Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 10-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #1
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho
Default 80 lb Draw Weight bows?

I am looking for a bow, and want to go to a 80 lb draw weight. I have to research a bit before going to the bow shop so I know what I am getting into. I want to understand the very basics before I got to the bow shop, and Google has not been very helpful in my searches.

Does anyone make an 80 lb draw weight bow that is light enough to be carried through the elk woods?
Do I have to go to aftermarket limbs to get there?
What does it do to the life of the bow?
Does one company make a better bow to modify than others? I am preferential to Mathews, but I hold no loyalty to any company.
What else should I consider?

My end game is to shoot a 500 gr arrow out to 100 yards. I don't plan to shoot at animals that far, but for target practice, nothing makes a 70 yard shot easier than practicing at 80 yards. And my current HTX, while it works for that shot, it maxxed around 80 yards.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

I know Pse and Hoyt does. I will add when my pse was at 76 I was able to get wayyy past 100 with my sight. 76/28/494/283 FPS. Now at 65 lbs with the same arrow I can still get 100
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
I know Pse and Hoyt does. I will add when my pse was at 76 I was able to get wayyy past 100 with my sight. 76/28/494/283 FPS. Now at 65 lbs with the same arrow I can still get 100
Good to know. Going to start looking there. I appreciate it.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
KevinG
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Panhandle, OK

I have the Matthews V3 27. 75 LB module’s and a custom string made it’s peak draw weight 82LBs.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
I have the Matthews V3 27. 75 LB moduleís and a custom string made itís peak draw weight 82LBs.
Interesting. How do you like it? Do you know what you are getting for speed? How heavy of arrow are you shooting?
Old 10-14-2021, 03:01 PM   #6
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
I have the Matthews V3 27. 75 LB moduleís and a custom string made itís peak draw weight 82LBs.
Could be a dangerous way to run that bow. 2-3# above your listed weight is ok. 7# means you could be running it well beyond factory spec and void your warranty.

Not saying thatís the case here, just something you may want to check. Run a tape on your ATA and BH measurements to be sure youíre not overtwisted on your cables.

To the OP, an 80# bow is going to have the same mass weight as a 70# bow, so thatís not an issue. Youíre going to have a tough time finding a shop that has one on the shelf, so thereís something to think about before purchasing. Go draw back and let down on a 70# bow. If itís tough to let down without it yanking your arm, I wouldnít recommend an 80# bow.

However, itís your bow so do whatever youíd like and have fun shooting!
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2021, 11:08 PM   #7
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

[QUOTE=popup_menace;15873563]Could be a dangerous way to run that bow. 2-3# above your listed weight is ok. 7# means you could be running it well beyond factory spec and void your warranty.

oh I don't know. All you can do is crank it all the way up and that won't void warranty. I have cranked every bow I have had all the way up and never got more than a pound or two over the 70lb rating but every bow is different.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #8
Black-N-Red
Ten Point

Iíd recommend looking at the PSE Full Throttle. It can do what an 80#er can do at 70#ís. Iíve got mine set at 60#ís now & shoots a 471gr @ 295. Also I have freind that has an 80# bow, I believe itís Hoyt but not sure. Iíll have to ask him his specs on the bow but heís shooting a 500gr arrow @ 300. My Full Throttle at 70 is a tad bit faster than his. Weíre supposed to get together & shoot & I can get some #ís for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2021, 07:52 AM   #9
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

My last Hoyt (nitrum) and the one now (ventum) are 80 lbs. I carried the nitrum after elk several times.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
Edward F
Ten Point

Hunt In: Georgetown, Granger and Ozona

I have an RX3 that’s 80#.
Edward F is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2021, 08:41 AM   #11
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Thanks for the info everyone. I will be researching heavily once I get home.

Once the new bows come out and the bow shop traffic dies down a bit, I will be going in to see what they can do for me.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:55 AM   #12
Mr. Whiskers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I shot 80 lbs for a good while. All Bowtech Bows. Allegiance, Tribute, Guardian and Insanity. I still have the Insanity.
Mr. Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 10:35 AM   #13
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the place

RX5 ultra is a solid bow that goes up to 80#. Thinking about trading in my bear (which I love) to buy one.
IOWA BOW HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #14
SETX_Insanity
Four Point

Hunt In: Newton, Orange, Sabine Co

[quote=Tom;15880067]
Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post
Could be a dangerous way to run that bow. 2-3# above your listed weight is ok. 7# means you could be running it well beyond factory spec and void your warranty.

oh I don't know. All you can do is crank it all the way up and that won't void warranty. I have cranked every bow I have had all the way up and never got more than a pound or two over the 70lb rating but every bow is different.
Put a few twists in your cables and you can get more than two pounds over the limb rating...
SETX_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #15
Cullbuck
Six Point

Hunt In: setx

PSE just came out with the Levitate, itís a carbon bow with 80lb limbs. Weighs 3.6 but it comes with a price tag lol John Dudley just did a video on youtube setting it up and shooting out to 120 yards with a 5xx grain arrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
Stephenc
Four Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe County

I shoot an 80# Hoyt Ventum 30 and I love it.
Stephenc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #17
Ruttin&Struttin
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

Most manufacturers make an 80lb model. Personally, I'd go to different shops and find out what manufacturers they carry. Shoot all of their 70lb bows and make a decision based on that knowing an 80lb bow will be a bit harder to pull than the 70s. I've only ever shot 80+ over the last 20+ years. That said, a fast 70lb bow can easily keep up with a slower 80lb bow. If you find a fast IBO 70 it may perform as well as a slower IBO 80 while still being a little easier to draw.
What's your DL? Switching to a thumb release from a trigger release will likely lengthen your draw length. Adding inches to your draw is usually an easier way to pick up speed. An inch of draw is probably equivalent to a few pounds of draw weight.
Good luck with your decision and keep us posted what you go with.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2021, 04:44 PM   #18
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
Most manufacturers make an 80lb model. Personally, I'd go to different shops and find out what manufacturers they carry. Shoot all of their 70lb bows and make a decision based on that knowing an 80lb bow will be a bit harder to pull than the 70s. I've only ever shot 80+ over the last 20+ years. That said, a fast 70lb bow can easily keep up with a slower 80lb bow. If you find a fast IBO 70 it may perform as well as a slower IBO 80 while still being a little easier to draw.
What's your DL? Switching to a thumb release from a trigger release will likely lengthen your draw length. Adding inches to your draw is usually an easier way to pick up speed. An inch of draw is probably equivalent to a few pounds of draw weight.
Good luck with your decision and keep us posted what you go with.
This is helpful. I am currently at 28.5 draw length (maxxed out) on my HTX, and shoot a tension release.

The other issue I am finding is finding anyone that has a lefty in stock.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #19
KevinG
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Interesting. How do you like it? Do you know what you are getting for speed? How heavy of arrow are you shooting?
Love it. It’s smooth and crisp. I get 317 on a 446 grian setup. 29 inch draw. I had custom tapes made for it also. Very nice setup.

Last edited by KevinG; 10-23-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #20
KevinG
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post

Not saying thatís the case here, just something you may want to check. Run a tape on your ATA and BH measurements to be sure youíre not overtwisted on your cables.

To the OP, an 80# bow is going to have the same mass weight as a 70# bow, so thatís not an issue. Youíre going to have a tough time finding a shop that has one on the shelf, so thereís something to think about before purchasing. Go draw back and let down on a 70# bow. If itís tough to let down without it yanking your arm, I wouldnít recommend an 80# bow.

However, itís your bow so do whatever youíd like and have fun shooting!
Had the Mathews dealer/shop set it up. They measured everything and proved custom tapes for my fast Eddie.. I got a set of phenom strings and cables and I was very surprised at the increase in speedÖ. Most I have gotten with just swapping them out..
Old 10-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #21
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Melvin Tx

Get a Mathews V3 with 75 Lb mods will get you close to 80 I have a vertix with 75 lb mod and it is 78lbs with some left to crank down on the limb bolts .

But really no need in 80 lbs unless your going after big game in Africa!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #22
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
Get a Mathews V3 with 75 Lb mods will get you close to 80 I have a vertix with 75 lb mod and it is 78lbs with some left to crank down on the limb bolts .

But really no need in 80 lbs unless your going after big game in Africa!
Thanks! The goal is to take shots out to 100 yards with a 5xx gr arrow during target practice. I actually love my current HTX, and I think I would still take it in the elk woods with me. But just being able to shoot out to 100 yards on a target will make a 60 yard shot feel like a chip shot!
Old 10-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #23
TylerDale
Four Point

Hunt In: Victoria, Jackson, La Salle

Fwiw my max range is about 100yards with my VXR set at 72lb 29.5draw. I shoot a 530gr arrow with AAE Max Stealths and my fletching kiss the bottom of my sight @100.
I'm in the same boat and will probably get the new Mathews in 75lb mods and bump my DL to 30.
TylerDale is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top