New limbs or new bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New limbs or new bow?

I got a '05 Bowtech Patriot about 6 months ago. I've noticed a couple of 1/8" wide splinters coming up on the inside of the bottom limb. Since I'm the second owner the warranty does me no good. New limbs will cost at least $185. I only have about $160 in the bow itself. Is it worth fixing? Is the bow worth anything with the damaged limb? Is the bow shootable (splintering appears to be in the top layer only about 1/2" wide split between 2 splinters) or repairable?

I wouldn't shoot anything with splintered limbs - not worth the bow exploding and losing an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
      I wouldn't shoot anything with splintered limbs - not worth the bow exploding and losing an eye.
      x2 ^

I would probably get a new bow... I am no expert, but I would think that limbs for an '05 would be hard to find.

Comment

Both Bowtech and Barnsdale make replacement limbs.

Comment

Did you check with Barnsdale? I've heard they make just about all limbs for the bow companies. You might also check archerytalk.

Comment

i would never . . . . ever . . . . ever again pull that bow back.

Ever, never, ever again.

If you want the bow barnsdale makes great limbs for it. personally i switch bows every year or two so an 05 would have been gone in 06

Comment

To me it would depend on your budget. Can you afford or justify the expense of a new bow?

Also while your replacing limbs you should look at the string, it may need to be changed as well. This would add about $125 to your project.

Just some food for thought.

Comment

new bow. it'll be like Christmas all over again.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. A new bow to me is going to be several years old. The string is in good shape. Is the bow worth anything with the damaged limb? If I took the money I'd spend on the new limbs and any money I can get for the bow I can find something on the forums that will work for me. Heck, the accessories the bow came with are worth more than I paid for the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by chadt1234 View Post
                    Thanks for all the feedback. A new bow to me is going to be several years old. The string is in good shape. Is the bow worth anything with the damaged limb? If I took the money I'd spend on the new limbs and any money I can get for the bow I can find something on the forums that will work for me. Heck, the accessories the bow came with are worth more than I paid for the bow.
                    I doubt anyone would buy a bow with damaged limbs . . . but you never know - one's born every minute .

Comment

Working...
                    X