Feeding protein year round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was mentioning this to a buddy about how I wanted to start feeding year round and he said he’d heard that it is not good to feed year round due to possibly sterilization of the bucks due to the high concentration of protein. He said that’s why some ranches stop feeding around sept to give the bucks a chance to get it out of there system before breeding season.

Did speak to a rancher in south tx that said he doesn’t advise giving cottonseed year round due to sterilizing the bucks due to the high protein concentration.

Never heard of this and I myself don’t know enough about it.

What does the experienced green screen say?

In pen deer/cattle cottonseed can make them sterile because of a compound in the oil that contains estrogen, not protein. For normal wild Deer, they will rarely eat enough to make themselves sterile.

I do know for a fact people associated with protein feeds are spinning the message that cottonseed will wreck deer herds.
    Last edited by kyle1974; 02-25-2020, 02:17 PM.

Comment

No issues with feeding protein year round.

Comment

Feed protein year round here via timed protein feeders.

Your buddy got some **** mixed up.

Comment

Highly recommend feeding all year round free choice

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought I’ve heard every excuse to simply justify not wanting to spend the money year around.... but this is a new one lol.

Feed as much and often as you can afford or until the deer are no longer emptying the feeders. Cottonseed is a great supplemental source of protein that we feed side by side with our protein pellets free choice. We’ve found that it helps offset some of the cost as it is cheaper than pellets and provides another option for the deer to chose from. We only stop feeding cottonseed when we can’t get it from the gins and they have it all contracted up.

Comment

Well crap, I have been feeding protein Year round and have only had a 100% fawn crop. I guess I would have a better fawn crop if I quit feeding in August.

Comment

BTW, the gin in Wall is pretty much contracted out, or so they told me when I picked up a load today.

Comment

It was hard for me to believe when my buddy was telling me but I could definitely see giving cotton seed year round to a penned deer could potentially be sterile for them but not so much for wild deer.

Comment

Originally posted by 2good2Btru View Post
                    It was hard for me to believe when my buddy was telling me but I could definitely see giving cotton seed year round to a penned deer could potentially be sterile for them but not so much for wild deer.
                    no worries - that myth has been floating around - others have asked the exact same question many times so it is a legit concern if you hear something like that. We have fed CS for 7-8 years and our herd is as healthy as you will find

Comment

I’m going to try cotton seed for the first tome this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would suggest a. Three year commitment. If you don’t see fruit then quit but I think you would see fruit

Comment

My deer are just now getting back on to protein since they came off of it late September. I will not have protein out during the season next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                            My deer are just now getting back on to protein since they came off of it late September. I will not have protein out during the season next year.
                            Due to making hunting more difficult or other reasons?

Comment

How do you dispense cottonseed?

bill

Comment

Working...
                              X