Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #1
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath
Default We are eating to much salt.

The FDA can`t help themselves. These F...ing idiots don`t really want to solve the problem or they would try to get people to reduce SUGAR intake and not salt. I do not think either should be regulated, but people need to understand how bad sugar and carbs are for you. I can`t believe how many times I have heard this in the last 2 days on each news cycle. God forbid the media reports on something that is newsworthy. They are so F...ing lazy.

(WJW) – The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is asking restaurants and food manufacturers to cut salt in their products. The goal is to reduce Americans’ sodium intake by 12% over the next 2.5 years. Read the FDA guidance here The FDA says more than 70% of sodium intake is from sodium added during food preparation and manufacturing.
FDA salt guidelines
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

People eat at restaurants because the food tastes good. Guess what makes food taste good. lol
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Yep, they don't need us dying from diabetes and high blood pressure now that their covid virus is in full swing.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

They care less about health. They care about slowly pushing the citizens into believing they are king and always know what’s best for us. Unfortunately they have a large segment of the population under control already.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #5
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

My doc took me off salt years ago. I can eat everything without adding salt except fried eggs. Last blood work showed me low on sodium. Doc said go ahead and use a little salt but don't get carried away! Darned if you do and darned if you don't! LOL!!
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #6
Richard M.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke Co.

This is dumb. If there's a salt shaker on the table what do you think people are gonna do?
Richard M. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas,Idaho and Utah

Lots of new studies that show salt is not the problem.
As stated above Sugar and Carbs are the real problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
Tyrex750
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

We dont use salt hardly at all anyways
Tyrex750 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #9
Clay C
Pope & Young

Eat less, move more.

Follow that and you'll likely be fine.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #10
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

THere are alot of oblivious people who do not know that the salt added from a salt shaker is not the salt/sodium that makes up such high numbers in unhealthy, quick, processed foods.

That accounts for less then 10% of overall sodium intake!!!!!

Try the sodium added to processed foods or salt added to these foods to keep them fresh. Hence canned items having so much sodium. Preserves the food
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #11
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M. View Post
This is dumb. If there's a salt shaker on the table what do you think people are gonna do?
We don't have a salt shaker on our table. I may add a little to something when it is cooking, but never add at the table. I lost my taste for salt back when I was a kid. Playing football they would give us handfuls of salt tablets at practice and during games. There were no sport drinks back then.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #12
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Salt is only an issue for people with hypertension. The FDA can go.....themselves.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #13
ladrones
Pope & Young

Some salts have minerals, trace elements and much lower percentages of sodium chloride. Most washed table salts are in the 97-99% range of sodium chloride.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #14
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

most could probably use a little less of everything they give themselves on a daily basis.

sugar and carbs can literally be done without...wish i could make that happen.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #15
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

The sugar lobby is much bigger than the salt lobby apparently.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #16
kcnatural
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills CO.

I was a big time Dr. Pepper and sweet tea drinker. About 5 years ago I got on the scales and it hit 279. I said that's enough and cut out sugar, and in about 6 months I was at 215. One thing that helped no sugar made me a lot more active. It is crazy what sugar does to you.

As for salt, when I sweat a lot I get cravings for pickle juice. That's how I know my sodium is low.
kcnatural is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #17
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

So all the fat asses I see out and about are just carrying excess water weight around from too much salt? Got it.

Most people have no idea what a proper portion of food looks like. These all you can eat buffets and giant platters of food dished out at restaurants have a lot to do with it. You want to biggie size that for a dollar more? It isnt the salt.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #18
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

One of these days the FDA may accidentally say somethings bad for you and it actually be bad for you. Then what are we going to do?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #19
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

1. I gave up fast food now almost 4 years ago. When I occasionally do eat it on hunting and fishing trips when no other quick food is available. I am absolutly amazed at how salty it all is.

2. When I started traveling the world I also realized how salty our food is compared to nearly everywhere I have been.

Having said both of those things...I do not think a business of any sort should be forced to reduce the amount of sodium they choose to put in the food they are selling. I do think we should make more people aware in the amount of sodium in our American diets, and let them decided for themselves based on that information. If enough people decided against high sodium content the food industry will self adjust.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #20
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County (2015-2021) Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
So all the fat asses I see out and about are just carrying excess water weight around from too much salt? Got it.

Most people have no idea what a proper portion of food looks like. These all you can eat buffets and giant platters of food dished out at restaurants have a lot to do with it. You want to biggie size that for a dollar more? It isnt the salt.
Yes I agree with this!!

I'm unluckily in this category. Last time I got weighed I was 340
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #21
Filletem
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca/Hardin Counties

So we get our sodium from food prep and eating the food. Well I haven’t been licking on my cows salt blocks so yea that’s most likely where I get it from. How many scientists did it take to come to that conclusion.
Filletem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #22
Casey
Administrator

Hunt In: Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
The sugar lobby is much bigger than the salt lobby apparently.
This. Just google sugar lobby and you'll get all the info you need.

Sugar is poison.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #23
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Salt, sugar, carbs - nome of them are a problem unless you cant regulate how much of each you consume
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #24
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
People eat at restaurants because the food tastes good. Guess what makes food taste good. lol
Most pro chefs will tell you if your version of a dish isn't as good as the restaurants it is lacking in two items: BUTTER AND SALT and lots of it.
Ætheling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #25
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post

Exactly.

Sugar, seed oils, processed carbs.....That's the stuff that's killing people.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #26
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Isn't this FDA the same people that said the shot would be safe and keep everyone from getting Covid?
I guess we can trust them now.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #27
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpack View Post
The FDA can`t help themselves. These F...ing idiots don`t really want to solve the problem or they would try to get people to reduce SUGAR intake and not salt. I do not think either should be regulated, but people need to understand how bad sugar and carbs are for you. I can`t believe how many times I have heard this in the last 2 days on each news cycle. God forbid the media reports on something that is newsworthy. They are so F...ing lazy.

(WJW) – The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is asking restaurants and food manufacturers to cut salt in their products. The goal is to reduce Americans’ sodium intake by 12% over the next 2.5 years. Read the FDA guidance here The FDA says more than 70% of sodium intake is from sodium added during food preparation and manufacturing.
FDA salt guidelines
I agree with the FDA……. that more than 70% of our sodium intake comes from that added during what is preparation.

Duhhh…..
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #28
sharpshooter1
Six Point

Hunt In: The South Texas brush

I don’t think it’s salt that’s the problem. It’s the ultra processed foods and sugar.
sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:42 PM   #29
DirtyDave
Ten Point

You need salt to survive.
You don't need sugar and carbs. Fun fact: Cancer needs sugar to survive.

Replace sugar/carbs in your diet with FAT

Sugar and Food industry has given Fat and Salt a bad rap.
Big Food and Big Pharma are in cahoots to keep people unhealthy for profit.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #30
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas

Quote:

FDA salt guidelines
After reading this at our restaurant we thought about it, talked about, ended up laughing about it and forgetting about it. We’d be out of business in a week. Govt needs to mind their on da*n buisiness.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #31
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Better yet, Mr. potato head want to mandate I get a foreign chemical injection…. BUT in the name of health and public safety I can walk in a store NOW and buy a pack of cigarettes. Or vape oil…. I think it has vitamin c of something. It’s healthy
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #32
JKing01
Nubbin' Buck

I almost never add salt to my food.
Drinking sweet tea on the other hand. That is a hard working appliance in my kitchen.
JKing01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:02 PM   #33
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Salt is how mammals maintain moisture balance across cell membranes. Iodine is a major lacking nutrient in most human diets.

Death by idiocy. Biden does this.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #34
C-dubyah
Eight Point

Sugar, seed oils, processed carbs, alcohol, salt.... the things I want and can't have.
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #35
ram04
Eight Point

Hunt In: The woods, Val verde/Edwards line

Playing devil's advocate here and excluding the government using regulation, at what point do people being heavily overweight from lifestyle choices coming down with very serious health diseases putting immense strain on a healthcare system have to take responsibility for increasing everyone's insurance? I'm fairly young and looking around at millions of older and younger people who completely disregard their health steadily stuffing their mouths full of junk makes me wonder how the country will pay for ever increasing healthcare costs.
ram04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #36
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram04 View Post
Playing devil's advocate here and excluding the government using regulation, at what point do people being heavily overweight from lifestyle choices coming down with very serious health diseases putting immense strain on a healthcare system have to take responsibility for increasing everyone's insurance? I'm fairly young and looking around at millions of older and younger people who completely disregard their health steadily stuffing their mouths full of junk makes me wonder how the country will pay for ever increasing healthcare costs.
One would've thought the last 18 months would have made a pretty good impact on the way we look at our health.

Last edited by jshouse; 10-14-2021 at 02:02 PM.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #37
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

From salt to sugar and now covid. Does any thread stay on subject any longer?
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #38
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:

FDA salt guidelines
Check out the Nosy People thread and then determine if you are one.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #39
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

People are just going to add the salt right back in from teh salt shaker on the table.

I 100% agree with you that sugar is a big problem. I saw a graph that showed sugar consumption and obesity once and laid on top of each other they are very similar.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #40
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I must have hit a nerve. Sorry, would you pass the salt.
tpack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 02:29 PM   #41
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Y’all are starting to make this fatazz feel really self-conscious.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #42
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

If you want to know what to eat and what not to eat, find someone who is 100 yrs. old and ask them. Ask them what kind of lifestyle they had.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #43
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

When the Government steps in to treat us like children, like we are seeing, then you can bet that there are ulterior motives. They have forgotten that they work for us because there is no accountability in Washington.
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #44
stevieray54
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever

Most restaurants no longer have Salt and Pepper on the table due to Covid and another way to save. You have to ask for it. I have been salt free for over 2 years. Some of the places I eat is like they over added the salt and to think I used to salt everything down before I ate it. Now I just add pepper and use a salt free seasoning
stevieray54 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #45
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
Y’all are starting to make this fatazz feel really self-conscious.

Obesity is a problem that 99.9% of the time is self inflicted.

Since personal responsibility doesn't exist these days maybe a cure for obesity is in the works. Magic pill of something.

Good luck Geezy!!

JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #46
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa

Add salt only to eggs at breakfast and maters also! No sugar in tea at home but will drink sweet tea dining out if it is not Bourbon!

Salt, Sugar and Carbs are not bad IF done in moderation. Want to loose weight, easy peasy. Burn more calories than you take in, you will normally loose weight. Moderation!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #47
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Eat the food you like…..

In the grand scheme of things there are very few people that I give a crap whether they live or die.

The govt needs to stop covering the costs of people’s healthcare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #48
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Use good salt if your gonna use it. Pink salt is about it for me..or sometimes the sea salt. Iodized is for the bug killer gun!
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #49
MUZZYSLINGR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home and wherever i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

Got a link? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #50
Runnin4D
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Add salt only to eggs at breakfast and maters also! No sugar in tea at home but will drink sweet tea dining out if it is not Bourbon!

Salt, Sugar and Carbs are not bad IF done in moderation. Want to loose weight, easy peasy. Burn more calories than you take in, you will normally loose weight. Moderation!
Although burning more cals than taken in may be true, it’s been proven this method is a terrible way to lose and maintain weight loss. Maintain being the key.
Runnin4D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top