Lost Buck - What Went Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
    Michael, so much transparency and emotion in this video. Thanks to you and especially Hannah for your willingness to share it with the world. Hopefully Hannah’s priorities always remain in the order of 1. Food, 2. Hunting, and (a distant) 3. Boyfriend.

You just set the bar for all the younger fathers that are watching this video, including myself.

Thank you for the support... priorities are key[emoji16][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Great video as usual. I was pulling for Hannah with her raw emotion but bummed yall didn't find it.

In agreement with the too far back crowd.....Remember the Skimmer buck that I had to shoot twice. I think she hit in a similar place as my first shot. Many folks in that thread (including myself at the time of the shot) thought it was a dead deer on the first shot but we saw how he reacted and how he had to be shot again. Too low to catch lungs and too far back for the pumpstation plumbing. That sequence of shots here had made me push slightly higher and more into the shoulder deadly V or aim for the lungs. Low and behind the shoulder has too many fail possibilities for me. Anyway.... good luck to Hannah on the next one. Love her reaction and passion. LOL'd at I want this deer more than a boyfriend.

Skimmer No Brows - YouTube

Thank you for the support! I often forget about the cameras[emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
        Really great video by you and your daughter. You all went above and beyond to recover that deer. It is really nice that you show how things can turn out sometimes and how to handle it. I will be showing it to my boys.

It is had already been stated, but maybe just go over the equipment. It looks like her arrows could be cut down some if it won't effect arrow flight negatively. Maybe that would help on speed some. You could start there and look at her current arrows and what else available could be an improvement. I like GT Pierce and Black Eagle X Impact since you don't sacrifice speed much and can get good penetration.

Just watching that one video and her shooting. It looked like she kind of brought her finger over the trigger when it was time to fire and "punched" it. You can go down a big rabbit hole here, but a release like where she can wrap her finger around the trigger and squeeze, push and pull, slowly add pressure might help. Michael Braden has a good video that helps there.

After a lot of hunting with my oldest son and going through his archery hunting I have tried to video it all. The one thing I figured out is when he wasn't shooting over 250-260ish fps the deer/animals could "move" after 15 yards. We just learned that would and could happen. So he would try to make sure the conditions were as "perfect" as possible for shots longer than that... relaxed deer and in a good position. (Which is what you all did) I know in south Texas when you are on the ground with the deer that it is really hard to get shots under that range.

I have always had him shoot straight up the leg. My thinking (which is wrong a lot) was that it seems like a high percentages of bad shots are always back. The deer usually duck and lunge forward so if he is aiming straight up the leg and the deer does go forward he is still in the lungs.

Just some random thoughts from the sideline. Thanks again for sharing!

Thank you for the feedback and support. The “punching” of the trigger has always been hard for me to get away from. We always practice it when I’m shooting at targets but I think the nerves got to me and it slipped my mind. I hadn’t even thought about it until I read your comment and I will definitely be more careful of it next time! Glad you enjoyed the video!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
          Been there, done that, and (unfortunately) got the t-shirt.

Way to stay positive Hannah!

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
            I remain in the "Deadly V" crowd. It's more the center of the vitals and room for error exists in all directions. Moreso than the low and tight to the shoulder approach. We've discussed this plenty, though. Every approach has its logic.

Great video that summarizes what we all go through but seldom document. Hannah will no doubt get her opportunities in the future. It's been fun to watch you and her work on the "hunt"!

Thanks for all the support this season[emoji4]

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
              They brought John's son's dog, Migo out? They had Rufus and Migo when they came to our place back in November but only put Migo down. It turned out to be a super uneventful track but from the time Migo was on the ground to the time he was standing on my buck was about 3 minutes. I have heard good things about that dog. I sure was glad to meet Roy and John both. They are great guys. Most of the time that shot and that amount of blood will lead to a dead deer. Yes it was a little far back but NOT a terrible shot by any means. She just needs to get back after it and stick one this next season!

That’s the plan! Thanks for the support

Comment

Originally posted by stickbow View Post
                too low and far back. had a young hunter do the same last hunt this year. better not to go for heart shot low and behind shoulder. better for 10 ring and quartering away slightly. best advice is always aim for the off shoulder this gives you better margin for error. bow hunters remorse... everyone gets it if they shoot enough critters. lots of things can happen when you turn it loose. great videos great family , keep it up

Thanks for the advice and support!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyl View Post
                  You hunt long enough its going to happen-unfortunately. Wonderful young lady you've got there Michael. I'm expecting many more successful hunts from her......and the video was outstanding as usual.

Thank you!

Comment

Somebody’s been busy!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post

Just watching that one video and her shooting. It looked like she kind of brought her finger over the trigger when it was time to fire and "punched" it. You can go down a big rabbit hole here, but a release like where she can wrap her finger around the trigger and squeeze, push and pull, slowly add pressure might help. Michael Braden has a good video that helps there.
                      Originally posted by Lilo View Post
                      Thank you for the feedback and support. The “punching” of the trigger has always been hard for me to get away from. We always practice it when I’m shooting at targets but I think the nerves got to me and it slipped my mind. I hadn’t even thought about it until I read your comment and I will definitely be more careful of it next time! Glad you enjoyed the video!
                      I'm glad Hannah replied to this and brought it back to my attention. As mentioned, this is one of the things we've been trying to work on when she's practicing, and it's a hard habit to break! I'm glad you picked up on it and brought it to our attention! We'll definitely be working on that when we practice. I'll check out the Michael Braden video, as well.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Y’all be sure to wish Lilo a very Happy birthday today!

Happy birthday, Hannah! I hope it’s a GREAT one!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Unfortunately that was a stomach shot. Few inches higher would of caught liver. I shot buck in same place a few years ago. Took him 3 days to die, finally found at creek. Every day we walked the creek looking for him it was a HF place. Ranch owner said every deer wounded they find on that creek. We had walked the creek midday the day before and he wasn't there but on 3rd day he died. Great video and Hannah keep at it, you have a great attitude.

Comment

Michael, this video was amazing. Her raw emotion is why we hunt! Loved it!

I thought you would have found that deer, too, and looked like a liver shot.

"I want that deer more than a boyfriend!"

Comment

Happy Birthday Hannah! Have a great day!

Comment

Happy B-day Hannah

Michael I just had a chance to watch this and as stated earlier this was your best video yet! The two comments that stuck out "i want that deer more than a boyfriend!" had me rolling. When she wiped her hand on your shirt and you said "Just relax and breath" reminded me of my 16 yo daughter so much. I bet have said that 1000 times over the years.

Sorry Lilo did not get the recovery but thank you for sharing the whole event with us.

Comment

Working...
                                X