Two Stage Throw and Spray Food plot progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Stage Throw and Spray Food plot progress

Had to take a little different approach this year, as we had a nice shooter in this area pre-season. This field had shoulder height goatweed / sticker grass when we went out there in late august. I sprayed the hell out of it and planted a AWP / Brassica / Daikon radish blend down the middle, with oats and rye on the sides. I knew I was way too early on the oats and rye, but they're cheap so I went for it anyway.

Well the buck got taken out opening weekend, so I took advantage of some timely rain second weekend of october and re planted some more clover and a bunch of elbon rye where I didn't have any coverage. This was all no till with my only equipment being a sprayer, electric broadcaster that mounts to the front of my sxs, and a 4x4 drag harrow.

So far it is working really well, I've got a good strip of radish / turnips in the middle of this field, with the rye / clover coming on strong on the edges. The dead goatweed is working well as cover / exclusion cages (rye is 12-15" in the middle of those stands and about 4-6" outside of that). Hung a new set that overlooks the field this Sunday, so looking forward to some late season hunts here.
    Attached Files

what did you spray it with? remedy? Sendero?
    what throw did you use (brand) AWP / Brassica / Daikon radish blend?

Looks great!

Comment

Brassica mix was merit seed ultra max, includes

Winfred Brassica
      Bayou Kale
      Hunter Rape
      Barkant Grazing Turnip

Added the daikon radish for soil building. Used aberlasting clover with my rye, also have a good amount of native clover coming up that looks like spotted burclover.

Sprayed with glyphosphate. Doesn't take much to knock back goatweed. Hoping going forward I can keep the goatweed down some and dodge the chemicals. In the spring I will (hopefully) broadcast buckwheat into the standing rye to keep the weeds at bay.

Comment

Working...
      X