Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who remembers the Monterrey House Candy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who remembers the Monterrey House Candy?

Here’s a story about the family who made the candy. I started reading it, and could almost taste the candy all over again.

As a kid my parents took my family to the Monterrey House on Rittenhouse St in Northeast Houston. My mom would always warn us not to immediately dig though the chips to get the candy out of the basket.

That stuff was what I lived for as a kid. We went there once or twice a week for years.

I lived on Aggie Ln. (yes, that’s the real name of the street) right near the Melrose Park golf course. It was a short ride to Monterrey House for dinner.

That instilled my love for Mexican food that remains today.

I wish I had a piece of that candy right now.

You talking about the brown sugary candy they put in with the chips ? Yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck yeah I do. That was our spot....right there in old Humble. Candy at the bottom of the chip bowl. We still hit that every once in a while...everything is still the same there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I wasn’t much on the candy but loved the food.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
          Heck yeah I do. That was our spot....right there in old Humble. Candy at the bottom of the chip bowl. We still hit that every once in a while...everything is still the same there.

Growing up my dad loved that place. We used to go often. That brown sugar candy was amazing

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
            Growing up my dad loved that place. We used to go often. That brown sugar candy was amazing
            Yeah I seem to gravitate to Pueblo in Cleveland these days for mescan...but that place was and still is dang good.

Comment

Yep...went to the same Monterey House. Lived off of Gulf Bank, right down Airline from you.

You go to Sam Houston?

Good stuff

Comment

Yall bunch of North side trash [emoji16]. I remember it but we were poor so maybe 2 times a year for us

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep. Same restaurant. We lived on Heatherwood.

Loved the candy.

Comment

Loved those things as a kid!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, blast from the past. We would go every so often to the one in Alvin. Like Snowflake Killa, don’t think my parents had the extra money for eating out very often, so it was a treat when we went.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Comment

Never heard of

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          https://thegigistory.com/the-montere...-then-and-now/

Here’s a story about the family who made the candy. I started reading it, and could almost taste the candy all over again.

As a kid my parents took my family to the Monterrey House on Rittenhouse St in Northeast Houston. My mom would always warn us not to immediately dig though the chips to get the candy out of the basket.

That stuff was what I lived for as a kid. We went there once or twice a week for years.

I lived on Aggie Ln. (yes, that’s the real name of the street) right near the Melrose Park golf course. It was a short ride to Monterrey House for dinner.

That instilled my love for Mexican food that remains today.

I wish I had a piece of that candy right now.
                          Man, that is my EXACT same story except it was in Humble. Thanks for the reminder. Good memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                            Yall bunch of North side trash [emoji16]. I remember it but we were poor so maybe 2 times a year for us

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                            just think, had you meet me when I lived on the north side you would have been a millionaire.

Comment

Been there, done that! Grew up at the crossroads of Aldine Mail Rt/ Aldine Westfield.
                              That warm candy was amazing back then.

Comment

Working...
                              X