Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
Rswan13
Four Point

Default Factory PRS Rifle Options

Last year, I shot my first PRS style match and had a blast. Since I plan on shooting more matches this year, Iím looking at upgrading my rifle in the near future. Iím currently running a pair of Ruger American Predators in 6 Creed and 6.5 Creed that both shoot really well. The problem I run into is they are still pretty light with the Magpul stock and the barrel heats up really fast.

Iíd like to get something with a heavier barrel and a more rigid stock or chassis. Iíd also prefer to stick with the 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor since Iím already set for reloading those and Iím leaning towards the 6. Iíve been looking at the factory rifles below. Iíd say the budget will probably be in the $800-$1200 range, but that may be flexible if itís worth saving longer for a better option. If anyone has any input on these or others I didnít list, Iíll appreciate any info I can get. Thanks in advance!

Ruger Precision
Bergara HMR
Bergara BMP
Savage BA Stealth
Bergara HMR Pro or LRP (have to save more, but get action and trigger upgrade)
Rswan13 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
zr2chevy22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

Look at the PVA John Handcock rifle. They are a good production PRS class rifle but are above your budget. There are 2 or 3 other companies producing production legal PRS rifles also based off custom actions. Don't remember them off hand.
zr2chevy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Rswan13
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
Look at the PVA John Handcock rifle. They are a good production PRS class rifle but are above your budget. There are 2 or 3 other companies producing production legal PRS rifles also based off custom actions. Don't remember them off hand.
Yeah Iíve seen those, but 2 grand for a rifle isnít going to be an option anytime soon. Iíd have to get real competitive in this game before Iíd be able to consider something like that.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

I don't shoot PRS, but have a Bergara HMR and have shot my buddies HMR in 6.5 Creed.
Both shoot really well and the trigger in them are very good for a production rifle as well.
Kenner97 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
Tbar
Ten Point

FWIW - My 24" heavy barrel Masterpiece Arms in .308 with a Leupold Mark 8 weighs ~ 16 pounds unloaded.
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #6
300rem7
Eight Point

1. Tikka has a factory chassis rifle
2. Tikka CTR and order a KRG Bravo Chassis
300rem7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
gfulton
Eight Point

I don't see Tikka on your list. I believe they chamber one for 6mm creed.

Edit: I may be mistaken could not find one.

Last edited by gfulton; 02-26-2020 at 12:30 PM.
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
Rswan13
Four Point

I had looked at some of the Tikkas and have shot the Tac A1, but hadn’t seen those cheaper than about $1500.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
Rswan13
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
FWIW - My 24" heavy barrel Masterpiece Arms in .308 with a Leupold Mark 8 weighs ~ 16 pounds unloaded.
This is part of the reason for the upgrade, I can see my rig bouncing in videos when taking shots off of tabletops and things like that. My rifle, scope, bipod and full mag weigh just over 10 pounds. Iím sure the added weight will help a little with that. Iím definitely not opposed to a heavier gun. This one will be for target shooting and comps only.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Bergera HMR $800
Bergera HMR Pro $1250
Seekins Havak Bravo $1500
MPA BA PMR $1800

I listed my top choices for each price point. Those aren’t everyday prices, but wait and search prices. Not hard to do. I could find any of those rifles with 2-3 weeks for that price or better.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #11
Rswan13
Four Point

I’ve found the Bergaras for just about the prices you listed, which is why I think they are towards the top of my list at the moment. What’s your opinion on the two HMRs and their chassis variants? HMR vs BMP and HMR Pro vs LRP? And do you think the Pro versions are worth the extra money for what you get?
Old 02-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #12
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Personally I’m not a chassis fan at all, but some reason I kind of like the MPA chassis. I’ve set up a handful of Bergara Premium rifles as well as a few B-14 line. They have all shot very well, but I wasn’t a fan of he BMP chassis that sat up for a customer. If you can score the HMR Pro within your price range that would be my choice, if not you’ll be happy with the HMR. If you can up your price range a bit then the Havak Bravo is a fantastic rifle.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #13
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

Howa is another option.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #14
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rswan13 View Post
This is part of the reason for the upgrade, I can see my rig bouncing in videos when taking shots off of tabletops and things like that. My rifle, scope, bipod and full mag weigh just over 10 pounds. Iím sure the added weight will help a little with that. Iím definitely not opposed to a heavier gun. This one will be for target shooting and comps only.
https://masterpiecearms.com/available-chambers/
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 06:06 PM   #15
-HIC-
Ten Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
Without the MPA weight kit, correct? The MPA weight kit is well thought out, add weight in the front, back, or both for better handling.

I am not sure what the weight limit in PRS programs comes in at but with the weight kit and a straight 1.25 profile mine can vary from 18 to 22 ish. I have not weighed with the M24 contour and the weight kit. If you are interested I can put it on the scale.

I usually do not like chassis setups but the MPA is the exception. I wish they would not have done the 'thumbhole' look with the new one.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #16
futureagg
Eight Point

Hunt In: Crockett

Hereís some things Iíve learned after about 12 matches. I still shoot my Bergara HMR in 6.5CM with athlon Ares ETR scope. (Pic attached)

The biggest complaint I have on the HMR is weight. Itís not heavy enough. I am about to add lead shot into butt stock of the stock or upgrade the stock to a grayboe ridgeback. The HMR stocks fore end is also very short so I added an area 419 Arca Rail 14Ē to give me more length on obstacles and the adjustability of of the bipod. (If you go this route Area 419 is now making an arca rail you can put brass weights in to add more weight. Wasnít available a year ago.)

If I was starting over I would look at something I could get to a 15-16lb rifle. So the BMP and then add MLOK weights to the fore end. (I didnít like the chassis on the BMP).

My buddy has the LRP and Iíve probably put 100 round through his and itís a shooter, but no more than my HMR. So itís a personal preference on feel.

If you are looking at the pro series look at the Bergara Ridgeback with the grayboe ridgeback stock. Amazing PRS stock with the MLOK rails on side and bottom and still meets all the adjustability of LOP and cheek rest, and you can remove your bolt with this stock with the cheek piece in any configuration.

If you have any questions on how the HMR is feel free to reach out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
futureagg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #17
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker county

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
Bergera HMR $800
Bergera HMR Pro $1250
Seekins Havak Bravo $1500
MPA BA PMR $1800

I listed my top choices for each price point. Those arenít everyday prices, but wait and search prices. Not hard to do. I could find any of those rifles with 2-3 weeks for that price or better.
The mpa is the best choice here imho. I wouldnít look at anything else.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #18
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I have an HMR in 308 but if I could swing it, I'd get the Seekins...
Matt_C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 01:59 AM   #19
snipermedic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Arkansas

If your worried about money and going to shoot a lot stay away from the 6mm creed and greater. Barrels cost a lot. Stay way from 308 wind eats it. 6.5creed is your best option in a factory gun and factory Ammo.
Guys said Tikka. Well mags are proprietary and $$$ your going to need at least 3. If you like the BMP chassis then I would run that. That’s what I run. If you like a stock then the HMR is nice. Savage has a new comp gun not sure the price though. That could be better choice cause once you burn a barrel it’s easy to swap.

I see your budget is 800-1200. Don’t forget to compete you need decent glass. That’s 600-2k. Rings 100-300. 2 bags 150-200. Bipod 100-400.

Gaming ain’t cheap but smart purchases you can do it.
snipermedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 02:05 AM   #20
snipermedic
Ten Point

Someone said Howa. That is an option. Buy a barreled action and chassis of you choice. The barreled actions are cheap enough to be disposable. In fact this is probably the road I’m taking in the future.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #21
Rswan13
Four Point

I appreciate all the input so far. Right now, a rifle upgrade is my priority. I’ve got a couple decent options on glass that I’ll move to the new gun. I’ll be loading my own ammo so I don’t have to worry about factory loads. I’ve got plenty of components for both the 6 and 6.5 Creed already, which is why I want to stick to those two calibers. As far as barrel replacement goes, I’ll just have to cross that bridge when I get there and I understand that’s just part of this game.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
Rswan13
Four Point

Futureagg, thanks for the perspective on the HMR. Sounds like it’s similar to some of the shortcomings I’ve got with my magpul stock setup, just not quite as pronounced. I’ve got a buddy that has an HMR that I shoot really well, but I haven’t had a chance to really put it through it’s paces yet.

Snipermedic, does your BMP have a barrel nut on it? I’m seeing pictures of those rifles with and without them. I also found that Bergara will re-barrel one of their rifles for $500. Doesn’t sound unreasonable, but I’ve never done that before, so I don’t have any experience to compare that number to.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #23
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Badrock production rifle (southfork I think itís called) or GA Precision would get my vote. They are a little north of your price range but worth the price of admission if you ask me.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #24
snipermedic
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rswan13 View Post
Futureagg, thanks for the perspective on the HMR. Sounds like itís similar to some of the shortcomings Iíve got with my magpul stock setup, just not quite as pronounced. Iíve got a buddy that has an HMR that I shoot really well, but I havenít had a chance to really put it through itís paces yet.

Snipermedic, does your BMP have a barrel nut on it? Iím seeing pictures of those rifles with and without them. I also found that Bergara will re-barrel one of their rifles for $500. Doesnít sound unreasonable, but Iíve never done that before, so I donít have any experience to compare that number to.

Yes mine has the barrel nut. The first runs had nuts because they wanted them easy switable. The second gen doesnít not have barrel nuts. You can but barreled actions from them and stock it how you want it.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #25
bowhuntermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

I have an HMR with a Timney Trigger that I will make you a smoking deal on. Its a dead nuts shooter, but want to sell it and get something lighter. I bought it to be my long range antelope rig but carrying it 5-6 miles a day is no bueno!
bowhuntermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #26
m714
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
god no. Stay away from PVA for anything they don't immediately have in stock. They still have John Hancock orders from nearly 2 years ago that have not been fulfilled. No need to be annoyed by PVA and their lack of accountability or responsibility to a customer. There are too many other good smiths these days to put up with PVA. Go to APR or LRI or Straight Jacket or just about anyone else but PVA.
m714 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top