For your Heartburn or Acid Reflux!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For your Heartburn or Acid Reflux!!

Seriously, if you get it, try eating a couple of tablespoons of mustard then drink some water and it'll do the trick!! the vinegar in the mustard counters the acid, it's the biologist coming out in me, sorry!! I hope this helps anyone who has this problem, it works for me and others I have told, I hope it works for you!!

Drew

How can vinegar (acetic acid) "counter" stomach acid (HCl)? I am not doubting that the mustard releives the burn, but I was just questioning the mechanism by which it works.

Comment

I wondered the same thing.

Comment

Well, I wondered the same when I first heard of it!! I'm not a chemist but it's one of those wonderful things the human body does, it actually will "neutralize" the acid (atleast that's what the studies say) !!! It's the same if you were to drink apple cider vinegar and add baking soda (I'd rather eat some mustard!! ), something about it causes a reaction that would be just like eating ashes or a charcoal effect, it just "absorbs" and turns the acid basic or the pH levels to become more alkaline!! Hope this somehow makes sense, if it doesn't then just eat the mustard and don't ask how!! No seriously, I hope it works for you, it's almost instant relief!! Also if you take Ibuprofen, it will cause acid reflux as well in most people!!

Drew

Comment

Didn't explain it, but I will try it. Good info about the Advil, that may be one of my culprits.

Comment

A little table vinegar will hurt going down but will relieve in just a second.

I do it. And it works.

Hank

Comment

Same thing with the mustard. It burnt like the ****ens, but did relieve the burn. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

whoa.....what happened to my post? The word ****ens was changed. Just in case it changes it again the word was d i c k e n s.

Comment

glad to be of service, the bill is in the mail!!lol

Comment

How can vinegar (acetic acid) "counter" stomach acid (HCl)?
                    It doesn't actually counter or neutralize stomach acid. In fact, it lowers the pH, exactly as you would expect. Yet, it does help prevent heartburn. I'll try to explain why, but I'm no doctor...

There's a valve in the esophagus that supposed to keep the stomach acid down below it. When this valve gets "lazy," stomach acid gets past it, creating heartburn. Ironically, the thing that makes it get lazy is not enough stomach acid. Acid triggers the valve to close; the stronger the acid, the tighter it closes. The acid is still plenty strong enough to create the burning sensation, but not strong enough to make the valve close as tightly as it's supposed to after a meal. So when you add some more acid in the form of vinagar, it triggers the valve to stay closed more tightly and prevents the stomach acid from coming up.

Not sure I explained it all that great, but there is plenty of info about it available on the internet. By the way, that is why some people get hooked on Tums, Rolaids, etc. They take them to prevent heartburn. It raises the pH in their stomach so that the stomach liquid doesn't burn anymore, even though it still gets past the valve. But the acid also doesn't do what it's supposed to do, which is help digest your food. So they just train that valve to get lazier and lazier and their "need" for Tums increases. This gets everything out of whack and their digestive system stops working the way it was intended to work. I've known people that take two or three with EVERY meal! Not good! Not good at all!

Comment

I tried the mustard trick just a few minutes ago. Will update you all soon!

With my high cholesterol I have been told if I take a few tablespoons of the apple cider vinegar a day it will help lower it. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Comment

My wife tried this, man it worked great! She has treid all kinds of meds and nothing worked as well as this has! I don't know opr care why I'm just glad it worked!

Comment

WooHoo!!
                          Then my drinking of pickle juice has even MORE benefits!

Comment

Baking Soda

Just get about a 1/4 spoon full of arm and hammer baking soda and a sip of water and it will cure your hearburn in about 5 seconds. (It tastes a little like sand).It goes down much easier than mustard in my opinion.

Remember from science class that baking soda is a neutralizer.

Comment

I have heard the mustard trick for years and have used it in emergency and it works,but man tryin to stomach raw mustard especially in the morning is hard to take.

Comment

Working...
                              X