• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
    in,,,,,

having said that my actual favorite is the 41 mag

.41 mag is my favorite too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44 mag is hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
        Kinda, if you look at top loads for both (buffalo bore outdoorsman type) the the 357 does carry more energy, and you are correct that the 10 does have the wight advantage (180 vs 220), but that is still not the whole story as sectional density edge goes to the 357 and the meplate sizes are about the same. Meplate determines wound diameter in hardcast and sectional density determines penetration. So the 357 and 10 are basically the same. This trend is continues across pretty much all like ammo, i.e. not cherry picking a top load and putting it up against a midrange load. They are both good loads, but both fall well short of stuff like the 44 mag etc. I just want to point that out for the OP, as the 10 seems to hold mystical status with some people
        When you want thirty rounds at ready feeding from a glock mag the 10 is, in fact, magic. Comparing it to these big bore wrist breakers it does not look as great!

Comment

I killed my buck this year on opening morning with a 10mm, 5" 1911, running a 200gr XTP-- it is plenty good medicine for deer and hogs.

27 yard shot, tucked into the shoulder and dropped him in his tracks. Very fun gun, has more character than a glock (which I carry for work daily). I had a rifle but this guy came by quickly and wayyyyy to close for me to get the rifle out the window without getting busted.

BUT- for running around the lease a revolver might be more practical for the simple ability to put some snake shot in AND have big game bullets available as well.

Comment

I got a good deal on a used S&W Performance Center 629 .44mag earlier this year. Hoping to draw blood with it this season! Using Hornady 240gr XTP.

Comment

I like this post.

What barrel length is minimum for such a long shot, assuming your average distance would be say 70 yards? And can most of these rounds be accurate at that distance?

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                When you want thirty rounds at ready feeding from a glock mag the 10 is, in fact, magic. Comparing it to these big bore wrist breakers it does not look as great!
                I agree, just many people don't seem understand or want to admit that a 10mm has less power at the muzzle than a 44 mag has at 100 yards. The 10 is good for what it is, but it is really not the 120 yard gun that the OP asked about.

Comment

I agree, just many people don't seem understand or want to admit that a 10mm has less power at the muzzle than a 44 mag has at 100 yards. The 10 is good for what it is, but it is really not the 120 yard gun that the OP asked about.

Thank you!
                  What is a realistic max distance for taking a pig or deer with a 10mm?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat13 View Post
                    I like this post.

What barrel length is minimum for such a long shot, assuming your average distance would be say 70 yards? And can most of these rounds be accurate at that distance?
                    7.5 is plenty in revolvers and shorter is doable, but you will start to lose some velocity in the magnum calibers. And most big bore revolvers are surprisingly accurate, the person pulling the trigger is generally the deciding factor. The encore/contender type pistol are very capable of sub moa accuracy and plenty of power for shots considerably further than 100 yards, but once again, it takes some trigger time to be able to make those shots

Comment

My vote is a S&W 686 with a 6-7" barrel in either .357 or .44 mag.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                        Thank you!
                        What is a realistic max distance for taking a pig or deer with a 10mm?

I am sure people have shot further and will disagree with me, but i would want to keep the shots within 50 yards and only take quality shots, no hard angles etc. When you go to something like a 44, you start removing a lot of limitations

Comment

I am sure people have shot further and will disagree with me, but i would want to keep the shots within 50 yards and only take quality shots, no hard angles etc. When you go to something like a 44, you start removing a lot of limitations

Ok this may sound ignorant but I’m going to ask the question anyways... what about a .44 mag Desert Eagle? Doesn’t have the barrel length to achieve the effective distances like a revolver I’m assuming...

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                            Ok this may sound ignorant but I’m going to ask the question anyways... what about a .44 mag Desert Eagle? Doesn’t have the barrel length to achieve the effective distances like a revolver I’m assuming...
                            The problem with the desert eagle is that you lose all of the versatility of the revolver. The DE needs full power rounds of the roundish nose variety. If you are only looking to shoot 240-300 jhps, it might be ok. But, if you want to go with the WFN leads that really open things up with 44, you can't. Also DEs can be finicky about ammo in general. They do have 6 and 10 inch barrels so barrel length wouldn't be an issue, but for a hunting hand gun they fall far behind a revolver IMO, because of the lack of versatility in the ammo you can use

Comment

I love my 10mm Glock long slide with the Leupold Deltapoint

Comment

Love my Raging Bull 454 Casull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X