winter mix for food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winter mix for food plots

Does anyone have a reccommendation for a seed mix to plant during the fall. We planted rye/oats last year but once it got over a certain height they weren't coming to it anymore.
    thanks

the only thing we get to come up well is oats and clovers. but im sure it just depends on what your soil is like. they prefer it when its just about 4-6 inches but usually come through later too.

Comment

I would not plant Rye...Cereal Rye that is. It grows way too fast in the fall and gets coarse in a hurry if it is not kept grazed down. I would go with wheat, oats, and winter peas.

Comment

Once wheat/oats or rye get to a certain height they won't come.. It gets to stemmy.. From what they say..

I'd stick with Shane's suggestion of wheat/oats and austrailian winter peas or something...

Comment

if your planting plain bob oats then you can expect the deer to turn off of them when they get too tall. This is because they get really course and fiberous. If you plant an oat designed for forage production, like Buck Forage then you shouldn't have a problem. Forage oats are designed to stay palatable longer, and they provide a higher tonnage production due to more tillering. This means that they produce more shoots per root system than typicall bob oats.

Comment

What we do if the grazing pressure is not there is mow some strips in the plot...or mow the whole thing. When that new, tender growth starts back the deer are all over it again.

Comment

Krolls' - Buck Forage Oats. I don't know what kind of oats they are, but i've seen deer walk half way over a pasture of Imperial No-Plow to get to those oats. Time & time again.

Comment

Originally posted by Eskimo2 View Post
                Krolls' - Buck Forage Oats. I don't know what kind of oats they are, but i've seen deer walk half way over a pasture of Imperial No-Plow to get to those oats. Time & time again.
                they are a great product, I've used them at my place in Houston County, as well as hunted at Mustang Creek Ranch. The deer keep them mowed down throughout the whole season.

Comment

Our plots don't ever get big enough to get stemmy, they keep them grazed down like a fairway. We plant Marshall rye, wheat, bob oats, vetch, Austrian winter peas, 3 varieties of clover. For best results, you will need a soil test to determine if lime and fertilizer are needed and what quantities. In East Texas, we lime every other year due to the acidic soils. Also, you need to plant at least 5-10% of your land in plots or the deer will devour them before they get established.

Comment

Working...
                  X