No announcement yet.

Big bucks and skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the money and gear in the world can’t kill it for you. Lots of guys here talk about how money can buy it or that killing them off feeders is easy. Where’s your big deer? Lol

Big mature whitetails are one of the hardest animals I’ve hunted. Feeder or not.

Comment

At this point of my bowhunting career, if I ever kill a huge-racked buck it will be pure luck. A true trophy buck probably lives somewhere in our general area but I’ve never seen one. My odds are additionally reduced by the relatively small number of hours I spend in the stand. I am quite confident that I can put an arrow in the right spot if the opportunity presented itself but the odds of a monster showing up when I happen to be there are on par with winning the MegaBall lottery

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        All the money and gear in the world can’t kill it for you. Lots of guys here talk about how money can buy it or that killing them off feeders is easy. Where’s your big deer? Lol

Big mature whitetails are one of the hardest animals I’ve hunted. Feeder or not.
        Killing whitetails, even mature ones over feeders is fairly easy to do if you are on the right property. Access to those types of properties usually involves knowing someone or money. Putting the time in on killing a mature buck does come into play. I have only ran into a few mature bucks that were "unkillable". They rarely made daylight appearances. Bottom line, is that if you got enough money, you can kill big mature whitetails in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Once again I will go with "mature". A 4 year old buck raised in the Pineywoods of Tx is way more savvy than a 4 year old in a pen with no pressure. Big antlers are irrelevant.
          Are pinewoods deer just more intelligent than deer from other areas?

Because on all the forums it’s made out to be they a mature East Texas buck is one step below Bigfoot In terms of wariness

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post

Because on all the forums it’s made out to be they a mature East Texas buck is one step below Bigfoot In terms of wariness

Comment

Here in MN I believe a hunter with time and skill could kill a P&Y buck every year on public land. Actually, there a few guys who just quietly do it! Money plays no part.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post

Well, let me put it this way. I have hunted in several states, hunted in several areas of Tx. SwLa and SETx deer are some of the toughest deer I personally have hunted. I don't know if intelligence is the correct word. Wary, savvy, spooky, pressured might be more better description. I will say this, it isn't as bad as was in the past.

I was not trying to belittle anyones deer or skill level.

Comment

I don't know where you guys are hunting, but getting a 7 yr. old + 175" low fence buck to nipple up to a feeder with enough daylight to kill him with a bow is next to impossible. Regardless of the type of feed, cameras, or piece of land you are hunting. Not to mention, keeping from shaking like a dog crapping a peach seed while freezing 30 ft. up in a tree adds an entire different element.

Comment

I'd say with a rifle not much skill is needed, using a bow is very different.

Comment

Time is the key. You can have all the money in the world but without the time its hard to find the mature deer. Feeders help with that.

Comment

I hunted one 170' plus deer for four years and for as many as 40 days in one year, saw him on the hoof during the daylight twice over that time and only had one bow shot opportunity. Never saw him eat during that time, both times he was chasing doe in a food plot.

Comment

It took me two years hunting almost everyday to kill the last buck I got off my farm...a 7 yr old. Heck I spent 30 hours sitting by an oak tree in an acorn flat before he finally showed. Hunted him with a rifle. That should prove lack of skill beyond any doubt especially considering he lived less than half a mile from my house.

I suppose I'm better at growing them than hunting them but there is no argument you have no chance of getting one if they don't exist where you hunt.

Comment

When it comes to "skill" I think trail cameras have done more than anything. I dont think its all about the money or primo hunt location. Trail cameras make the time, date, moon phase, weather patterns, etc all more predictable for deer patterns. How many of you dont bother going out to hunt until your trail camera says to?

I hunt several places and use trail cameras at different variations on each place. One place is high fenced and under 600 acres, we dont use any trail cameras on the place. It is fun and exciting to have no idea what might walk out and when. We really have no idea what is even out there, until we see it in person. We could easily categorize every deer on the place, with a few exceptions, all by deer season...but why?

Comment

I define “big” as in the age of the buck I am after. To kill a 6+ yr old deer away from a feeder takes skill and a little luck.

Comment

Guys that have only hunted feeders from box blinds will tell you it’s only about money and not skill.

Comment

Working...
                                X