Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aging hill country bucks.

For the past couple of years I feel like
    I have a pretty good bead on aging the bucks we have. Generally saying “mature” or “not mature” isn’t the problem it’s determining an exact age on the hoof. Let’s face it, without year one pictures and pictures every season or most every season after it’s always room for error.

I’m almost certain the sequence of pictures is a little bucks that’s a regularly in my area is of him at 1-3 years of age. 2019 being 1-1.5 and 2021 is him this year as what I would think is 3-3.5 years.

My issue now is this. I have several other bucks that I started out thinking were 3.5 and 4.5 last year. But I am seriously considering that I was leaving a year out simply due to initial pictures being preseason/pre rut pictures and then went the rest of the year just taking it as truth.

One buck in question. Completely considered him as a 3.5 last year. After seeing the above I’m wondering if I was off a year.

Last year.

This year.

The other buck is one that I’m positive is a year older than this one. He’s a 10 that I had posted in another thread last season then updated this season with more recent pics.

Here

Not looking for approval to shoot something or what you would do. Or any scores. Just looking for some legitimate thoughts from guys familiar with aging hill country deer. Any helpful tips or genuine educated guesses would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SwampBuck; 10-23-2021, 09:40 PM.

I hunt in Kimble County and agree that it's difficult to pin down the age of the deer even when you have multiple years worth of pictures. For one thing, varying range conditions can make a deer look older or younger year to year.

I took my harvested deer to the CWD check station last year. They open up the jaw and age them based on tooth wear. Based on this method, 4 out of my 5 deer were a year older than I had estimated.

Comment

Originally posted by treestand View Post
      I hunt in Kimble County and agree that it's difficult to pin down the age of the deer even when you have multiple years worth of pictures. For one thing, varying range conditions can make a deer look older or younger year to year.

I took my harvested deer to the CWD check station last year. They open up the jaw and age them based on tooth wear. Based on this method, 4 out of my 5 deer were a year older than I had estimated.
      Good info.
      I’ve heard/read several guys say already that many times when judging these middle aged to older hill country bucks to take what age you think they are and you can likely tack a year on to it, unless you have an absolute year to year knowledge of them from the start.

Comment

Most folks struggle with aging hill country deer. From what I have seen MOST will underage a buck. Very, very common. Without history with your herd it can be very difficult. One very important thing I noticed with your post...A deer isn't 1-1.5, or 3-3.5. Gotta pick one. Either call him a 3 year old, OR call him a 3.5 year old. Never a "3 or 3.5" year old. Make sense? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. I'll have to go back and look at your pics later.

Comment

Hill Country jackrabbits are just dainty little deer. They always look younger than you think. And the antlers look bigger on those little bodies than they end up measuring too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
            Most folks struggle with aging hill country deer. From what I have seen MOST will underage a buck. Very, very common. Without history with your herd it can be very difficult. One very important thing I noticed with your post...A deer isn't 1-1.5, or 3-3.5. Gotta pick one. Either call him a 3 year old, OR call him a 3.5 year old. Never a "3 or 3.5" year old. Make sense? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. I'll have to go back and look at your pics later.
            I always grew up seeing/hearing x.5 so generally that’s what I tend to say. Up until a year or so ago I saw a thread with a bunch of back and forth and people making a fuss of it so to avoid a generic bs comment I just broadly said x-x.5

In my head .5 always made a little more sense since fawns are generally born in the spring/summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Hill Country jackrabbits are just dainty little deer. They always look younger than you think. And the antlers look bigger on those little bodies than they end up measuring too.
              Agreed. I love hunting here though, and all the deer are free range and not supplemental fed so luckily I don’t get wrap up in expecting any sort of score out of them. Most years I tend to pass deer or drop bigger bodied old 8’s.

Comment

It's a blast hunting the Hill Country with all the numbers. For sure.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Its a different world. Its strange how unique hill country deer are compared to deer in other regions. I agree that most people underage hill country deer. Range conditions play a huge factor in aging them from year to year. I grew up in Llano county, and my idea of a "mature" deer has evolved.

On a side note, I've noticed that people are killing bigger bucks in the hill country compared to what they used to. The numbers in our area have declined. As a kid in the late 90's/early 2000's, I can remember counting herds of does in the 90-100 range. You would be lucky to see groups a 1/4 of the size of that around that area now.
                  Last edited by Arrowthreat; 10-25-2021, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    It's a blast hunting the Hill Country with all the numbers. For sure.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
                    We have a couple of new guys this year and the numbers blows their minds. We have no issues filling several freezers each year and it’s hardly noticeable on the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                      We have a couple of new guys this year and the numbers blows their minds. We have no issues filling several freezers each year and it’s hardly noticeable on the herd.
                      True, well maybe as we have new neighbors that are apparently rich... they shot the woods up this weekend...no fewer then 30 or so shots.. went from seeing 15-20 deer Saturday morning ( and this has been norm for last 2 seasons every weekend to 3 Sunday evening.. Wasn't a good opener for us thus far.

Comment

Maybe they’re just gonna be there on the holiday weekends and that’s it. Our guys that share pasture borders with neighbors outside the lease always notice way more shots on opening weekend, thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

Comment

Working...
                        X