my cedar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People PAYING to cut my cedar!

Proof will be in the pudding but I have a guy is meeting me at the ranch tomorrow. He will cut my cedar and pay me for ones over 8" in diameter. Says all the limbs and stuff he cuts to get to the "good ones" will be stacked for me. He even gave me a few references.

If it is as good as it seems I will pass his contact info on to anyone who wants it. He said he lives about 30 minutes from our place just west of Dripping Springs.

In in in!!!

Comment

I would be happy with free as well. I would guess look for any hidden disclosures when you sign paperwork, (I hope they have something). Cedar posts/furniture are becoming a hot ticket item, so with an increasing end value, I bet they can put a little more money into sourcing materials???

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
        I would be happy with free as well. I would guess look for any hidden disclosures when you sign paperwork, (I hope they have something). Cedar posts/furniture are becoming a hot ticket item, so with an increasing end value, I bet they can put a little more money into sourcing materials???
        Sure, will make him sign a release of liability for starters. Wouldnt tell him this but he had me at "free". The fact that he is willing to pay for big ones is a bonus. I counted over 20 trees 8"+ and a couple were 18" or so. He said some can get me $50/each.

Comment

I'd be excited but also skeptical. How much of an area is he going to cut?

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
            I'd be excited but also skeptical. How much of an area is he going to cut?
            Anything and anywhere he wants. Only restriction will be around a couple protein feeders we want to keep some barriers on.

Comment

Dont know what his going to do with that size posts but I know they are good corner posts. If they are let the cedars in Bosque county you can almost build a fence out of a tree. the trunk foe corners the limbs 4in and 6in for line 2-3in for stays. Alot of waste if 8in is all he is taking. There is a cedar post yard on 20 if you would like to call (254) 672-5430 with any sizing questions.

Comment

Cedar choppers. They cut the cedar and sale the stays and posts to make fences. They do it all of the time.

Comment

Wow what a deal!

Comment

Originally posted by papapross View Post
                    Dont know what his going to do with that size posts but I know they are good corner posts. If they are let the cedars in Bosque county you can almost build a fence out of a tree. the trunk foe corners the limbs 4in and 6in for line 2-3in for stays. Alot of waste if 8in is all he is taking. There is a cedar post yard on 20 if you would like to call (254) 672-5430 with any sizing questions.
                    I would bet the really big ones are headed to a furniture or mantle guy.

Comment

I have heard of this before and my only advice is to make sure he takes the entire tree. I know too many people who do this and come out and cut the tree 3-4 feet from the ground and leave you with the 3-4 foot stump!!!!!!! Which sucks

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
                        I have heard of this before and my only advice is to make sure he takes the entire tree. I know too many people who do this and come out and cut the tree 3-4 feet from the ground and leave you with the 3-4 foot stump!!!!!!! Which sucks
                        Thats why my expectations will be crystal clear. I will be checking on him after the first day. If it isnt cut like we agreed on the first day will be his last.

Comment

I'd find me a nice shade tree and take my favorite book and a lunch and observe his style.....if you don't like it ,in the beginning is when he needs to be re-directed.....

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                            Says all the limbs and stuff he cuts to get to the "good ones" will be stacked for me.

You need to be VERY clear on how this will be done. I have seen a LOT of country where cedar choppers have been through previously...

Comment

HERE. So, we had them on our place for a year or so. They made a HUGE mess, but did make some roads for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X