No announcement yet.

"Official" Somerville thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Lake Somerville a draw only Public land or can anyone with a public land hunting permit hunt there?

Comment

Originally posted by timmmbo View Post
      Is Lake Somerville a draw only Public land or can anyone with a public land hunting permit hunt there?
      You just need your permit.

Comment

Close, but no cigar...poorly placed self-defense shot

Shot a 250+ lb all black Russian Boar at less than 5 yards (about crapped my britches) coming straight at me yesterday...blood trail was incredible (great broadheads these Magnus Rothaar Snuffers!)...but since I punched the arrow through that thick shield on a frontal shot right between his shoulder blades (I'm 6 foot and I was all but shooting straight down on him at that close range even though I was on foot) just trying to get past the head/skull into some meat to stop the onery bugger (self-preservation shot, not exactly thinking "humane kill" at that moment!) it wasn't a clean kill unfortunately...trailed for close to four hours and almost 2 miles before the trail was lost - no more blood & no more tracks due to rain shower ...wish I coulda brought this Boar back home with me 'cause he was a gorgeous specimen, as big, mean, nasty, and awesome as I've ever seen! He was a solitary loner, and surly...struttin' around like he owned the place...built like a tank too...what a freakin' shame I couldn't get him home! Sometimes it just so happens like this and it IS disapointing (my worst nightmare come true to be exact). I couldn't believe with as much blood loss as he suffered he didn't succumb within a hundred yards or less..wow..these are TOUGH ****ed animals...I have never shot an elk/deer/bear..ANYTHING that bled half as much as this guy did and wasn't found with a hundred yards. I am forever in awe of these Russian Boars...they give "tough" a whole new meaning. May he RIP wherever he ended up. My humble apologies to you my noble friend of the forest, for my not-so-noble act...next time just don't come at me like that, & I can take time for proper shot placement dammit!!! On a side note, I saw 7 does, and 2 spikes also while out but not able to get a shot - I spooked them while tracking my bloody ****ed obstinate pig all over God's green acres...so good news folks, they are out there @ Somerville

Comment

Thanks for the report and glad you had a great experience. Sorry you lost him, but hey, they are exotic nuisance animals anyway, so look on the bright side. The coyotes and vultures, racoons and possums will eat well because of you.

John

Comment

Has anyone ever done any squirrel hunting in the somerville units? I was thinking of taking my son one of the days over Christmas break.

Comment

Great story Idaho trad. Too bad you didn't get that boar, but sounds like you had an exciting time. You gotta love those close encounters with big hogs. Maybe you'll find him under some buzzards and be able to get the skull for a euro mount.

I got out there last thursday. It was nice to be out, I had a great time, but did not see a single deer. That's the way it goes sometimes. At least I had some birds sharing the trees with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Busted by a doe View Post
                Has anyone ever done any squirrel hunting in the somerville units? I was thinking of taking my son one of the days over Christmas break.
                I can't say that I've seen anyone squirrel hunting at Somerville- Granger yes, but not somerville. Granger has more large areas of mature pecans with open areas below the big trees. This allow for easier access. Somerville has some areas of mature trees, but these are patched into areas of dense regrowth that makes it harder to get around. That my 2 cents.

Comment

Thanks Limbwalker & Surfin' Pete...and that is actually a good idea about goin' bacl and lookin' for the buzzards...there were a bunch of about thirty hovering over some other dead critter on the west side of the main Yegua, and they might just find my pig for me ...now to find a way to get back out there before he's all gone....hmmm..the wife is not going to like me much this week ...

Comment

As for the squirrels, I think you could do okay out there. A few years ago, a father and his son (or grandfather, not sure) was squirrel hunting on opening weekend of archery season. A few of us didn't really appreciate the gunfire, but it did sound like they were doing pretty well. Every time I get in a stand out there, I have squirrels around me. Great big fat Fox squirrels too.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                      As for the squirrels, I think you could do okay out there. A few years ago, a father and his son (or grandfather, not sure) was squirrel hunting on opening weekend of archery season. A few of us didn't really appreciate the gunfire, but it did sound like they were doing pretty well. Every time I get in a stand out there, I have squirrels around me. Great big fat Fox squirrels too.

John
                      I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post

John
                        Very true. Squirrels abound...just don't shoot at the old grey bearded one holding the Super Kodiak recurve!

Comment

Idaho, you shoot a 'curve too? I thought I was the only one crazy enough to hunt public land in Texas with traditional gear...! Good for you. Ain't it fun?

John

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
                            Very true. Squirrels abound...just don't shoot at the old grey bearded one holding the Super Kodiak recurve!
                            It's not sporting to shoot old grey bearded ones anymore. LOL I'll probably head out sometime next week for the day. Maybe we'll run into each other.

Comment

I need to get out there this year, I havent been since last summer.

Comment

I just started hunting out there. And so far I've seen deer just not the right ones or the right ones are to far away. Looking forward to baiting some pigs in.

Comment

Working...
                                X