No announcement yet.

Shot a 10 pt this evening :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide in in it. It will foam the blood if you get to an area where you lose the trail and can't tell if it is a blood drop you are looking at. Good luck!

Comment

good luck

Comment

Good luck to ya!

Comment

I have a couple of pointers that may or may not be helpful when tracking this or any other animal or even a person.
          Don't get a bunch of people out there, do it alone or with one or two people to make up a team.
          Track the track and not the blood, blood can dry up the track won't.
          Track with your eyes and brain and not your feet.
          Never walk the track, a few TBH'ers have been barked at me for this.
          Stay to the side.
          Go back to where you can identify that it was your deer and he wasn't running, look at his track, his stride length, where he is putting most of his weight. Are his back feet coming down in the front track, if his front track is between his back tracks then his shoulder his hurt, if his back tracks are wider and a little turned out, toes opened up more he is probably gut shot and hunched up but putting more weight on his back.

Get a tracking stick, it will help you focus your eyes in a smaller area. Once you are on the track and get a feel for his stride length you can move the stick from track to track as you move along, when you hit a spot where his track should be but isn't look for a turn. When this happens it is time to work it out slowly,
          I've spent an hour in 100 square ft of rock trying to sort it out. The deer may walk back and forth over his own track a few times looking for a plack to lay down. take your time

Good luck hope you find him

Comment

Man... this waiting is killing me.
            Sure feel sorry for Talon. Hopefully he's taking some picks and hauling that beast back to his truck!!

Comment

Good luck man! Hope you find him.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                I have a couple of pointers that may or may not be helpful when tracking this or any other animal or even a person.
                Don't get a bunch of people out there, do it alone or with one or two people to make up a team.
                Track the track and not the blood, blood can dry up the track won't.
                Track with your eyes and brain and not your feet.
                Never walk the track, a few TBH'ers have been barked at me for this.
                Stay to the side.
                Go back to where you can identify that it was your deer and he wasn't running, look at his track, his stride length, where he is putting most of his weight. Are his back feet coming down in the front track, if his front track is between his back tracks then his shoulder his hurt, if his back tracks are wider and a little turned out, toes opened up more he is probably gut shot and hunched up but putting more weight on his back.

Get a tracking stick, it will help you focus your eyes in a smaller area. Once you are on the track and get a feel for his stride length you can move the stick from track to track as you move along, when you hit a spot where his track should be but isn't look for a turn. When this happens it is time to work it out slowly,
                I've spent an hour in 100 square ft of rock trying to sort it out. The deer may walk back and forth over his own track a few times looking for a plack to lay down. take your time

Good luck hope you find him
                Great advise. Lots of people ruin an easy track job. Stay to the side, fee people and use your brain and common sense.

Comment

Still no blood after that 20 yards I found a hour ago, The blood I have found the last 3 spots weren't specks of blood they were large amounts around every 15 to 20 yards from eachother I've even back tracked the blood all the way back to the stand. Then I back tracked all the way to the last blood.
                  There is no way the deers not dead to much blood. I hav walked atleast 15 circles around last blood.
                  First started small circles then to large circles out to 60 to 70 yards. The disappointment is starting to kick in. I'm not sure what else to do. Some of y'all are saying look for tracks but there are no tracks visible......Sigh

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Will be following this thread..,. Good luck, hope to see pics soon!!

Comment

He's got to be there somewhere, dead. Keep looking and good luck.

Comment

Do not give up! That buck is dead somewhere.

Comment

call in some help and start walking lines...sounds like he should be down somewhere nearby

If water is nearby go check the crossing points..look for blood or hampered tracks..

ac

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Stay at it have faith.

Comment

Working...
                                X