Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #251
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas/Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyH View Post
I know that spot. Bumped a deer out of it scouting.

You guys talking about walking a mile back what's your method once you have a deer down? Just curious, trying to decide what I am going to carry with me out there? I know this is personal to each. I can't make it out there till middle of next week.

Where they bedded at the end of that finger of timber on the left side of the firebreak? Just when you start getting down in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbhunting39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #252
Turnkey
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogman$ View Post

That's awesome. Bet it will make a great mount.
Turnkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #253
BradyH
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Where I can. Public lands

Thanks for the tips. I have a smaller frame pack I was thinking about taking in to the deeper places, just in case. I think I read you couldn't quarter them in the field, but I am not sure about that. This is the first year I will hunt out there. I will find out for sure before I head out there next week.
BradyH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #254
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

Texas regs regarding quartering are below and I'm not aware that they differ on public land. Froggy would know.

A deer and pronghorn may be skinned and quartered (two forequarters, two hindquarters, and two back straps) for transport, provided the quartered deer or pronghorn is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer or pronghorn. The four quarters and two back-straps are the only parts of a deer required by law to be kept in edible condition. Deer or pronghorn may only be processed beyond quarters at a location that qualifies as a final destination.
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #255
JB3
Spike

Hunt In: LBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyH View Post
Thanks for the tips. I have a smaller frame pack I was thinking about taking in to the deeper places, just in case. I think I read you couldn't quarter them in the field, but I am not sure about that. This is the first year I will hunt out there. I will find out for sure before I head out there next week.
I havent seen any different regs related to quartering on Public Land. I use the gutless method. If i'm in a stand, i use a Sherpa that converts my stand into a cart. During bow season, i like to stalk, so i quarter, de-bone, and pack out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
JB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #256
hogman$
Six Point

Hunt In: West texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnkey View Post
That's awesome. Bet it will make a great mount.

Yep my first cat dropped it off at the taxidermist yesterday

hogman$ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #257
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Getting back at it Saturday! Maybe I'll be in the right spot at the right time on one of these boys! This scrape has been getting hit pretty hard.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #258
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Nice bucks Troy. Hope you get one of them!
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #259
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
Nice bucks Troy. Hope you get one of them!
Thanks brother, I'm trying!
Old 10-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #260
Jtaps
Four Point

Hunt In: Hopefully your place

Nice Troy!

First one looks a a tad narrow or is that the angle?
Jtaps is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #261
mschlott
Spike

Hunt In: Lavon

Why doe LBJ not show up on TPWD public hunting map?
mschlott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #262
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschlott View Post
Why doe LBJ not show up on TPWD public hunting map?

Because the TPWD hunting map lists APH (Annual Public Hunting) lands, and LBJ is not in that program. It is under the exclusive management of the USFS. Kind of how they don’t list Army Corps land unless it is leased to the state for a park or APH access.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #263
mschlott
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
Because the TPWD hunting map lists APH (Annual Public Hunting) lands, and LBJ is not in that program. It is under the exclusive management of the USFS. Kind of how they don’t list Army Corps land unless it is leased to the state for a park or APH access.

I suspected as much. I'm guessing since the Ladonia and Bios D Arc are not mentioned here that the hunting is not that great.

Where can I find definitive information on hunting LBJ. Information is hard to find and incomplete on the Forest Service web site.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #264
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
I suspected as much. I'm guessing since the Ladonia and Bios D Arc are not mentioned here that the hunting is not that great.

Where can I find definitive information on hunting LBJ. Information is hard to find and incomplete on the Forest Service web site.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...fswdev3_008440

Also, for specific questions, call the office at LBJ. They are very helpful.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #265
mschlott
Spike

Quote:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...fswdev3_008440

Also, for specific questions, call the office at LBJ. They are very helpful.

Thanks Ikeman, that's the page I found as well. Was hoping for some more detailed maps like TPWD has with roads and gate locations and such. I'll give them a call this week.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #266
Kdurham
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks Ikeman, that's the page I found as well. Was hoping for some more detailed maps like TPWD has with roads and gate locations and such. I'll give them a call this week.

Stop by the office in Decatur. The map is $10

Kdurham is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #267
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Looks like I might get to hunt everyday next week. God is great and people are crazy! Whoa

Old 10-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #268
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Quote:

I hunt (more like campout) up there at Caddo every year. It is not as good as LBJ. Not many ,🦌,,, or up there at all!

Old 10-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #269
KayaKyle
Nubbin' Buck

Excited about this cool/cold front coming through! I’m gonna be sitting up in the trees on Wednesday after the rain and hope to pin an 8 pointer that I’ve been seeing on my camera. Hoping that he’ll pattern back in to his food source once the rain dies off and gives him a chance to feed again.
KayaKyle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #270
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Anybody ever use a tree saddle? Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #271
Rich1201
Four Point

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Lamar county

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
Just got one Friday and hunted with it Sunday at LBJ. It was pretty uncomfortable to me. I heard it can take a while to dial it in. The weight savings is incredible so if I can get it to a semi comfortable place it'll be well worth it. If we're ever out there at the same time and you'd like to see/try it out in person let me know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Rich1201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #272
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:

I have run one exclusively for 3 years. And about 50/50 the year before that.

They are awesome for public land.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #273
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1201 View Post
Just got one Friday and hunted with it Sunday at LBJ. It was pretty uncomfortable to me. I heard it can take a while to dial it in. The weight savings is incredible so if I can get it to a semi comfortable place it'll be well worth it. If we're ever out there at the same time and you'd like to see/try it out in person let me know.

Which one did you get, rich?
Kestrel, kite, or Mantis?

The 2 biggest adjustments for comfort in a saddle are tether height and bridge length.
If your bridge is a fixed length, adjust tether height first.

Also, lots of guys try to sit all the way down in a saddle. That is the #1 way to get hip punch. I lean into my saddle instead. I only ever truly sit for 10-15 minutes at a time. My position is more like leaning on a low counter. Most of my weight is still on my feet, but the saddle allows me to easily adjust what muscles are supporting me, so they don’t get fatigued.

You kind of have to get into “Saddle shape” because a lot of those small muscles don’t get used day to day.

It is easy to go down the rabbit hole with saddle hunting. I have modified hawk helium sticks, Spurs, EZKut bolts, carbon fiber bolts, wild edge stepps..... if I really wanted to, I could get into the tree (at 20 feet) for a total of 6lbs plus my bow.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #274
Rich1201
Four Point

Quote:
Which one did you get, rich?
Kestrel, kite, or Mantis?

The 2 biggest adjustments for comfort in a saddle are tether height and bridge length.
If your bridge is a fixed length, adjust tether height first.

Also, lots of guys try to sit all the way down in a saddle. That is the #1 way to get hip punch. I lean into my saddle instead. I only ever truly sit for 10-15 minutes at a time. My position is more like leaning on a low counter. Most of my weight is still on my feet, but the saddle allows me to easily adjust what muscles are supporting me, so they don’t get fatigued.

You kind of have to get into “Saddle shape” because a lot of those small muscles don’t get used day to day.

It is easy to go down the rabbit hole with saddle hunting. I have modified hawk helium sticks, Spurs, EZKut bolts, carbon fiber bolts, wild edge stepps..... if I really wanted to, I could get into the tree (at 20 feet) for a total of 6lbs plus my bow.

Mantis. I just stood on the top of my Muddy sticks. Would a platform help at all?

Old 10-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #275
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Mantis. I just stood on the top of my Muddy sticks. Would a platform help at all?

A platform could help, depending on where your discomfort was and why.

Was your issue with hip pinch, foot fatigue, back pain, stomach gas.... lol

If you had bad foot pain, the platform would help out. Also, stiffer sole shoes make a huge difference on something like the top of a stick.

If it was hip pinch, slowly lower your tether height until you find a sweet spot. If you get the tether down to lip level and you still have hip pinch, you switch to a longer bridge.

If you are sitting down directly into the saddle like a swinging seat, I would also recommend trying a decent amount of leaning instead. I lean into my saddle almost the whole time. My legs are usually somewhat straight (though I never lock my knees), my tether is usually somewhere between my nose and my forehead, and I run about a 28” bridge. I am in a sit drag, so your rope placement/lengths would vary of course.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #276
Rich1201
Four Point

Quote:
A platform could help, depending on where your discomfort was and why.

Was your issue with hip pinch, foot fatigue, back pain, stomach gas.... lol

If you had bad foot pain, the platform would help out. Also, stiffer sole shoes make a huge difference on something like the top of a stick.

If it was hip pinch, slowly lower your tether height until you find a sweet spot. If you get the tether down to lip level and you still have hip pinch, you switch to a longer bridge.

If you are sitting down directly into the saddle like a swinging seat, I would also recommend trying a decent amount of leaning instead. I lean into my saddle almost the whole time. My legs are usually somewhat straight (though I never lock my knees), my tether is usually somewhere between my nose and my forehead, and I run about a 28” bridge. I am in a sit drag, so your rope placement/lengths would vary of course.

It was hip pinch. I wasn't fully sitting but was still putting my knees into the tree. Definitely going to pick up knee pads. I think I'll try a longer bridge. Might use my linesmans belt as a bridge at ground level to see what length I prefer then pickup am amsteel one at that length. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #277
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
It was hip pinch. I wasn't fully sitting but was still putting my knees into the tree. Definitely going to pick up knee pads. I think I'll try a longer bridge. Might use my linesmans belt as a bridge at ground level to see what length I prefer then pickup am amsteel one at that length. Thanks for the info.

No problem. If you continue having comfort issues, just let me know. There are a few of us here on TBH that have several years in a saddle and can answer any questions you may have. (I only have 4, but the other two have over a decade each in them)

I takes a bit to get into the groove of things, but once you find that sweet spot you will be able to fall asleep in that mantis.

When you look at buying amsteel, don’t forget to look at how much extra rope you will need for the bury on the splices. There have to be 2 types of splices used now that your saddle is already assembled. The first is a fixed Brummell (what your current saddle has) and the second will be a stitched splice. (Since the first splice is attached to the saddle, it isn’t free to be used for another Brummell)

It sounds complicated, but amsteel is easy peasy to work with.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #278
troy_w_7
Eight Point

I'm mostly interested in them due to the weight savings. How much do they typically cost? Yall use some sort of safety harness? It looks like if you come unhooked with that rig, you're hitting the ground.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 PM   #279
Rich1201
Four Point

Quote:
I'm mostly interested in them due to the weight savings. How much do they typically cost? Yall use some sort of safety harness? It looks like if you come unhooked with that rig, you're hitting the ground.
You can't really fall out. The saddle is your harness. I feel safer in it than my HSS harness. Mine was $200. Not cheap but if I can figure out how to get more comfortable I'd say it's worth it. You can go a DIY route for much cheaper if you want.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:37 AM   #280
jnd1959
Eight Point

I think he was asking more about tether failure than falling out. I have wondered about that as well. Not likely but a backup wouldn't be bad if it's not in the way.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #281
Rich1201
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
I think he was asking more about tether failure than falling out. I have wondered about that as well. Not likely but a backup wouldn't be bad if it's not in the way.
I'd assume tether failure odds would be about the same for saddle vs. traditional harness. So unless he's wearing 2 harnesses now I wouldn't recommend wearing another device. But I'm no expert so I may be wrong. Everyone should do whatever makes them feel safe.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #282
jnd1959
Eight Point

I agree tether failure would be very unlikely. There are no fall or rappel stresses on the tether. I'm just used to multiple anchors except during rappel. I'm too big to do any of those any more but I am trying to figure out a secondary anchor. I wouldn't hesitate to use one without. It's just like a climber asking for a take from the belay. But I would feel better with a second anchor. Maybe a second tether wrapped around the first. I sure would like the lighter carry of a saddle.

I'm out on Lbj the 16-18 if anyone else is. I'm going to try to do some low impact observation sits in different units.

Edited cause, evidently, I'm still learning proper grammar.

Last edited by jnd1959; 10-10-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #283
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

I have been contemplating a saddle for a while now and am finally going to pull the trigger on one. I plan on going with the mantis saddle, predator platform, and wildedge steps with aiders for climbing the tree. Going to be getting everything collected gradually so I probably won't be ready to use it until next season. I am really looking forward to that weight savings. Also coming from using a climbing stand having more trees that would be considered usable is also a great plus. Rich keep us posted on how the search for comfort goes. I hear it can be a bit of a task finding the perfect fit for you and your system. At the end of the day I don't really see a better public land option as long as you can find that comfortable setup.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #284
agwrestler
Eight Point

Hunt In: LBJ, Grapevine and Lake Meredith Nat. Rec.

Any of you want to split a 3 pack of Hawk Helium sticks to get a 4th one? I posted here because shipping would not be cheap and would prefer a FTF transaction.
agwrestler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #285
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
I agree tether failure would be very unlikely. There are no fall or rappel stresses on the tether. I'm just used to multiple anchors except during rappel. I'm too big to do any of those any more but I am trying to figure out a secondary anchor. I wouldn't hesitate to use one without. It's just like a climber asking for a take from the belay. But I would feel better with a second anchor. Maybe a second tether wrapped around the first. I sure would like the lighter carry of a saddle.

I'm out on Lbj the 16-18 if anyone else is. I'm going to try to do some low impact observation sits in different units.

Edited cause, evidently, I'm still learning proper grammar.

I will be out there either 16-18 or 15-17 sleeping in the truck... haven’t decided which. I am going surgical though, doing some invasive beast style bed hunts.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #286
troy_w_7
Eight Point

I'm driving up Friday and hunting the PM, sleeping in my truck and then hunting Sat AM before heading home. Hoping I get my game cart bloody this weekend.

I'm getting my feet wet with the beast tactics. I've identified buck beds more easily this year, whereas years passed I would have overlooked them. Now I just have to figure out how to hunt them. Looking forward to the challenge and opportunity to learn and get better!
Old 10-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #287
jnd1959
Eight Point

Seems we're all going beast tactics. I've learned a lot form Beast and THP. Now if I can only put the to use.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #288
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Beast tactics have given me opportunities at shooters the last 3 years in a row. I didn’t take them because I had this grand idea that I could locate and kill bucks like they have in Wisconsin and Iowa.... passing up legal, outside the ears 8’s for three straight years was just stupid though.

This year I am hunting Texas and Oklahoma again, and I have decided that legal deer are dead deer. My freezer is dang near empty. Oklahoma opens me up to those dumb year and a half olds with no antler restrictions. They taste better anyways, so might as well get a couple on the ground before I start getting picky again.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #289
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Quote:
Seems we're all going beast tactics. I've learned a lot form Beast and THP. Now if I can only put the to use.
Same here!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #290
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Quote:
Beast tactics have given me opportunities at shooters the last 3 years in a row. I didn’t take them because I had this grand idea that I could locate and kill bucks like they have in Wisconsin and Iowa.... passing up legal, outside the ears 8’s for three straight years was just stupid though.

This year I am hunting Texas and Oklahoma again, and I have decided that legal deer are dead deer. My freezer is dang near empty. Oklahoma opens me up to those dumb year and a half olds with no antler restrictions. They taste better anyways, so might as well get a couple on the ground before I start getting picky again.

Sounds like a good plan.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #291
jnd1959
Eight Point

That's the exciting part for me. Figuring out this public hunt thing. Things I used to think were just oddities I see in a whole new light. This is way more engaging than setting over a feeder. It's more like hunting out west.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #292
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:

I wonder if those Iowa and Wisconsin deer taste different than ours. I feel a fact finding mission happening. Maybe I can get funding from the Wisconsin DNR.

Last edited by jnd1959; 10-10-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #293
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by agwrestler View Post
Any of you want to split a 3 pack of Hawk Helium sticks to get a 4th one? I posted here because shipping would not be cheap and would prefer a FTF transaction.
What would be the cost? Would it be 3-1 or 2-2?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #294
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
That's the exciting part for me. Figuring out this public hunt thing. Things I used to think were just oddities I see in a whole new light. This is way more engaging than setting over a feeder. It's more like hunting out west.

Absolutely!!! I found Dan Infalt 4 seasons ago, and it started making me ask “why” every time I saw something. I went this past March with another TBH’er for a FULL weekend of 2 on 1 with Dan himself. We scouted Friday after Dan got off work, and dang near all day Saturday and Sunday. It really solidified a lot of what his site had taught me over the years. There are definitely some major differences between beast “rules” and how our deer bed here.

Our deer densities are WAY lower than they are in the Midwest. This means we can’t really narrow a single buck bed down to the dominant deer like Dan does. There are so many bucks competing for bedding in Wisconsin, only the oldest and most dominant bucks get the best of the best beds. There is also a lot more defining features limiting bedding. Their topography in hill country is so much more exaggerated than any “hills” we have in Texas, that wind and thermals REALLY define bedding locations. Their marshes also heavily limit bedding spots because bucks have to bed where there is dry dirt.

The tactics they teach are definitely applicable, but we come up dry in many situations where there would definitely always be a bed in the Midwest. There aren’t ANYWHERE near as many bucks competing for that bedding here, our wind/thermal interactions are much more subtle, and our grasslands and floodplain areas (though a fairly good analogy to marsh) don’t limit bucks bed choices nearly as much as the water does in the cattails of Wisconsin.

Beast style tactics definitely up your chances at a buck dramatically, but you really need to expect to fail at them for a couple years. I didn’t really get confident at setting up based on maps and a January/February scouting session only, and really EXPECTING an interaction with something coming from the bed I scouted, until last year. (My 3rd year hunting and scouting beast style heavily)

Old 10-10-2018, 05:26 PM   #295
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
I wonder if those Iowa and Wisconsin deer taste different than ours. I feel a fact finding mission happening. Maybe I can get funding from the Wisconsin DNR.

Wisconsin out of state license is only $160....
That’s not much more than a Texas super combo plus APH, and half as much as my Oklahoma out of state license.

I’m thinking 2020 I will do a Wisconsin trip. I already got 2.5 days of scouting up there with Dan Infalt himself..

Old 10-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #296
jnd1959
Eight Point

Did he have a sense of what our Texas deer are like or did you have to apply that knowledge to our situation? In watching the videos, I had a sense that I would need to adjust the process for northern deer to our situation.

Cool that you did the scouting seminar. I've thought of taking my son and daughter to that if they decide to get serious about deer.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #297
agwrestler
Eight Point

Hunt In: LBJ, Grapevine and Lake Meredith Nat. Rec.

Quote:
What would be the cost? Would it be 3-1 or 2-2?

Thanks
Dang. I just bought a 3 pack from Cabela's for 99.99 + tax a couple weeks ago. They don't even list them on their website now. I was thinking $36/stick FTF if we could find them in stock somewhere for that same price. I just want 1 more so 1-2 or 1-1-1 if someone else wanted just one.

OR if anyone has an extra they want to sell....
agwrestler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #298
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by agwrestler View Post
Dang. I just bought a 3 pack from Cabela's for 99.99 + tax a couple weeks ago. They don't even list them on their website now. I was thinking $36/stick FTF if we could find them in stock somewhere for that same price. I just want 1 more so 1-2 or 1-1-1 if someone else wanted just one.

OR if anyone has an extra they want to sell....
Sending PM
Old 10-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #299
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Did he have a sense of what our Texas deer are like or did you have to apply that knowledge to our situation? In watching the videos, I had a sense that I would need to adjust the process for northern deer to our situation.

Cool that you did the scouting seminar. I've thought of taking my son and daughter to that if they decide to get serious about deer.

It wasn’t even the seminar...
it was me and @davet1963 exclusively with Dan for the whole weekend.

He didn’t really get it the first couple days, but he had a firm grasp by the end of the weekend. He quickly adapted what he was showing us, and how he explained it.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #300
RShockley
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Quote:
Absolutely!!! I found Dan Infalt 4 seasons ago, and it started making me ask “why” every time I saw something. I went this past March with another TBH’er for a FULL weekend of 2 on 1 with Dan himself. We scouted Friday after Dan got off work, and dang near all day Saturday and Sunday. It really solidified a lot of what his site had taught me over the years. There are definitely some major differences between beast “rules” and how our deer bed here.

Our deer densities are WAY lower than they are in the Midwest. This means we can’t really narrow a single buck bed down to the dominant deer like Dan does. There are so many bucks competing for bedding in Wisconsin, only the oldest and most dominant bucks get the best of the best beds. There is also a lot more defining features limiting bedding. Their topography in hill country is so much more exaggerated than any “hills” we have in Texas, that wind and thermals REALLY define bedding locations. Their marshes also heavily limit bedding spots because bucks have to bed where there is dry dirt.

The tactics they teach are definitely applicable, but we come up dry in many situations where there would definitely always be a bed in the Midwest. There aren’t ANYWHERE near as many bucks competing for that bedding here, our wind/thermal interactions are much more subtle, and our grasslands and floodplain areas (though a fairly good analogy to marsh) don’t limit bucks bed choices nearly as much as the water does in the cattails of Wisconsin.

Beast style tactics definitely up your chances at a buck dramatically, but you really need to expect to fail at them for a couple years. I didn’t really get confident at setting up based on maps and a January/February scouting session only, and really EXPECTING an interaction with something coming from the bed I scouted, until last year. (My 3rd year hunting and scouting beast style heavily)

I have heard about Dan Infalt a lot as I have just recently started getting into the public land deer hunting. I have always been a duck hunter and just took a while to talk my self into spending some time hunting something other then ducks. Where can I find his tactics? Does he have a book or website? I would love to learn some new ways of approaching this.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top