Cotton seed vs. javelina...and hogs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton seed vs. javelina...and hogs!

After 3 years of feeding cotton seed and protein at our lease, we’re just now having a problem. I never saw pigs or javi’s really mess with with the cotton seed, until now. With that freeze leaving everything dead, along with a drought, both pigs and javi’s are annihilating it. The javelina are definitely regurgitating it, as I’ve previously read they would, but it isn’t slowing them down. 3 of our protein feeders are in pens, but I just took one pen down on Saturday, prior to reviving my cell cam. With no cows on the place and minimal hogs the last 3 years, we haven’t really needed pens. We’ll be making another trip ASAP to get panels up around everything. We had maybe 10-15 javelina on the place, and now there are at least 3 groups of 8-10. We had an occasional pig or 2, now we have groups at 3 different feeders at the same time. Is anyone else seeing the same thing right now?

May be hard to see, but there are little piles of puked up CS all around the cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**** pigs are all over mine as well, leaving slimy green regurgitated looking crap in it. Will address the issue soon

Comment

The Javis on our place sleep along the bottom of the cotton seed feeders .

I don't know if anyone else has ever done it as well, but crack open the seed and the meat is just like a sunflower seed kernel, so it makes sense why they eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
        The Javis on our place sleep along the bottom of the cotton seed feeders .

I don't know if anyone else has ever done it as well, but crack open the seed and the meat is just like a sunflower seed kernel, so it makes sense why they eat it.

They’re doing the same around our cages. Day and night.

Comment

dang!! Y'all need feeder pens!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            dang!! Y'all need feeder pens!

We have 3 around the other feed stations, but haven’t needed them until now. We have about 40 panels at camp that we’ll be setting up ASAP...

Comment

Working...
            X