Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 03-20-2020, 06:15 AM   #1
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas
Default Actual Archery Thread

Iím 125% positive this has been beat to death 20Xís over... Just wanted to divert from another Corona Virus Thread. Dale is over it by now. Strings. When replacing bow strings, just about every shop Iíve been to has their flavor of custom strings. How many of you go that route or use strings from the manufacturer of the bow? Do any of you replace strings with a new bow or use the factory strings till time to replace?
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #2
Paycheck
Ten Point

I had a bow restrung with custom strings at Live Oak Archery in Bryan. They are way better than the originals. Got a new Mathew bow a year ago and that string needs to be replace already. Will go back with custom.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #3
Big Lee
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paycheck View Post
I had a bow restrung with custom strings at Live Oak Archery in Bryan. They are way better than the originals. Got a new Mathew bow a year ago and that string needs to be replace already. Will go back with custom.
Up and till now my previous bows were all upgrades from the other. About the time strings needing replaced. Finally have a bow that I like more than the others and will restring it. Plus replacing is getting expensive. Lol
Old 03-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
Rat
Ten Point

It depends on the bow company and what you want.

Pretty much across the board I have heard that Winner's Choice has gone down hill since being bought by the same company that owns Elite bows, and that is what Elite uses.

However, I have used Prime strings and they are great if all you want is black.

Hoyt custom shop has great strings, and you can order them in different colors, but the wait time seems to be much longer than other custom string makers.

I have either personally used or installed Gas, Catfish, Korbins, Vapor, 60X, Texas Twisted and few other custom strings and they have all been great.

Having said that, I make my own string most of the time because it is another aspect of archery I enjoy; but I generally do not make string for other people unless I need to in order to help correct a tune on a specific bow.

On my Prime I shot the factory strings until time to replace, then I bought a new set from Catfish and then I made my own for the third set. If I shot a bow from say Elite, I think I would change the strings as soon as I could to a higher quality string, and I definitely would on a Mathews as I am not a fan of their counter rotated bundles.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
Big Lee
Ten Point

Thanks Rat!!! Great info.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
rocky
Pope & Young

I have installed hundreds of sets, and shot Winner’s Choice strings for years. I have had zero complaints. I have also installed strings from lots of other manufacturers. Have not seen better performance than WC. I recently installed a set of GAS strings on my personal bow. Good string. I lost 8 fps. I broke my bow down, grabbed my backup twin, and matched specs. Still 8 FPS shy. Not a deal breaker, but I like my 8 fps.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 12:43 AM   #7
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
I have installed hundreds of sets, and shot Winnerís Choice strings for years. I have had zero complaints. I have also installed strings from lots of other manufacturers. Have not seen better performance than WC. I recently installed a set of GAS strings on my personal bow. Good string. I lost 8 fps. I broke my bow down, grabbed my backup twin, and matched specs. Still 8 FPS shy. Not a deal breaker, but I like my 8 fps.
8 fps loss from a GAS string, wow. What do you think is causing that?
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #8
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
8 fps loss from a GAS string, wow. What do you think is causing that?
Higher strand count is all I can see that could cause it.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2021, 10:34 PM   #9
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Higher strand count is all I can see that could cause it.
I just put on a GAS string and cable and lost 4 fps but I also added a larger peep and extra long peep serving. It does look like a higher strand count as you noted. Seems slightly quieter as well. No stretch after 250 shots break in.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2021, 11:25 PM   #10
hully1029
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

I change mine every three years, unless the strings are zebras. Ill take that garbage off immediately.

Korbins strings were absolute best, when they were available.
hully1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 07:05 AM   #11
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

I have replaced all my strings with 60X and have been very happy. I would definitely go custom strings if you are needing to replace them.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 07:23 AM   #12
Burwabit
Four Point

Hunt In: Marquez, Leon County, TX

I shot the original Mathews Zebras on my VXR for a year. Thousands of shots and the string was still ok. However, I decided to replace before it became an issue and went with Vapor Trail from my shop Trader Bows in Lubbock. I can say for sure the Vapor Trails are better. 0 peep turn like the Zebras and much more consistency between Lubbock (3500 ft elevation, 25-35% humidity) and our ranch in Leon County north of College Station (opposite of Lubbock).
Burwabit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #13
quackadikt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Iím a big 60x and GAS fan. Have a set of Americaís Best(PSE factory strings) on my backup bow and theyíve been great so far.

I tried Catfish Customs two different times and had bad peep rotation issues both time and some serving separation real quick like on one of them. He tried to make it right, but I just donít like his strings. Hear lots of good things about them by lots of people though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #14
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

So is there a string that picks up FPS??? I had a last minute restring in August before our elk hunt, and had to stick another set of Zebras on. I am now looking for something more solid. If it matters, I have a Mathews HTX.

I had been considering GAS, but not as interested based on the comments above. Might have to look at 60x, but if anyone has first hand knowledge with an HTX/HTR, I would really appreciate it.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #15
kyleseipp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano/Mason, KS, IA, MO

I ordered a set of USA Custom Strings w/ speed nocks on ebay for an HTR. Saw it pickup 4 fps, but that is comparing end-of-life string speed to brand new string speed. I could not say what the old strings were
kyleseipp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2021, 09:04 AM   #16
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Gas ghost strings guarantee speed increase. Only 2 colors though white and camo

I put GAS on mine and this far like them the best of all I’ve shot
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #17
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post

I put GAS on mine and this far like them the best of all Iíve shot

Thanks for the great info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #18
Pipeliner1
Four Point

I bought a Prime Nexus 4 and replaced the factory strings with BC Custom strings and keep the factory ones for backup.No problems with the factory ones but I wanted some color
Attached Images

Pipeliner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 10:12 AM   #19
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleseipp View Post
I ordered a set of USA Custom Strings w/ speed nocks on ebay for an HTR. Saw it pickup 4 fps, but that is comparing end-of-life string speed to brand new string speed. I could not say what the old strings were
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post

I put GAS on mine and this far like them the best of all Iíve shot
Good info. Thanks!
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #20
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the place

I use the factory until they wear and break. My last bow had factory strings on it up until the day I got rid of it, 8 years...

The only thing I did notice was my string (as they aged) made me loose Feet Per Second on the arrow speed. Knowing that I will probably try to replace the string every 2 years up until I purchase a new bow again.
IOWA BOW HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #21
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

The only bow maker that I’ve been impressed with factory strings has been Hoyt. Their quality is solid, and even when they settle it takes minor adjustments to get back to proper spec.

If you have the money, a good aftermarket string is worth it. Between rogue, 60x, JBK, Winners choice, vapor trail, and America’s best, I’d have to say that my favorites have been Rogue and America’s best. Center serving is a big deal to me, and both of these companies have sent me strings that don’t require me to go back and re-serve them. Stretch is minimal when you use the right material, and I’ve really enjoyed the 452-x for minimal break in time and longevity.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top