Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land
Default "OFFICIAL" Granger PHL 2019-2020

Let's get this party started!

The dog and I hike/scouted 10 miles yesterday. We kicked up 32 does, 1 big buck that was well outside his ears, chased 4 armadillos and found 2 heavily used bedding areas.

It was a little hot. Gunner just wanted to lay in all the water and blow bubbles.

Can you spot the armadillo hiding in last picture?
Attached Images

Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sonora/Sutton County

There’s no deer out there worth chasing.
txoutdoorsman24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

All the pigs got shot by the helo shooters too
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
There’s no deer out there worth chasing.
That is a correct statement. Chasing would get very tiring. Deer have 4 legs and we would be at a terrible disadvantage!
Old 08-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
travisn321
Four Point

Leaving smart *** remarks here......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
travisn321 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2019, 10:45 PM   #6
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Lord not you again this year....
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #7
travisn321
Four Point

Yup, stuck with it

travisn321 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
Jspradley
Ten Point

Y'all get a room!
Old 08-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #9
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Let's try to keep this year's thread on point, like, deer talk.

That being said, advice for new people being drawn...
1) Most people will not give public advice in the thread
2) Via PM a lot of guys on here, who will not be drawn, are more than willing to help
3) Put in your time and work, earn respect

Shoot me a PM if you need help, I learned a lot from our 1st time last year.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Oh boy
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #11
mdoug1076
Four Point

Hunt In: Somerville PHL, Sam Houston National Forest WMA

I am thinking about applying for the first time at Granger PHL this year. For those of you have hunted deer out there before, I have a quick questions. Under “Stands” in the Hunt Information, it states “According to APH Permit rules, no blind can be set up for more than 72 hours. A Gear tag containing name, address and date set must be attached to all stands, feeders and game cameras.”

Since you are allowed to use a feeder, can you leave a “stand” out there more than 72 hours that has a gear tag but not a “blind”? I would assume that since you can put a feeder up then you could put a stand up during the season and leave it out there, but the information was just worded weird. Thanks for help.
mdoug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #12
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug1076 View Post
I am thinking about applying for the first time at Granger PHL this year. For those of you have hunted deer out there before, I have a quick questions. Under “Stands” in the Hunt Information, it states “According to APH Permit rules, no blind can be set up for more than 72 hours. A Gear tag containing name, address and date set must be attached to all stands, feeders and game cameras.”

Since you are allowed to use a feeder, can you leave a “stand” out there more than 72 hours that has a gear tag but not a “blind”? I would assume that since you can put a feeder up then you could put a stand up during the season and leave it out there, but the information was just worded weird. Thanks for help.
Not sure on the legality but it will very likely get stolen if you leave it.

I put in for Granger deer this year too, too bad theres none out there anymore
Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
Falling
Eight Point

i've been putting in for Granger for at least 5 years, dang thing is hard to win.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #14
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
i've been putting in for Granger for at least 5 years, dang thing is hard to win.
Didn't used to be but odds are better now that they make you buy the $48 APH permit before you can apply now.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
Look at how many pics and topics are posted about it now compared to 5yrs ago (this thread for example). I've never seen so many deer pics posted as I have in the past 3 years.

Hardly any deer there but the proximity to Austin attracts people I guess..
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #16
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Other than opening weekend and the week of Thanksgiving we didn't see very many people out there. I would say only 25% of the drawn hunters actually put in any effort and come more than a couple times. It's easy to see deer but most get discouraged when they cannot make things happen. We met most of the locals that had permits as we all would see each other 2-3 times in the week or every weekend.

It's a lot of land for 50 permits with only 20 people actually hunting.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
TxTyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Williamson, and Crockett County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
Other than opening weekend and the week of Thanksgiving we didn't see very many people out there. I would say only 25% of the drawn hunters actually put in any effort and come more than a couple times. It's easy to see deer but most get discouraged when they cannot make things happen. We met most of the locals that had permits as we all would see each other 2-3 times in the week or every weekend.

It's a lot of land for 50 permits with only 20 people actually hunting.
You just made everyone's point. People like you make it almost impossible for locals like myself and others to get drawn by drawing attention to the draw hunt. Then the ones that do get drawn, don't put the time in because they live 3 hours away, but decide "why not" put in for the hunt because it's easy and free. I myself have put in the last 10 years and have made every standby and have yet to be drawn. Then I see your posts and look at the statistics and say to myself, hmmm I wonder why another 2k people put in this year than last... then I see threads like yours and quickly remember why my odds keep diminishing more and more every year. But hey its public land and a public forum. Enjoy the opportunity you had and your beginners luck being drawn your first year living in Texas and putting in for the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
TxTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #18
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully we get drawn again this year.
If not, that's ok too. I'll keep running trail cams and helping guys that are not local.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #19
Jspradley
Ten Point

Good lord the jealousy is strong in the hunting world...
Old 08-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #20
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTyler View Post
Enjoy the opportunity you had and your beginners luck being drawn your first year living in Texas and putting in for the hunt.

Last year was my 1st year applying for the hunt during TPWD online drawing with my son and while living here since 2011. The previous 2 years I missed and tried at the standby with no luck. 3rd year was the charm, but actually I believe adding my 11 yr old to the group is what got us drawn.

Pick up a kid and teach them how to hunt and I'll bet your odds of drawing increase.

To boot, I met 2 awesome guys on here, that live "out of town" who I scouted for and with to help find locations. They hunted every weekend of the season driving 3+ hours each way.

I'm here to help guys. Just ask.

Last edited by Spoiled_TN_boy; 08-19-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #21
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
You just made everyone's point. People like you make it almost impossible for locals like myself and others to get drawn by drawing attention to the draw hunt. Then the ones that do get drawn, don't put the time in because they live 3 hours away, but decide "why not" put in for the hunt because it's easy and free. I myself have put in the last 10 years and have made every standby and have yet to be drawn. Then I see your posts and look at the statistics and say to myself, hmmm I wonder why another 2k people put in this year than last... then I see threads like yours and quickly remember why my odds keep diminishing more and more every year. But hey its public land and a public forum. Enjoy the opportunity you had and your beginners luck being drawn your first year living in Texas and putting in for the hunt.

I was drawn there last year and only put in just once. I literally put in the day before deadline bc I hadn't had much luck elsewhere. So it's not really threads like this that hurt your chances, it's just the luck of a DRAW. It angers me to see guys wine and throw blame at others bc of exposure to 'their hunting grounds'. You're right to some degree but this sight isn't the only one out there that talks about Granger. I've always known about granger bc I grew up not too far from there and have been thru there many times and I'm sure many others too. I had just never put in. Luck of the draw I can say for sure. I met many guys out there in my limited time hunting that were great people that helped me tremendously and many that were there just to futch with the deer hunters bc they weren't drawn. BC grown men can't be grown men and act like it either. Have to **** in someone else's cereal bc they didn't get there way. That's BS if you ask me and they should be banned from using resources like Granger. Sure hope you weren't one of the idiots out there doing that!
I hope to get drawn again this year and will be at Stand-By drawing if not. Best of luck to you in the draw!
Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #22
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Last year was my 1st year applying for the hunt during TPWD online drawing with my son and while living here since 2011. The previous 2 years I missed and tried at the standby with no luck. 3rd year was the charm, but actually I believe adding my 11 yr old to the group is what got us drawn.

Pick up a kid and teach them how to hunt and I'll bet your odds of drawing increase.

To boot, I met 2 awesome guys on here, that live "out of town" who I scouted for and with to help find locations. They hunted every weekend of the season driving 3+ hours each way.

I'm here to help guys. Just ask.
I can vouch for you helping. You gave me a couple spots that were actually good spots! No need to defend yourself bud. People just get butt hurt easily nowadays and use the keyboard to express feelings that wouldn't come out otherwise.
Hope to see you out there again
Old 08-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #23
Jspradley
Ten Point

I do wish that if someone drew and accepted their tag and didnt hunt they should be barred from applying in that area for at least a year.

I wasnt able to hunt a tag I drew a few years back (not at granger) but I didn't pay for the tag which put it back in the 2nd draw pool because I knew I wouldn't be able to use it when it came time to pay up

As far as locals not drawing, oh well, the land belongs to everyone in TX equally. Granger doesnt belong to anyone because of where they live in TX anymore than the SHNF belongs to me
Old 08-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #24
TxTyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Williamson, and Crockett County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
I do wish that if someone drew and accepted their tag and didnt hunt they should be barred from applying in that area for at least a year.

I wasnt able to hunt a tag I drew a few years back (not at granger) but I didn't pay for the tag which put it back in the 2nd draw pool because I knew I wouldn't be able to use it when it came time to pay up

As far as locals not drawing, oh well, the land belongs to everyone in TX equally. Granger doesnt belong to anyone because of where they live in TX anymore than the SHNF belongs to me
I don't mind one bit who puts in and I do wish great success for anyone that gets drawn. It does rub me the wrong way when some put in for the hunt, get drawn, and make it out once or twice or not at all. I think that's more from the stand point of knowing there are hundreds of other people that would love the opportunity if given to them. I do understand that life gets in the way and can make it difficult to get outdoors sometimes.

I've offered up tons of advice to other hunters at Granger over the years. I just don't put it out on the internet for anyone and everyone to see. I love seeing the threads once the season has begun. It's nice to see people enjoying the opportunity afforded to them.

You guys and your first year luck... smh
TxTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #25
Jspradley
Ten Point

I have no problem being annoyed at folks who buy the tag and don't even bother... that does take opportunity away from someone else. If you aren't going to show up then don't apply or at the least don't accept the permit if you win it.

I don't think it would be too difficult to curtail some of that, even if it's something like if you don't show up for the orientation you are barred from applying again in that area or even that same category for a year or two. I suspect that would weed out a lot of the no-shows.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #26
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:

Spot on sir and preach it!

It will do you no good with this one though I will promise you that. After he doesnt get drawn for a few years he might just realize but then again I doubt it.

Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 08-19-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #27
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't mind one bit who puts in and I do wish great success for anyone that gets drawn. It does rub me the wrong way when some put in for the hunt, get drawn, and make it out once or twice or not at all. I think that's more from the stand point of knowing there are hundreds of other people that would love the opportunity if given to them. I do understand that life gets in the way and can make it difficult to get outdoors sometimes.

I've offered up tons of advice to other hunters at Granger over the years. I just don't put it out on the internet for anyone and everyone to see. I love seeing the threads once the season has begun. It's nice to see people enjoying the opportunity afforded to them.

You guys and your first year luck... smh
I knew of a guy that literally learned of granger on Friday night before stand by day. Showed up, put his name on a card and was first out the hat. Hunted one time and never came back. Never heard from him after that day. That was bad for sure. There was no need of him wasting a permit that someone would’ve used. But there a bunch of people that do that. Every draw hunt I’ve been on, I’ve met guys on day one and never saw them again.

Hope to second year luck too but my draw luck may have run out for a while. None yet and this time last year I had 2 already. Have had 4 draws in each season the last 3 years.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:29 PM   #28
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Cams took pictures of a truck driving through fields after 8pm, last night and last week.
Attached Images

Last edited by Spoiled_TN_boy; 08-31-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:13 PM   #29
Jspradley
Ten Point

I'm making my shocked face.... too bad you didnt get their tags.

I suppose it could be staff but 8pm seems sketchy
Old 08-31-2019, 08:26 PM   #30
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

Probably Derrick doing census counts would be my guess. Have to do them just like any other MLD property. Could also be someone checking cattle
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #31
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

See y'all at the Standby drawing. Not luck for us this year.

If any new people want to hit me up, I'll be happy to take you out and show you my places we hunted last year and share my game pictures.

I believe I can put someone on their 2 does on opening weekend less than 100yds from where you park.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #32
Rodray12
Six Point

Quote:

If any new people want to hit me up, I'll be happy to take you out and show you my places we hunted last year and share my game pictures.

I believe I can put someone on their 2 does on opening weekend less than 100yds from where you park.
How does the standby work? Do you have to be present at the orientation to be selected as a standby?
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #33
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:

No ;luck for me either. But I should be at standby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodray12 View Post
How does the standby work? Do you have to be present at the orientation to be selected as a standby?
Yes must be present, you have to fill out a lil card and they draw them from a hat. If you get drawn, go sign for your permit and hunt pass right there at the facility and you're good.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #34
Rodray12
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
No ;luck for me either. But I should be at standby.

Yes must be present, you have to fill out a lil card and they draw them from a hat. If you get drawn, go sign for your permit and hunt pass right there at the facility and you're good.
Gotcha, thank you sir.
Rodray12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #35
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Also, the standby requires you have already purchased the PHL permit as well.
That requirement thinned the herd on last years draw.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #36
jdunn6092
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

I got drawn for the first time this year!!!!

jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #37
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Congrats!
Old 09-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #38
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Also, the standby requires you have already purchased the PHL permit as well.
That requirement thinned the herd on last years draw.

A couple hundred people there for 15 spots isnt thinning the herd!

Used to be 30-50 people there for the standby. Hell I was there once and everyone that showed got spots. Think he had 28 permits and there were 27 people there.

Missed out once again. Gone are the old days when you actually had a decent chance of drawing. That's what the internet and loud mouths do for you!
Old 09-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #39
Jspradley
Ten Point

No granger deer for me this year! Oh well theres still piggies
Old 09-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #40
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

Hunt In: spiritworld

Comparison is the thief of joy

DeerGhostSpeaks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #41
bossbowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post

A couple hundred people there for 15 spots isnt thinning the herd!

Used to be 30-50 people there for the standby. Hell I was there once and everyone that showed got spots. Think he had 28 permits and there were 27 people there.

Missed out once again. Gone are the old days when you actually had a decent chance of drawing. That's what the internet and loud mouths do for you!
PETA people from austin also put in for this draw, those are some of the un-used permits, do some of them also show up for standby who knows. I like the idea of kicking you out of the draw the following year if you don't utilize your permit. How do you quanify that?, might ruffle some feathers but I'd say if you don't at least check in a deer or hog for the year, I've hunted there and if you know what your doing it wasn't that hard to tag a doe.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #42
DeerGhostSpeaks
Four Point

Hunt In: spiritworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
PETA people from austin also put in for this draw, those are some of the un-used permits, do some of them also show up for standby who knows. I like the idea of kicking you out of the draw the following year if you don't utilize your permit. How do you quanify that?, might ruffle some feathers but I'd say if you don't at least check in a deer or hog for the year, I've hunted there and if you know what your doing it wasn't that hard to tag a doe.

You gotta source for that claim?

DeerGhostSpeaks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #43
Jspradley
Ten Point

They would have to buy hunting licenses and PHLs to get into the draw
.. I mean it's possible but I would like to see a source for that as well.

Deer hunts are generally not on PETAs radar

I do think that if you draw claim your permit and dont at least show up for the orientation you should be kicked out of the drawing for the next few years.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #44
bossbowman
Ten Point

I don't have a source just something I heard from some other hunters in the area, they said somebody with TPW told them that was one of the reasons to start requiring the $48 before you could apply last year, if you remember it used to be free to apply.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #45
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Hunt In: on the edge

I have never done a Public Hunt accept many years ago on Lake Georgetown where you simply signed in and out. I am getting back to bow hunting and bought Public Hunt permit. Going for Pigs with crossbow at Granger. Any pubic hunt tips/warnings for someone returning to the sport after 20 years healing from an auto accident? I went crossbow because it was a shoulder injury so drawing 60 Lbs back was not fun.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #46
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsun View Post
I have never done a Public Hunt accept many years ago on Lake Georgetown where you simply signed in and out. I am getting back to bow hunting and bought Public Hunt permit. Going for Pigs with crossbow at Granger. Any pubic hunt tips/warnings for someone returning to the sport after 20 years healing from an auto accident? I went crossbow because it was a shoulder injury so drawing 60 Lbs back was not fun.
Best bet for Granger is just get out there and look for pigs! They are all around the place.

Just pick a spot and go! OnX maps is a good tool to keep you out of trouble, but its pretty easy to navigate out there

Last edited by Jspradley; 09-06-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #47
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Thanks for comments. I am still waiting for mail package for rules etc. Found a lot on line and even spoke with one of the Rangers. I assume I can quarter up a pig so as not to have to drag carry all the weight at once in the event I am in pretty deep. The Corps Ranger said that was acceptable but noted TX parks and Wildlife was the source to clarify questions. 2 years ago white bass wade fishing I witnessed 4 or 5 medium sized pigs run in to the water snarling and snapping at 2 or 3 fishermen wading in the river than turn and run away. Wow! Unsure what provoked it but scary either way.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #48
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchsun View Post
Thanks for comments. I am still waiting for mail package for rules etc. Found a lot on line and even spoke with one of the Rangers. I assume I can quarter up a pig so as not to have to drag carry all the weight at once in the event I am in pretty deep. The Corps Ranger said that was acceptable but noted TX parks and Wildlife was the source to clarify questions. 2 years ago white bass wade fishing I witnessed 4 or 5 medium sized pigs run in to the water snarling and snapping at 2 or 3 fishermen wading in the river than turn and run away. Wow! Unsure what provoked it but scary either way.

You can absolutely quarter up pigs, there's really no rules for pigs so long as you are using legal archery equipment.

You can leave them there if you want though I dont recommend it, Granger pigs are delicious!
Old 09-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #49
toomuchsun
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
You can absolutely quarter up pigs, there's really no rules for pigs so long as you are using legal archery equipment.

You can leave them there if you want though I dont recommend it, Granger pigs are delicious!
I raised my kids and wife and lots of friends on wild game and fresh caught fish. Now sadly a city dweller. Yes I will eat the pigs.
I am a bit confused on the E Postcard. I learned of this opportunity too late and it is expired. I hear of Standby drawing Oct 19. Is this to fill in spots for anyone who is not present for the orientation and can you still have shot at this if you missed the original deadline? I live close enough and will attend if nothing else to learn and maybe chat with some folks. Some venison would be so nice.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #50
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Watched 2 bucks sparring last night while pulling 2 of my cameras. Does are patterned and with the correct wind could be harvested the 1st weekend without breaking a sweat.