Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-21-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
Stick1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman
Default The official 2021 APR TBH special

Let’s get this thing rolling!

What it is – This is a once a year deal we extend to our TBH family that offers a significant discount on a rifle platform that we design as a group, right here on the forum(see the idea and planning threads). It is our way of showing our thanks to the members of this forum for their support throughout the years. As such, it is only available to TBH members. I know some of you really wanted the shorty to make the cut, so we went ahead threw it in as well! Options are as follows:

Option 1……..The Maverick Light
$3,095 TBH Special Price/$3,495 Retail Price

This is our standard Maverick package that got put on a diet and given a trigger upgrade! It retains it’s classic sporter ergonomics, but drops about a pound by using a lighter action and our sporter contour carbon fiber barrel. Available in most short, short mag and long action chamberings - up to the Nosler family of cartridges. It will not be available in any of the long action Ultra Mags. Weights will range from 5.9 – 6.75 lbs depending on configuration.

Action: Defiance AnTi with 20 MOA aluminum rail
Barrel: APR Carbon Fiber sporter contour cut-rifled(finishes .725”at the muzzle). Threaded 5/8-24 with blended thread protector. Available in lengths from 16”-26”
Stock: AG Composites APR Hunter(paint ready, exposed carbon fiber, 3 sling studs, 2 flush cups)
Trigger: Trigger Tech Special(adjusts from 1.0 - 3.5 lbs)
Bottom Metal: APR BDL
Finish: Cerakote action and Barrel ends in your color of choice. Standard Camo patterns, webbing or sponge camo on stock in your colors of choice

Upgrade options:
Trigger Tech Diamond +$100
ATS Barrel tuner (hunter model) +$200
Front Pic Rail +$35
Stenciled Paint Scheme or Hydro-dip on stock starting at +$250
Muzzle brakes - Blended Radial +$100
Blended Gill Style +$135
Self-timing Gill +$135

Option 2……..The lightweight Shorty
$3,495 in folding version/$3,345 in fixed version

This package is designed to be the ultimate suppressed pack rifle/truck gun. It will be available in short action chamberings such as 223 Rem, 6CM, 6.5CM, 260Rem, 7-08 Rem, 308 Win and 6.5 PRC. Other chamberings may be available upon request. Barrels will be from 16”-20” depending on Proof offerings per bore size. Weights will range from 5.9 – 6.5 lbs depending on configuration. Fixed versions will be the lightest.

Action: Defiance AnTi with 20 MOA aluminum rail
Barrel: Proof Sendero. Threaded 5/8-24 with knurled thread protector.
Stock: MPA Ultra Lite Chassis in folding or fixed configurations(features built in ARCA rail)
Trigger: Trigger Tech Special(adjusts from 1.0 - 3.5 lbs)
Bottom Metal: Accurate 5 round magazine
Finish: Cerakote action and Barrel ends in your color of choice. Chassis available in Black, FDE, Gun Metal, Midnight Bronze, OD Green or Tungsten.

Upgrade options:
Trigger Tech Diamond +$100
ATS Barrel Tuner +$200
Front Pic Rail +$20
Custom Paint Scheme or Hydro-dip on stock starting at +$250
Muzzle brakes - Blended Radial +$100
Blended Gill Style +$135
Self-timing Gill +$135
Area 419 Hellfire +$170

When it is - We will begin taking orders at 10:00 AM beginning Tues 2/23/2021, and will stop taking orders at 5:00 PM on Weds 3/10/2021. Once the component orders are placed, the numbers are final. In other words…..when it cuts off, it’s off.

Timelines - All component orders will be placed on 3/15/2021. Timelines are going to be tricky this year. Our workload is heavy and supplies are not as reliable as they were a year ago. We are adding new machines to address our workflow, but that doesn’t help on parts delivery. As an example, Proof is running about 8 months out or more on barrels right now….so is Bartlein, and others are starting to follow. I’m not comfortable giving a delivery time based on what I see coming. We do have control over most of the parts used in option #1, so I can confidently say those rifles should be delivered well ahead of hunting season. We should be in a position to move quickly with option #2 when those barrels do arrive, but no guarantee those will complete before hunting season. Bottom line: We will do our best with what we have to work with.

Pricing/Deposits – A deposit of $2,000 will be required when order is placed. The remaining balance is due upon rifle’s completion.

How to participate – Simply call the shop to place your order or ask questions during normal business hours. Our number is 817-284-0034. Garrett, Jason, Hunter or myself will be happy to assist or consult with you on your build choices. There is an infinite number of camo patterns and color schemes to choose from, far too many to post here. I’d urge you to visit our FB or IG page to look at examples to get an idea of what’s possible. Left hand options WILL be available on both models. I’ll try my best to answer any questions on this thread, and there are plenty of other knowledgeable folks around here that can offer advice on cartridge selection, barrel lengths, twist rates, etc. I’m not going to answer any questions regarding this deal via PM, as I won’t have the opportunity to keep up with it very efficiently.

And sincerely, THANK YOU FOLKS THAT MAKE THIS POSSIBLE. The demo units for both of these options are on display at the shop. Feel free to drop by and check them out in person if you find yourself in the area.

Bonus Round – Wait……..I thought we were done? Almost. We’ve been in contact with the folks at AB Suppressors for a while now about our TBH deal. They have agreed to let us offer some special pricing to the TBH community for this group buy(which makes sense as one of this year’s models is completely designed to run suppressed). I’ve mentioned them on here before, but their reflex design and modular set-up makes them a very customizable, versatile and lightweight option that keeps OAL lengths to a minimum. I can’t post prices here, but contact the shop if you want to take advantage of this deal.

Pro tip - If you don't get us on the first call, most likely both lines are tied up and/or we are working with customers in person. You might have quicker results by trying back instead of leaving a voicemail, as often we can't get to those messages until the end of the day when it settles down.......especially early in the week.

We're getting a late start this year gentlemen, but it's finally here!

Last edited by Stick1; 02-21-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #2
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Looks awesome!
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:00 PM   #3
Ebby
Nubbin' Buck

Can't wait! Ready to order.

Lee
Ebby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
dukeflr
Nubbin' Buck

Oh my
dukeflr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
bsills
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Maverick County

Thank you
bsills is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 09:20 PM   #6
Tommy1123
Eight Point

Hunt In: Panola Co, Tyler Co

Decisions decisions 😬 thank you APR for doing this!
Tommy1123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:00 PM   #7
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: my blind

Hmm considering parting with my x-bolt stainless 26 nosler and building one of these instead...

Robert - would you recommend going with a 24 or 26Ē barrel and what do you think about an 8 twist?

My current loads are Barnes 127 LRX and average 3510 FPS out of my X-bolt
hgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #8
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Dam these are sweet Robert! Wish I could play this year but not in the cards. Looks like Ill wait til late Tuesday or Wednesday to check in with yall.

Thank you for this opportunity as always!
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:19 PM   #9
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgiles View Post
Hmm considering parting with my x-bolt stainless 26 nosler and building one of these instead...

Robert - would you recommend going with a 24 or 26Ē barrel and what do you think about an 8 twist?

My current loads are Barnes 127 LRX and average 3510 FPS out of my X-bolt

I honestly wouldn't recommend a 26 Nosler for this build. If you did do it, I'd go 26" and would be on an 8.5 on the fast end. I wouldn't be afraid of a 9 either, especially with that bullet. We've built a bunch on 8's and 8.5's and without question the 8.5's are much easier to deal with during load development and more forgiving with factory ammo.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #10
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
Dam these are sweet Robert! Wish I could play this year but not in the cards. Looks like Ill wait til late Tuesday or Wednesday to check in with yall.

Thank you for this opportunity as always!
Neither can I! Lol. Kinda wanting one of those little folders in a BR or Dasher for a truck gun/P.Dog patrol/calling rig, but can't really justify it no matter which angle I approach it from. Haha
Old 02-21-2021, 10:27 PM   #11
acc05R1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Robert, what barrel length would you recommend in 6.5 PRC, on option 1? It will be suppressed 99% of the time, with either a TBAC Dominus-CB or Nomad LT. Is a Wyatts box available? I’ll be calling on Tuesday to order. Thanks again for doing this!
acc05R1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:29 PM   #12
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
Neither can I! Lol. Kinda wanting one of those little folders in a BR or Dasher for a truck gun/P.Dog patrol/calling rig, but can't really justify it no matter which angle I approach it from. Haha
I agree completely. I think my altitude will make up for most of what I wanted in the maverick lite so that folder in a short efficient cartridge like you mentioned was high on my list. DAM the luck!!!
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2021, 10:41 PM   #13
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by acc05R1 View Post
Robert, what barrel length would you recommend in 6.5 PRC, on option 1? It will be suppressed 99% of the time, with either a TBAC Dominus-CB or Nomad LT. Is a Wyatts box available? Iíll be calling on Tuesday to order. Thanks again for doing this!

A 20" or 22" would be a good "middle ground" length for a suppressed 6.5 PRC. If you go short action, it HAS TO HAVE a Wyatt's to even run factory ammo and you'll still only have about .020 clearance. We do most on L/A's for that reason.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:53 AM   #14
hgiles
Ten Point

Hunt In: my blind

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't recommend a 26 Nosler for this build. If you did do it, I'd go 26" and would be on an 8.5 on the fast end. I wouldn't be afraid of a 9 either, especially with that bullet. We've built a bunch on 8's and 8.5's and without question the 8.5's are much easier to deal with during load development and more forgiving with factory ammo.

Thanks Robert. Appreciate the feedback on that and that you wouldnít recommend that build this go round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 06:26 AM   #15
tommy1005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall Co.

Can you do the folder in 6.5SST? Also on the Maverick if I go that route can you get the Hellfire brake on it?
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 07:32 AM   #16
txagyotebuster
Eight Point

An 18 to 20" 7mm 08 in the LW mav would be a sweet little deer stand rifle.....i don't need one, i don't need one, i don't need one
txagyotebuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 08:06 AM   #17
CaseyB
Four Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County

Robert, could a Sendero Contour barrel be available with #1?
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #18
Headhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle Co

Robert, will a 280 ai be okay in the #1 build. Like to get your thoughts before I purchase one. Thanks
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:43 AM   #19
wilydawg
Nubbin' Buck

Hi Robert - thanks for doing this again!

I'm going to go option 1 in 22 Creedmoor. Plan on shooting as wide a range of bullets as possible, with app. 80 gr being the heaviest and most used (mainly 77 gr. Sierra TMK), although I'd want to go down as low as 50 if possible. Thinking an 1-8 twist at 24". Do you agree or?

Also, can I get the Area 419 Hellfire brake, and a box mag vs. bottom metal?

Thanks again!
wilydawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #20
Elnicko
Nubbin' Buck

Any chance you have a 25SST reamer?
Elnicko is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #21
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
Can you do the folder in 6.5SST? Also on the Maverick if I go that route can you get the Hellfire brake on it?
We can, as long as you supply the reamer and gauges. As for the hell fire, yes we can. However, we have another self-timed option(listed in the upgrades) with an O.D. of .800" that will look much nicer on that barrel contour.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #22
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Robert, could a Sendero Contour barrel be available with #1?
No sir. Forearm doesn't have enough cross-section to accommodate Proof Sendero contour. It will just barely fit a Rem Sendero steel contour, but it would absolutely wreck the balance given the light weight components.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #23
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Robert, will a 280 ai be okay in the #1 build. Like to get your thoughts before I purchase one. Thanks
Absolutely! That would be one of the best pairings for this rig in my mind. Great ballistics, manageable recoil without a brake in a light rifle and an extra round in the mag compared to an H&H based case. Hard to not like that choice.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #24
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

Quote:
Absolutely! That would be one of the best pairings for this rig in my mind. Great ballistics, manageable recoil without a brake in a light rifle and an extra round in the mag compared to an H&H based case. Hard to not like that choice.

What would be the best shortest barrel length for the 280ai could you get away with 20Ē without our killing the velocity?

one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #25
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilydawg View Post
Hi Robert - thanks for doing this again!

I'm going to go option 1 in 22 Creedmoor. Plan on shooting as wide a range of bullets as possible, with app. 80 gr being the heaviest and most used (mainly 77 gr. Sierra TMK), although I'd want to go down as low as 50 if possible. Thinking an 1-8 twist at 24". Do you agree or?

Also, can I get the Area 419 Hellfire brake, and a box mag vs. bottom metal?

Thanks again!
The 22CM is a pretty awesome round, but not the most forgiving if trying to shoot a wide variety of bullet weights. This holds true for all of the fast 22's. Given the small diameter of the bullet, small changes in weight have a bigger impact on bullet lengths........which have bigger impacts on twist rates. The lower velocity rounds will let you get away with a little more variation. Twist rates of 7" or 7.5" are probably the most common for folks focusing on the 80 gr range of bullets. Unless it was a mono or downloaded considerably, I'd not count on a 50 or 55 gr pill making the trip.

Hell fire = yes, but I have what may be a better option listed in the upgrades. For guys wanting DBM.....we could do the HS Precision add-on as we have in the past. Just do your research and make sure the mags will provide the internal length you need for what you have planned.

Last edited by Stick1; 02-22-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #26
wilydawg
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
The 22CM is a pretty awesome round, but not the most forgiving if trying to shoot a wide variety of bullet weights. This holds true for all of the fast 22's. Given the small diameter of the bullet, small changes in weight have a bigger impact on bullet lengths........which have bigger impacts on twist rates. The lower velocity rounds will let you get away with a little more variation. Twist rates of 7" or 7.5" are probably the most common for folks focusing on the 80 gr range of bullets. Unless it was a mono or downloaded considerably, I'd not count on a 50 or 55 gr pill making the trip.
Ok thanks. So if you were building this and planned on using the 77 gr. TMK's which twist would you go with - 7 or 7.5?

And could I change up the bottom metal?
wilydawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #27
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elnicko View Post
Any chance you have a 25SST reamer?
No. I have no issues doing any of the "SS" rounds for those that want them, but I also have no interest in investing in the tooling for them either. Please plan to supply your own reamer,print and gauges if you decide to go that route.

Last edited by Stick1; 02-22-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #28
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by one66stang View Post
What would be the best shortest barrel length for the 280ai could you get away with 20Ē without our killing the velocity?

"without our killing the velocity?" about 24"
Old 02-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #29
Hardware
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

Awesome deal this year appreciate you making this offer available to TBH!!!
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #30
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilydawg View Post
Ok thanks. So if you were building this and planned on using the 77 gr. TMK's which twist would you go with - 7 or 7.5?

And could I change up the bottom metal?
If that is the top end you should be fine with an 8. Wouldn't hurt to go a little faster if you wanted to explore the 80+ gr stuff down the road.

Hell fire = yes, but I have what may be a better option listed in the upgrades. For guys wanting DBM.....we could do the HS Precision add-on as we have in the past. Just do your research and make sure the mags will provide the internal length you need for what you have planned.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #31
ATXArcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Robert, I'm looking at the folder and was considering 6.5CM (The last two years builds I did 6.5PRC and 223) as an all around truck gun. I will be running the rifle suppressed 100% of the time (Thunderbeast Ultra 7) and saw that Proof offers a 16.5" barrel in a 1:8 and 1:7.5 twist. Is that barrel going to be too short and which twist rate for the 143 gr Hornady ELD-X factory ammo? Thanks!
ATXArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #32
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

My goal is to have a lightweight backcountry rifle but I will be limited to factory ammo for the foreseeable future. I'm undecided between the 300wm and 7mm mag. I recall what you were saying about the nodes on 300wm being very small with the carbon fiber barrel and having difficulty finding factory ammo that it will like; would this be the case for the 7mag as well?

Would you advise one over the other, and what barrel length would be recommended for each? Would your opinion change if the rifle is/isn't suppressed?

Thanks in advance, so excited these should be ready by hunting season!
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #33
H-D
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
My goal is to have a lightweight backcountry rifle but I will be limited to factory ammo for the foreseeable future. I'm undecided between the 300wm and 7mm mag. I recall what you were saying about the nodes on 300wm being very small with the carbon fiber barrel and having difficulty finding factory ammo that it will like; would this be the case for the 7mag as well?
300wsm is yet another option you might like.

Robert for option 1 any reason to NOT go with a 300wsm?
I'm thinking 20" barrel to shoot 100% suppressed 150gr accubonds.
H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #34
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

That's close to what I'm planning.

A 7mm SAUM in a 20 inch barrel with a TB Ultra 7 out front. Should give enough velocity with VLD's to be effective to 600 plus yards.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #35
H-D
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
That's close to what I'm planning.

A 7mm SAUM in a 20 inch barrel with a TB Ultra 7 out front. Should give enough velocity with VLD's to be effective to 600 plus yards.
I like your taste, but went with 24" 7mag on the 2019 build.
That's why I want similar velocities, but in a larger diameter bullet and shorter barrel. Will also only be shot with an Ultra 7 on it....that can makes anything you're shooting so much nicer.
H-D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #36
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXArcher View Post
Robert, I'm looking at the folder and was considering 6.5CM (The last two years builds I did 6.5PRC and 223) as an all around truck gun. I will be running the rifle suppressed 100% of the time (Thunderbeast Ultra 7) and saw that Proof offers a 16.5" barrel in a 1:8 and 1:7.5 twist. Is that barrel going to be too short and which twist rate for the 143 gr Hornady ELD-X factory ammo? Thanks!
I suspect you just laid out the blue print for about 80% of what folks are going to build on that option. Running full time suppressed, it's hard to argue the 16" option. It is going to take a pretty good hit on velocity, but not to the point that it becomes not worth it. The 308, 7-08 and 6.5CM(in that order) are all pretty efficient, and probably the best candidates for the 16" builds. Either twist will work fine. I'll always take the BC bump from the tighter twist given the choice.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #37
JONES45LC
Ten Point

Hunt In: edwards, real, medina, kerr counties

Robert
what do you think about building a #1 in 243 1:10 twist do you think this rifle would be picky about ammo/ bullets, like factory ammo ?

you built my ranger build and I absolutely love it , but I would like to have a light weight rifle in 243 as well.
JONES45LC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #38
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

Quote:
Was half hoping you’d say No so I could save my money. Now to go down the rabbit hole of colors and design

Last edited by hooligan; 02-22-2021 at 02:06 PM.
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #39
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post

Would you advise one over the other, and what barrel length would be recommended for each? Would your opinion change if the rifle is/isn't suppressed?

Thanks in advance, so excited these should be ready by hunting season!
Don't be too put off with the 300WM, as there are enough factory options out there you will be able to find something that works no matter how picky the barrel may be. Barrel length is really what ever you can live with, since its all a series of trade-offs. Knowing it's a hunting rig, it's probably not going to get shot at anything approaching high volume. I'd set it up for the way you plan on using it the most.

Personally, If I'm shooting a 300WM its probably because I'm wanting to push 200ish+ grain bullets somewhere close to 3K fps. Just the fact that I would choose that combo probably means I'm expecting longer shots in open country, so I'd stick with a 24"-26" barrel and forget about dealing with the extra weight and mass of a can.

Shooting lighter weight bullets at closer distances would probably push me back the other direction to running a 20" barrel suppressed. I like shooting suppressed guns, but I'm not willing to give up a ton of performance to do it in most cases.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #40
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-D View Post
300wsm is yet another option you might like.

Robert for option 1 any reason to NOT go with a 300wsm?
I'm thinking 20" barrel to shoot 100% suppressed 150gr accubonds.
The only potential downside is trying to get that fat @#@ case to feed smoothly But that's on me, not ya'll. Haha
Old 02-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #41
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONES45LC View Post
Robert
what do you think about building a #1 in 243 1:10 twist do you think this rifle would be picky about ammo/ bullets, like factory ammo ?

you built my ranger build and I absolutely love it , but I would like to have a light weight rifle in 243 as well.
I think you'd be just fine. No downside to 1-9 either.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #42
mev002
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

If I were to go with a 300 PRC, option 1, how would you recommend it be spec'd out? I don't know enough about custom guns to know what the optimum barrel length, twist rate, etc should be.

I've considered the 300WM or 30 Nosler as well, but the 300 PRC has my attention the most. Also, plan to only use factory ammo.
mev002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 03:13 PM   #43
Wild-billwjs
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
The only potential downside is trying to get that fat @#@ case to feed smoothly But that's on me, not ya'll. Haha
Robert your probably sick of these questions, but thank you for your time and what a great deal. Whatís your opinion of the 33 Nosler 24Ē barrel in the light rig. Itíll need a brake, but wanting something for grizzly and brown bear. I donít know much about the cartridge, maybe a 300wm would be a better option. Thanks again
Wild-billwjs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #44
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mev002 View Post
If I were to go with a 300 PRC, option 1, how would you recommend it be spec'd out? I don't know enough about custom guns to know what the optimum barrel length, twist rate, etc should be.

I've considered the 300WM or 30 Nosler as well, but the 300 PRC has my attention the most. Also, plan to only use factory ammo.

24", good brake and 1-9 twist will cover all of your bases.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #45
Stick1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-billwjs View Post
Robert your probably sick of these questions, but thank you for your time and what a great deal. Whatís your opinion of the 33 Nosler 24Ē barrel in the light rig. Itíll need a brake, but wanting something for grizzly and brown bear. I donít know much about the cartridge, maybe a 300wm would be a better option. Thanks again
I don't know a ton about the 33Nos yet, but it seems to be the perfect fit for what you described. One of our guys is building one for his upcoming grizzly hunt this year. I haven't spent enough time behind one to have a valid opinion, but I like what we have seen so far.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #46
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Dang, that would be the ticket running something like the 225 TTSX or a 250-300 berger from the same rifle.

IMO- My experience with the 30 nosler tells me it's about the perfect sized case for a magnum hunting round. The 33 should fall right in line.

Will balance out well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Slick8; 02-22-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 03:44 PM   #47
Wild-billwjs
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Thanks
Wild-billwjs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #48
kingkatcher
Nubbin' Buck

Default folder

Robert, I'm interested in the folder...how about 6.5 Grendel in 16"? will definitely be getting one of the AB's as well. Been wanting to try one of those for a while.
kingkatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #49
duckhunter175
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-billwjs View Post
Alamo built my 24" 338RUM-- weighs in (with scope and bipod) at 9.5lbs. I could easily shave off another 8oz going with a lighter scope and one piece rings.

Id say your plan on this build would work well for what you intend. A maneuverable, light, heavy hitter.

I'm running a Titanium 5 port brake-- loud, but it makes that rifle very manageable to shoot. During break in it took 6 rounds for a solid 100 yard zero and then immediately ran it all the way to 800... with factory ammo (250gr LRX)

Soon as I can get to the range I have 250 Bergers and 270 ELDX loaded up to test as well.
duckhunter175 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #50
duckhunter175
Eight Point

@Stick1

Are there any specific bore diameters that WILL NOT be available in Config#1? Odd balls like .257, .277, .323, .358?
duckhunter175 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top