Opening rifle weekend in Lavaca County - My old man wins the weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening rifle weekend in Lavaca County - My old man wins the weekend

Got on stand later this morning as front blew throwing about 1 hour before daylight. Kendra and I made it to rifle blind. We have given up at the moment in trying to get a deer on corn and want to get out two mld doe tags addressed before Thanksgiving as we have a lot going on currently with her mom and I want to get back on the saltwater.

Heard a shot around 7:30 that sounded like it came from the home place. Knowing pops was “hunting” from the shop , I text him if that was him.

He replied “yeah, believe we have one to clean”.

When we made it back to the shop , I saw his Gun set up in picture # 1 as is and him no where in sight (he was in the house at that moment ). I figured he had left his gun from where he had shot , but found it odd it was not pointed at either feeder you can see from the shop or house , but rather at a very large live oak tree at the property border.

I peeked through the scope and didn’t see anything , so went in the house.

Found him and he told me she was down at the fence, as she had been feeding on acorns. Wind was right and he felt he had the gun dialed in for the shot , so he tried his first really long shot at a deer (having already taken pigs further and routinely shot three of his rifles at his steel target at ranges from 350-750).

The 2nd picture shows the eye view to the timber line that marks the end of our property.

The 3rd picture shows the doe and view back to house and shop. The red barn/shop (right most building ) is where pics one and two were taken from.

Pops has always been a gun nut of sorts. I got him to try archery and he relented , but quit after a single bad shot in season one left him disgusted.

Once he retired , he kicked it up a notch or ten. With a little more discretionary time on his hands (its a working 130 acre farm with cattle , big gardens to tend too. He has totally and almost single handily restored my mom and sisters homestead. 100 acres of hand planted grass, has improved the place and he is always fighting huisache. In his free time, he gets in his weekly golf in Halletsville and fishing trips to the coast. I didn’t mention the new fence around the entire place , oil pipe cattle pens, as well as corners and all cattle guards (all self built ).

710 yard shot with his 58 year old 264 he bought out of high school, with a high end long distance military scope and custom hand loads. Taken by a steady handed 77 year old man.

Too bad this all CLEARLY skipped a generation. Maybe Cory or Blake....

My old man...how did your dads do this weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Wow

Comment

Great shot. Congrats to him!!

Comment

Awesome! Would say he had it dialed in. My mother lives north of Moravia and said a neighbor shot a nice buck yesterday. I haven’t had any cameras running this year, so I’m not even sure what’s running around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow and congrats to him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice shot! Congrats!

Comment

Nice Shooting

Comment

WOW!!!! Good shot.

Comment

Steady hand indeed!! Congratulations on a great shot and some fine eatin'!

Comment

I think he won the season too, Gary~!

Wow!

Comment

Dialed in for sure! Great story...

Comment

Bad dude!

Comment

Awesome shot !

Comment

He's out of my league for sure. Great shot

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk