My Son Got His Biggest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Son Got His Biggest

Sorry for the long read, proud dad moment. I think I'm officially just a guide now. I posted last week about my youngest son and my stepson getting their first buck (200" of Bone thread). I have had this deer in my scope numerous times and made the decision to let my son try to get him. My son has been trying for a couple of weeks now to get a shot at him and rode the roller coaster of the deer walking out, leaving, etc. The deer has been pretty consistent so Saturday morning I took my oldest son out to try to get this deer.

We got in the blind at about 6:20 Saturday morning. I had just finished getting all of my crap out and set up(binocs, thermal, ozonics, thermacell, camera, etc.) when I looked up thru my binocs and I could make out a deer under the feeder. I double checked with the thermal and was pretty sure it was him but we needed more light. After a painful few minutes trying to talk the sun into coming up faster I could make him out and knew it was him. We were in a bow blind so he was 20 yards away but still not enough light for my son to shoot or for the camera. So the painful wait continued. Finally there was enough light and my son tried to get situated for the shot. Then the deer took off to the left (away from where my son could shoot) about 40 yards. NOT AGAIN!! He took a look around and started to come back in. I glanced at my watch and it was almost 7:00 so I told my son he had 20 minutes to get the shot before the feeder went off.

As he walked in I got the camera on him and told my son I was ready when he was. A couple of seconds later I hear the safety go off and then another couple of seconds go by and BOOM!! The deer jogged about 10 yards and stopped. He missed. I start telling my son to reload and get another shot off. The deer had stopped 10 yards behind the feeder (30 yards away now) perfectly broadside. BOOM!! You could tell the shot hit and my son immediately said "I got him that time". The deer jogged about 20 yards away, slowed to a walk for a few feet and laid down in the middle of the field. Crap, I knew that meant the shot was likely back. Again, reload!! "Can you get a shot?" My son's reply was no, all i can see is from his eyes up as the deer looked around. So I told my son to stay on him and if he gets up shoot again.

10 minutes went by and I see my son stiffen up. The deer is getting up!! When the deer got up he was facing directly away from us and he started walking away from us. No shot unless it was a Texas Heart Shot. He gingerly walked over 100 yards to the edge of the brush and laid down again. No shot and my son said all he could see was the antlers once he laid down. I told him to stay on him. 30 minutes passed by watching the deer look around hoping he would lay his head down and die. Then my son got tense again, "He is getting up". I got my binocs on him and told him to get another round in him. BOOM!! The deer walks into the brush and down into a creek. It looked like another clean miss as the deer never flinched. After we found the deer we confirmed the last shot hit the back leg and got into the guts.

Out of bullets, we waited a while and then decided to walk to the truck and discuss what to do. I wanted to go look but given that the shot was back (I confirmed on the video) I was scared of pushing the deer. So I decided to call in a dog. I called the Zoch's and they said they had another call but would discuss since that deer had been pushed. Both post on here but I can't remember their screen names. I'm sure they will chime in.

Jarod called back and said they were close and would come to us first to give the other deer time. We met at the gate, I showed them the video and talked for a few and then I took them down to where the shot was. They let the dog out and off she went. About a minute after Mr Zoch went into the creek he yelled. The deer hadn't made it 20 yards into the creek. It would have been an easy find without the dog but better safe than sorry!! The last shot did enough damage to put the deer down pretty quick as he was already starting to get stiff when we found him. Thank you Jarod, Wayne and the kids for helping Drew find his deer!!

My son had his biggest deer. He is a big framed 8 that I scored at 126". I'm meeting up with Chance today to drop him off. Thanks for reading along.

Congrats Drew, I love you and I'm proud of you. Next time drop him in his tracks though!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drew Deer 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	25268107
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Drew Deer 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	25268108

Just looked it up. Jzoch and his dad were the ones who helped me find my son's deer. Class act all the way around and great to meet y'all. Some of the nicest men I've ever met. I appreciate all the help!!
    Last edited by cehorn; 12-06-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

nice work!

Comment

Congrats to your son! Good write up.

Comment

Congrats to your son and you sir!

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

Congrats to your Son & A Big Thumbs up to you for letting him get the deer!

Comment

Sweet!
                Congrats!

Comment

Nice buck, congrats to your son

Comment

Great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats and great deer.

Rwc

Comment

I love a happy ending! Congrats to your son!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                          Congrats to your Son & A Big Thumbs up to you for letting him get the deer!
                          Thanks. Full disclosure, there are 2 or 3 out there that are bigger that I'm after that influenced my decision...I'm really hoping to catch up to 1 now that my guiding is pretty much done for the year...

This season will be one of my biggest successes if I don't hunt any more this season. It is truly a blessing to have gotten my kids on these deer!!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X