Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks.
    We broadcast fertilizer with our Turner seeds, but they recommended only a 100 lbs acre
    And follow up later after grass and weeds are gone.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
      Thanks.
      We broadcast fertilizer with our Turner seeds, but they recommended only a 100 lbs acre
      And follow up later after grass and weeds are gone.

BP

That’s probably the best way to do it. I always worry about the plots burning if it doesn’t rain. Have you had any issues with the plots burning if it doesn’t ever rain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We finished our walk in game cooler that’s built under our tractor barn. We sprayed closed cell foam 3 in thick and then installed 3-in thick foam panels and installed a cool-bot. We will be able to hang up to 8 deer at a time. Here are some pics:

Comment

Comment

We are going to install some big rubber mats with holes in them on the floor and getting a large plastic mat made for the room so it can be taken out and cleaned. We will hang the deer on our game pole outside, wash/clean, and allow it to dry for 10-min or so before hanging them in the cooler.

Comment

I like it! Should work great for you!

Comment

Pretty buck we are allowing to go one more year. We have him at 6yrs this year.

Comment

Comment

Incredible buck!!

Comment

Incredible

Comment

In answer to fertilizer, I won’t sling it unless rain is coming. So no experience with burning.

That is a beautiful buck. Looks like a good breeder.

Any idea of the age these deer will live to in the hill country with good groceries before they decline ? I assume they will lose dominance and breed less after an age

South texas ranches and gar guy have sure seen some big antlered older deer in those areas

BP

Comment

I like the move to roll the dice one more year on that guy. Pretty buck

Comment

11/10/2021 Update

Here are some pictures of the wheat and oat fields. I broadcasted silver river clover, crimson clover, chicory, radishes, and hairy vetch on Monday. It doesn't look like it's going to rain but the clovers and chicory should be able to withstand a dry spell at least I'm hoping they do...fingers crossed.

[ATTACH]1069983[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069984[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069985[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069986[/ATTACH]
                            The picture above is a grazing enclosure to see how much the deer are eating.

[ATTACH]1069987[/ATTACH]
                            The trees are all doing great.

We decided to not graze cattle this year and all of our native grasses are knee high. A lot of the sendaros that we cleared two years ago are finally showing a lot of the forbs and grasses we broadcasted 2 years ago.
                            [ATTACH]1069988[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069989[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1069990[/ATTACH]

We are going to try to shoot 6 to 10 deer next weekend and through Thanksgiving week and disk some strips throughout some of our the sendaros/openings to see if we see any additional cool season forbs for wildlife.

Comment

Seeing any quail?
                              Turkeys should love those areas

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                                Seeing any quail?
                                Turkeys should love those areas

Haven’t seen quail in a couple of trips. We normally see one or two coveys each trip. Turkeys are everywhere.

Here’s a pic of that buck with all the kickers at his base. We are passing him for one more year.

Comment

Working...
                                X