TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Biggs View Post

Hmmm… I don’t know why the colors vary. Two different hives a few miles apart.
    The bees were just gathering nectar from 2 different plants. What was blooming in the area the honey came from?

Comment

TTT. Wife is very interested in getting started. She's scheduled for a class this Saturday out between Huffman and Dayton. Hope to get bees at our place in Centerville/Leon County.

Anyone in that area have bees?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        TTT. Wife is very interested in getting started. She's scheduled for a class this Saturday out between Huffman and Dayton. Hope to get bees at our place in Centerville/Leon County.

It’s addicting

Comment

Anyone got all natural hive beetle treatment other than diatomaceous earth?
          Couple of my hives got really over ran with beetles this year in places I've never had a major issue. I've always just covered the ground in diatomaceous earth put hives in full sun and been good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

If y’all get into it I know a guy with a bee farm in Katy/Fulshear that sells a very gentle (friendly) group of bees from Georgia. Just FYI. I took the class and it was great fun.

Comment

Going into my first winter with 5 hive. 4 are pretty strong and 1 is ok. I fed a lot of 1:1 syrup before it started getting cold. I’m making soft sugar bricks this week I will add later just for insurance.

I’m building a lot of swarm traps for the spring. All out of scrap boards and crap laying around. I need more but running out of scrap so I might just combine mediums.

Comment

How’s everyone’s bees doing ? Do to a ton of health and family issues I have really neglected my bees. I haven’t done an inspection sense August. I went though my 10 double deep hives this afternoon and all are doing great. I added aprivar strips and busted them down some. I had two that were really honey bound believe it or not so I took 4 frames each from them. Also added a special sugar brick to all that has a bunch of good stuff for them just because. They really didn’t need it though all looked really strong. All had plenty of honey stores as I didn’t harvest any because of health issues this year. Looks like I’m going to have a lot of splitting to do this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post

Going into my first winter with 5 hive. 4 are pretty strong and 1 is ok. I fed a lot of 1:1 syrup before it started getting cold. I’m making soft sugar bricks this week I will add later just for insurance.

I’m building a lot of swarm traps for the spring. All out of scrap boards and crap laying around. I need more but running out of scrap so I might just combine mediums.
                  Keep the entrances small and sugar bricks right on top of the frames and you’ll be fine. I had a very experienced bee keeper tell me my first year to feed on top of the inner cover. Huge mistake I lost 3 hives to starvation because of that bad advice.

Comment

Someone gave me 4 empty hive boxes last fall with frames so been following bee info and watching lots YouTube. Thought about buying bees but may just try catching a swarm by putting my boxes in different locations in ladder stands. Man there is ALOT of MUCH NEEDED INFO for a bee keeping hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by MdStrutnRut View Post
                      Someone gave me 4 empty hive boxes last fall with frames so been following bee info and watching lots YouTube. Thought about buying bees but may just try catching a swarm by putting my boxes in different locations in ladder stands. Man there is ALOT of MUCH NEEDED INFO for a bee keeping hobby.
                      If you’re not in a hurry you can definitely do that. I trapped 5 swarms at my house. It’s best to find somebody by you that will mentor you if possible. I was never successful with that. For some reason the ladies with the hourglass figures get mentors fighting over them lol ! Us old guys are on our own.

Comment

Originally posted by MdStrutnRut View Post

I’d never buy bees. Swarm traps or cut outs could get you covered easily.

Comment

Worst year I have had with bees. Very little honey and lost 3 hives. I mean they left and without saying good bye. No sure why. Im thinking lack of food. My hives at my old house are fine, the ones in the Pineywoods, not so good

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                            How many bee keepers do we have on TBH ? Any of you going to put out swarm traps at your leases ? Post up pictures if you have them of your hives or swarm traps. I started 3 hives last spring and they’re doing well (fingers crossed).
                            I am a bee keeper from Alberta that moved down to Fulshear. Texas is honestly challenging for me. It is my third year keeping bees and have lost more than I want to admit to.

Back in Alberta I was able to have 4 hives and had no issues. I was able to open them up end of March and let them do their flights to poop. Collect dandelion and clover. Then we had the canola crop and that produced more honey than we knew what to do with. My only worry was varroa.

In Texas I have to worry about fire ants, varroa, wax moths, SHB, cockroaches, snakes, more wasps and hornets, rats, weather and flooding.

Comment

Originally posted by PLBowhunter View Post
                              I am a bee keeper from Alberta that moved down to Fulshear. Texas is honestly challenging for me. It is my third year keeping bees and have lost more than I want to admit to.

Back in Alberta I was able to have 4 hives and had no issues. I was able to open them up end of March and let them do their flights to poop. Collect dandelion and clover. Then we had the canola crop and that produced more honey than we knew what to do with. My only worry was varroa.

In Texas I have to worry about fire ants, varroa, wax moths, SHB, cockroaches, snakes, more wasps and hornets, rats, weather and flooding.
                              True and starvation. Early spring here is when it happens. It warms up and they burn though their resources before the glow happens and bam they’re done. I keep sugar bricks on them till it gets warm then swap to 2-1

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                                True and starvation. Early spring here is when it happens. It warms up and they burn though their resources before the glow happens and bam they’re done. I keep sugar bricks on them till it gets warm then swap to 2-1
                                I don't give up on things often but this one I am considering it. Plus driving 45 minutes to the bee yard one way is a pain for me, especially when sometimes I'm home for only two days.

Comment

Working...
                                X