Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default Help me layout my deck

Iím trying to put an estimate together on materials for a deck at our home. I have attached a picture. Here are my questions

1. What size joists 2x6 or 2x8?
2. What spacing? 16Ē or 24Ē?
3. How far apart should I put the posts?
4. Is there a way I can save money?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
Big Lee
Eight Point
 
Big Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TX
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

This is no help to you. But looks like a great place to hang out once finished!!
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
This is no help to you. But looks like a great place to hang out once finished!!


Thatís the goal! Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
Kenner97
Ten Point
 
Kenner97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Iím trying to put an estimate together on materials for a deck at our home. I have attached a picture. Here are my questions

1. What size joists 2x6 or 2x8?
2. What spacing? 16Ē or 24Ē?
3. How far apart should I put the posts?
4. Is there a way I can save money?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I built my deck about 10 years ago. 2x6 on 16" center. I but a 4x4 every 4 feet. I had to rebuild the decking last year but the runners were still in good shape and solid.
I would recommend decking with 2x6 instead of the "deck boards" that are around 1" i believe.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
ctom87
Ten Point
 
ctom87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Searching.
Default

I used 2x6, I believe it was 16" apart, and instead of posts, I used concrete blocks. FYI, it was attached to my shed.

Last edited by ctom87; 02-24-2020 at 05:03 PM.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2020, 06:37 AM   #7
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Iím thinking if I used 2x6x12ís for everything. I could space the posts at 6í on center and run the joist long ways and run the deck boards the short way on the deck....am I wrong by thinking I am gonna have a lot of extra post I have to set if Iím secure if them to the joist? Iím thinking it will be cheaper and easier if I set beams first. I just donít think I have enough room to do that Iím trying to match the height of my existing deck. Finished height on deck needs to be around 10Ē


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #8
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Even if I stagger posts on each joists I will still have a row of posts every 16Ē. Seems very excessive


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2020, 06:54 AM   #9
Big_gun
Ten Point
 
Big_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wallis
Hunt In: Open for Suggestions
Default

you going to set post in ground OR use deck blocks set in shallow holes?
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2020, 06:58 AM   #10
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_gun View Post
you going to set post in ground OR use deck blocks set in shallow holes?


Sandy soil. Thinking posts in ground with concrete


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
Bryan11
Six Point
 
Bryan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Default

With such a short height you could get away with setting blocks in a shallow hole as previously suggested. Stick with 2x6x12's on 16" centers. You could run your decking on a diagonal for a more aesthetic appearance but it will waste more material.
Bryan11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2020, 11:28 PM   #12
100%TtId
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Is this totally free-standing or connected to a structure with a ledger? This will affect the number of posts and joist length/direction. Also, are you planning to use composite deck boards (Trex, choicedek, etc)? If the soil stays wet, use galvanized joist anchors in the concrete and set off the wood so it doesn't touch the dirt. Rotten posts will be the hardest thing to repair down the road.
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #13
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
Is this totally free-standing or connected to a structure with a ledger? This will affect the number of posts and joist length/direction. Also, are you planning to use composite deck boards (Trex, choicedek, etc)? If the soil stays wet, use galvanized joist anchors in the concrete and set off the wood so it doesn't touch the dirt. Rotten posts will be the hardest thing to repair down the road.


It will be against my house but not connected


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #14
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point
 
Spoiled_TN_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South Austin
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

This not complete, but an example of the program I use.
Attached Images
 
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #15
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
This not complete, but an example of the program I use.


Thatís nice! Is it a free program?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #16
Spoiled_TN_boy
Eight Point
 
Spoiled_TN_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South Austin
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
Thatís nice! Is it a free program?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Legally? No, it's not free. Although there may be a student version available for free.
Attached Images
    
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #17
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

Don't run your joists longways, keep the joists shorter, deck boards longer.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 05:35 AM   #18
Stan R
Pope & Young
 
Stan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Madisonville
Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County
Default

I think Home Depot or Lowes has a deck planning program.

That's what I used on the first one.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 05:46 AM   #19
Big Lee
Eight Point
 
Big Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TX
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Don't run your joists longways, keep the joists shorter, deck boards longer.
Just based on Daleís builds. Whatever he says will withstand hurricanes. Lol.
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 07:03 AM   #20
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Don't run your joists longways, keep the joists shorter, deck boards longer.


Ok well if I was to run them the short way like pic above, what size joust would I need to use to span 12í? I can set post on the outside runners. The deck wonít be tall enough to fit beams under the rafters. I was gonna run a 2x8 the short way every 8í and then run the rafters the long way between them. I was going to set posts on each one of the 2x8ís running the short way. 3 on each. What do you think?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #21
sharpstick35
Eight Point
 
sharpstick35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: odessa tx
Hunt In: rocksprings tx
Default

Name:  20190327_131438.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  20190327_131518.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  79.0 KB

I built this around my ranch house last winter. I used 2x6's and did it in 16 ft sections that are bolted together. Yhis year i am framing out a roof over the whole thing.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #22
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

https://youtu.be/XmHWg3dhEGQ
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #23
100%TtId
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Don't run your joists longways, keep the joists shorter, deck boards longer.
And if possible, design the deck so that your joist runs are even multiples of your joist lumber to minimize waste. Plus, you have to make fewer cuts this way.
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #24
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
And if possible, design the deck so that your joist runs are even multiples of your joist lumber to minimize waste. Plus, you have to make fewer cuts this way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Don't run your joists longways, keep the joists shorter, deck boards longer.


What would you guys use to span 11í 6Ē? 2x8??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2020, 02:39 PM   #25
Dale Moser
Pope & Young
 
Dale Moser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wise Cty
Hunt In: Young Cty
Default

I would use 2X8.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 12:20 AM   #26
100%TtId
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I would use 2X8.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, what Dale said^^^.

You have to go with a 2x8 for an 11'6" span. The max for a 2x6 is 10'9" with 12" OC joist spacing.

With a 2x8, you could go as far as 14'2" with 12" OC spacing of joists but it will be a bit springy beyond 12'.

With a 16" OC, 12'6" is the max for 2x8.
With a 24" OC, 11'0" is the max for 2x8.
This ^^ is assuming you're using Southern Pine for all of the build. If you go with a composite deck surface (or use any other framing besides SP like Ponderosa or western cedar) the limits are much lower. Also assuming corner-post design and NOT a cantilever.

At a 12' joist length, your post spacing could be as much as 8' with a doubled 2x8 beam. 9' post spacing would require a doubled 2x10 beam. Footers based on a 12' joist and 8' post spacing would need to be 12" diameter also.
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #27
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
Yep, what Dale said^^^.

You have to go with a 2x8 for an 11'6" span. The max for a 2x6 is 10'9" with 12" OC joist spacing.

With a 2x8, you could go as far as 14'2" with 12" OC spacing of joists but it will be a bit springy beyond 12'.

With a 16" OC, 12'6" is the max for 2x8.
With a 24" OC, 11'0" is the max for 2x8.
This ^^ is assuming you're using Southern Pine for all of the build. If you go with a composite deck surface (or use any other framing besides SP like Ponderosa or western cedar) the limits are much lower. Also assuming corner-post design and NOT a cantilever.

At a 12' joist length, your post spacing could be as much as 8' with a doubled 2x8 beam. 9' post spacing would require a doubled 2x10 beam. Footers based on a 12' joist and 8' post spacing would need to be 12" diameter also.


If I set them 6í apart would I be ok with just a reg. Treated 4x4 with concrete?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #28
RWB
Eight Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Have you priced the difference in deck vs cement? Long term cement is a better solution and with price of lumber I am not sure it's much cheaper. Also helps your resale and much less maintenance.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #29
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point
 
FLASH_OUTDOORS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
Have you priced the difference in deck vs cement? Long term cement is a better solution and with price of lumber I am not sure it's much cheaper. Also helps your resale and much less maintenance.


I canít put concrete. I to t want to cut off water to a 100+ year old tree


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #30
100%TtId
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
If I set them 6í apart would I be ok with just a reg. Treated 4x4 with concrete?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you set your posts 6 feet apart with 12 foot joists, the concrete footers for 4x4 posts need to be at least 9 inches diameter (12" for the corners) and the deck height must be less than 48" above ground.
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-28-2020, 09:53 PM   #31
Bish
Ten Point
 
Bish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sherman, Texas
Default

I'm retired now, but built many decks, I've always used treated 2x6 and 4x4 post, doing it yourself will be about only way to save money, here is a few I've done.

God Bless
Bish
Attached Images
  
Bish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #32
wellingtontx
Pope & Young
 
wellingtontx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas
Default

Great looking decks
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com