baby spinach salad with hot bacon dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baby spinach salad with hot bacon dressing

Got a new recipe worked out that absolutely rocks. I made it yesterday for the mothers.

Cut 3/4 of a pound of peppered bacon into short 1-2" slices.
    Fry in a big cast iron skillet till very crisp. Remove bacon and dry on paper towels. Pour bacon drippings out of skillet leaving all the crumbles and about 3 tablespoons of oil. Set skillet aside temporarily.

Mix red wine vinegar and brown sugar in a 2 to 1 ratio. I just did it by eye but probably used 1 1/2 cups vinegar and 3/4 cup brown sugar. To that I added 1 teaspoon dried mustard and 1 teaspoon paprika, salt and pepper. Stir together well and make sure there are no clumps and sugar is dissolved.

Slice about 15 small green onions including the tops. Crumble the bacon. Put the skillet back on at medium heat and sautee the onions. When they start to soften/turn opaque de-glaze the skillet with the wine vinegar mixture. Make sure the vent is on and don't breathe too close to the skillet. Add the crumbled bacon back. Keep stirring for a couple more minutes. If the mixture gets too "dry" you can just add more red wine vinegar.

Pour it over the baby spinach (I had it in a 10" stainless bowl) and toss the spinach in the dressing. If you think it's too wet/tart you can just keep adding spinach as long as it still gets coated with the dressing.

Dang it was good!

that does sound good!

Comment

That sounds amazing!

Comment

Nothing like some old-fashioned wilted lettuce.

Comment

sounds great, i'll give it a try. thanks

Comment

Working...
          X