How to Refletch Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Refletch Arrows

I was wonder what all I would need to refletch my own arrows and with an offset/helical and how to do it. I dont figure it would be all that hard. I was thinking all I need is a jig (Arizona EZ Fletch Mini Fletching Jig), shaft primer/cleaner, and glue.

Use a razor blade or sharp pocket knife take off whats left of the current vanes and adhesive, then prime the shaft put it in the jig, and then put glue on the vanes and stick them on the saft with the jig. Is that about right GS? Let me know what I need and a quick step by step how to and any special tips if you guys and gals dont mind.

Thanks a ton GS!!

Clean/prep shaft good!!

Comment

I rough the end up using a scotch bright pad. I think it makes better surface for glue to lock into. I also use loktite brand glue

Comment

I just bought an EZ fletch mini Helical and the blazers from ebay and got them in a few days later. After clean up/prep on the arrows, I re fletched 20 arrows in no time. The toughest part was getting the extra glue off the jig. Once you figure out about how much glue, you wont have thet problem.

I basically placed the blazers in the jig and made sure they were all the way down in the slot on the jig, ran a fine line of glue down them, placed my arrow in the jig, closed it up slowly and placed the locking ring on. I let them sit for 3 minutes each and repeat the same process until finished. Maybe 3.5 mins per arrow after prep. It goes by pretty fast. I wont be paying to have them done again.

Comment

Read the sticky thread at the top of this forum. It has a very good step by step description of how to do it. And I suggest using a not so sharp knife to scrape the old adhesive off, so you don't cut into the carbon if it hits a snag.

Sportsman, put some string wax on your clamp and it will keep the excess glue from sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
            Sportsman, put some string wax on your clamp and it will keep the excess glue from sticking to it.
            On my jig "EZ mini helical" the glue was/is filling up the blazer slots where I couldnt push them all the way down. By down, I mean where they would be closer to the nock end of the arrow when you closed the arms up. I was having to scrape the arms after each fletch to get the glue off and out from between the open area where the blazer slides in.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
              And I suggest using a not so sharp knife to scrape the old adhesive off, so you don't cut into the carbon if it hits a snag.
              x2. It is not hard to lift a tiny carbon fiber with a razor blade or sharp knife and make it long and deep (and big) enough to worry about the safety of shooting the arrow. It's one thing for an arrow to break near the tip- another for it to break near the nock and then have the shattered shaft accelerating towards your hand holding the bow.

I never bought the 'right' tool, and use a dull knife and sandpaper (yes it works) to remove any of the old fletching and the residual glue.

Comment

Working...
              X