Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-14-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
Kong
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma Texas
Default Big Bore Question

If any of you somewhat older guys enjoy big bores Iím interested in how you go about load development/sighting them in as far as shooting them off the bench? Iíve been a big bore lover since I was a teenager and Ive got a bunch of them but as Iíve gotten older I can still shoot them in a hunting situation but working up loads and sighting them in has become increasingly hard to sit behind them for multiple rounds. I bought another 416 Rem. Mag and it about killed me after the 6th round so itís time for a change.
Iím thinking itís probably time to ease up on them but theyíve been my passion for so long itís like telling me to go dig my own grave and Iím looking for any suggestions. I canít find anyone local that wants to sit behind them to be the trigger guy so here I am asking you for help.

If anyone in NE Tx wants to help out and and shoot some crazy calibers at times let me know, Iíd certainly appreciate the help or if you have any genius ideas Iím all ears
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:12 AM   #2
Walker
Ten Point

I've got a 375 h&h that I won't shoot off the bench any more. Luckily I'm pretty set on my loads and for zeroing I've got a 32yo son. I've got no advice for your situation. And I don't care what the gun magazines say, it's not more of a push than a kick.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Don't shoot them off a bench. Use shooting sticks. Shooting from the standing position is much easier because your body can flex and move more than it can if you're seated.
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:18 AM   #4
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb

Iíve never used one but the first thing that comes to mind is the Cadwell Lead Sled. Its a weighted rifle rest that I believe uses a backstop behind the buttstock to absorb the recoil. That may be the ticket.

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/res...-3/820310.html
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
Burwabit
Four Point

Hunt In: Marquez, Leon County, TX

Lead Sled is the ticket
Burwabit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

Build a shooting bench that you can use standing up. Makes a world of difference.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #7
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Lead Sled is a bad idea for big bore rifles with wood stocks. Shoot off sticks or tripod and find a younger shoulder for load development is the best i got.
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #8
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

I sight mine in at the ranch, shoot it 3 or 4 times then go do something else for a little bit. If you spread it out over an hour or so it's not too bad. I also shoot off my knees on the bench, in an upright position.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:57 AM   #9
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
Iíve never used one but the first thing that comes to mind is the Cadwell Lead Sled. Its a weighted rifle rest that I believe uses a backstop behind the buttstock to absorb the recoil. That may be the ticket.

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/res...-3/820310.html
I have heard of guys damaging very heavy recoiling guns on those things. Never used one, just stuff I have read.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #10
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Are they classic double barrel rifles? If not I’d just have a muzzle brake installed and you’ll be good.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #11
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Build a shooting bench that you can use standing up. Makes a world of difference.

∆∆∆ this is the answer. I believe at Holland and Holland and other big bore double rifle builders they use a standing bench to regulate the barrels.
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #12
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

If you were in the area where I live, I would not mind shooting that gun at all. I am betting that is one sweet gun.

You might talk to an older gunsmith. I know there are weights and or weighted devices, you can have installed in the stock to tame the recoil some. Then maybe a bit better recoil pad. The factory recoil pads, if that's what you have on the gun, are usually not the best.

I don't know what bullets you are shooting and what you are using the gun for. But I would stay away from the solid copper or solid brass bullets, they will increase the recoil. If you need a bullet for big dangerous game, like buffalo, I would stick to some of the conventional lead core bullets with the heavy jacketing, that used to be known as solids, in the days before the solid copper bullets. A soft point bullet should have a little less recoil, likely a little thinner jacketing. If you have been shooting and reloading those guns for years, you should know this stuff. But just incase, someone sold you on solid copper bullets and did not tell you the recoil was going to go up some.

I know my first time shooting Barnes solid copper bullets back in the 80s, was an experience. I was trying to develop a load for a 30-06, with some 200 gr. Barnes solids. I never could get the powder charge low enough the primers looked safe. The recoil went up a lot with those bullets. That 30-06, had a good bit more than a modern 30-06, to begin with, but with those Barnes bullets, it definitely stepped up the recoil quite a few notches. I could imagine, in a big gun, they would be all types of fun.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #13
Kong
Six Point

The lead sleds don’t work for big bores, I’ve busted more then a few scopes using them. On smaller calibers they work great but anything over 30 cal’s you start pushing the envelope of what the scopes can take.

I’ve never thought about going the stand up route for sighting in and load development but it honestly makes sense and I’m going to try one today on a rifle I knows ready to go and see if I can shoot a group with it. If it’s anywhere close I’ll build a bench and go this route. Most of the guns I buy are bolt guns but I have about a dozen double guns but those don’t require scopes and the accuracy past 50 yards isn’t really anything I’m concerned with and I rarely shoot unless I get a wild hair and kill a pig with an express which happens about once a year normally after they tick me off and I want to destroy them.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #14
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I don't shoot much on the bench but I tried one of these things the last time and it takes the bite off quite a bit. They make thicker versions too. https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-3500...dp/B0009TRNRK/
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 10:23 AM   #15
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Kind of a long way around but I have done light loads to get the windage set and a chrony to understand the velocity. I then use my loading manual and (free) ballistics software to predict the elevation change needed on the scope for the full power loads. Usually only takes 2-3 full power and I’m set. Gotta be a little more patient but this works for me with my heavy kickers. 375 Ruger, 458 Lott, 338-378 Wby, and will use it at some point for my 460 Wby.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #16
kcnatural
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills CO.

As others have stated don't use a lead sled. I've personally seen a stock break at the grip on a 7 mag. This was a beautiful high grade stock too not a cheap savage wood stock.
kcnatural is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #17
tgridley
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hays County

Put a brake on it.
tgridley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #18
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgridley View Post
Put a brake on it.
To loud, I am not a fan of muzzle breaks , nearly blew my eardrums out killing nilgai with a break , so loud earplugs and phones are useless, I donít think PHís in Africa let hunters use them ?
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #19
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I've always been a fan of them big loudenboomers. At age 75 I am now starting to appreciate muzzlebrakes. My shoulder ain't what it used to be and my hearing has been gone for a long time so the noise don't bother me none. She chews me out and cusses me all day long and I just nod and smile. I can still go 20 to 30 rounds on the bench with the 300WSM and 7WSM but I have a brake on the 338 WSM. My 308's and 6.5 and all the AR's don't bother me none at all. I prefer them without the brake screwed on as it helps accuracy.
I do use good Walker digital ear muffs to deal with the concussion. These Walkers are especially good on indoor pistol ranges shooting the ported .41 mag

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 10-14-2021 at 07:35 PM.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #20
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

I've been known to put small sandbags between my shoulder and the stock. As well as wear a PAST recoil pad. And sometimes a short thick winter jacket too.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #21
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Obviously you understand that sitting upright as much as possible helps, so the standing bench rest makes sense to me too.

How about clamped into a tripod?
You may not be interested in putting Arca rails on your rifles, but I think shooting off a tripod may help. I just sent off my 375 H&H to be completely worked over, and I'm putting an Arca rail on the new stock. I have only had my nice RRS tripod a short while, but I can keep an honest 1 minute group while sitting with a 308 and a 6.5CM. I've never done it with a 375, but planning to try.
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #22
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
This is how the professional double rifle builders regulate the barrels so that they both shoot to point of aim at the 50/60 yard mark. It takes lots of shots unless they get really lucky.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:18 PM   #23
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

The main point is to not be leaning into the gun. Stand as erect as possible and roll with the recoil.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #24
Kong
Six Point

I appreciate it guys, I’m going to do some experimenting this weekend.