ABC Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABC Ranch

This was our third trip to the ABC Bowhunting Ranch in San Saba. It was my two sons, ShizNitz and Fig, Olphart (me), a friend named Paul, and two grandsons, Nicholas (11) and Garrett (5). We arrived at different times on Friday afternoon/evening. Nicholas and I went to the bus stop stand, while Paul went to #5, and ShizNitz (Robert) went to #1. Pigs started in around 8 that evening for Nicholas and me (I was trying to let him get his first pig with his bow), but two groups came close and smelled us and high-tailed it out of there. The wind was blowing from the south, carrying our scent from the back of the bus directly to the feeder area. Paul had a couple of groups come in and nerves got the best of him...two misses. Robert got a case of the nerves and missed one pig, then another group came in and he nailed the one pictured. He had Garrett with him and also made a video of the shot, so maybe he'll post that. Fig (Richard) showed up later and went to what should be #7 (between the bus and the gate). He saw pigs but didn't get a shot.

The next morning, nothing happened at any of the stands as they were only active during the night. We decided to stalk a couple of places where we had success on a previous trip. The pigs somehow got by us and nobody got a shot.

Saturday evening, I set up a pop-up blind to the east of the bus stop feeder so I would not have my scent blowing to them, but didn't see anything until after dark. Richard took Nicholas to #7, Paul hung at #5, and Robert took Garrett back to his pop-up on #1. Robert didn't see anything, Paul stuck a pig in the back of the neck and pretty much dropped it right where it stood. Nicholas got a shot and stuck a pig a little too far forward and the pig ran off with his arrow. A short time later, Richard stuck a pig from another group. Neither one of those were found, even with the help of Ollie, the owners' Fox Terrier. I picked up Paul and his pig and took them to camp where Paul could start working and I returned to my stand to do some early nightfall hunting. I had placed some solar powered lights on the feeder legs, and had my Hawglite all ready. I was back in the stand about 5 minutes and I saw some black spots moving about 40 yards away. I could tell there was 3, 2 smaller ones with a mama, but they were content to eat the corn I had laid out to entice them in. They got what they wanted, but never did come into the lighted area. Upon return Sunday morning to get my stand and lights, the corn had been vacuumed up. Oh well, it was a good idea anyway!

Sunday morning, I stayed at camp and started packing and loading while watching the grandkids. The others went out stalking and looking for the missing pigs. Nicholas' pig was seen running around with a neck wound, but no arrow. The others stalked and ran pigs with Richard getting two, one with a bow while the pig was running. The other was shot with a rifle the owner had as the pig was wounded (not by us).

Even though I didn't get a shot, I enjoyed the trip and getting in the woods with my boys and 2 grandkids. The pigs are very nervous and cautious as they have been shot at repeatedly when they are at the feeders. There are a lot of meat pigs (Robert's was around 70 pounds) and there are some bruisers that I didn't see.

The owners need hunters as they have a lot of pigs in the pasture with few hunters booking. Give Richard Smith a call. Were I to do it again, I'd put a pop-up on one of the pigs' travel routes and spread some corn to slow them down a bit. Night hunting should be very productive. Whether you hunt an existing stand or one you place, be very attentive to the wind direction. The pigs are!
    Last edited by Olphart; 08-01-2016, 08:44 AM.

Thanks for the informative post. I am looking at taking some family members to ABC in San Saba for a wknd hunt. I can see why the pigs are a bit skittish, and your tips will be helpful.

Comment

No problem! That's why I post about the hunts. Get a few!

Comment

Working...
      X