No announcement yet.

New to coyote trapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper pan tension is often over looked. Too light and you get toes and misses. Decent tension will help with a good pad catch

Comment

Learn to find coyote "sign", when there's plenty of coyotes around you'll think it's easy, just set a trap along a road or trail and catch coyotes. After the first few you'll think you got them, but you'd think wrong, there's still some left, those last few are the hard ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
        Pretty good start
        I don’t put wax on mine but I use different boils depending on where I’m at
        Pm me and I’ll send you my number and I’ll give you all I know which I’m always learning some thing new but I put up 21 bobcats, 55 fox and 30 coyotes last year from December to March
        I’m thinking he will learn all he needs to know from you. I’ve trapped a few myself and your record is impressive !

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
          All good advice. Also, mix up your sets some and use different type of sets. If all sets are alike and you happen to miss a catch at one of those sets, then that yote is now educated to that type of set. Use different baits and lures, and perhaps a scent post set, and don’t forget to use some blind sets. A blind set in a known trail or fence crossing can be a good set for beginners. Again, be sure to bed trap firmly. A wobbly trap will catch few critters.
          More good advice ^^^.

Besides the usual scent post and dirt hole sets, I used gopher mound sets. I trapped and froze gophers to use for bait there. Worked great on experienced coyotes.

Pick up your dogs poop and use only that at a scent post set. They will investigate.

Comment

Working...
          X