removing gun registration ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing gun registration ...

How do I remove my gun registration from a handgun I sold recently? Bought it new but forgot about it until now.
    Can the manufacturer I purchased from do that for me since it was registered under them and through the dealer?

There is no registration to be removed. There’s always the record of the sale that could be pulled by certain agencies if needed that would lead back to you as the original transferee.

Some people like to document their personal firearm sales with a bill of sale signed and dated by both parties to help attempt to prove the gun was sold in the event they are ever contacted about the firearm.

Comment

Originally posted by gb22250 View Post
      There is no registration to be removed. There’s always the record of the sale that could be pulled by certain agencies if needed that would lead back to you as the original transferee.

Some people like to document their personal firearm sales with a bill of sale signed and dated by both parties to help attempt to prove the gun was sold in the event they are ever contacted about the firearm.
      when you buy a new one, you fill out an ATF form at the dealer and if you want the gun warranted, you fill out a registration form with the manufacturer.
      Is what I'm talking about, in case the next owner does something stupid with it ...

Comment

It looks like gb22250 just offered an easy way for you to CYA.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
          when you buy a new one, you fill out an ATF form at the dealer and if you want the gun warranted, you fill out a registration form with the manufacturer.
          Is what I'm talking about, in case the next owner does something stupid with it ...
          There is nothing you can do. You filled out the form stating you were the buyer. There is nothing registered. It is simply paperwork as stated above, and the ATF can track the purchase if they need to for any reason.

Comment

In Texas, it is not illegal to sell a firearm to an individual without a record of the sale. If you are concerned about future liability, jot down notes about who you sold it to, save emails or texts, or PMs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

You don't register firearms in Texas, they record the sale which there is an argument to be made that is quasi registration but I digress.

People stress out about this crap entirely to much. Pretty simple. You sell gun to Joe Blow. Joe Blow sells it to Dale Dumbarse or more likely Dale Dumbarse steals it from Joe Blow, then robs a convenience store with it. If it ever gets tracked back to you which is highly unlikely it would be to try and verify your ownership to return it. Pretty simple conversation to be had. ATF gestapo- We are here about xyz firearm shows you purchased it in 1975, do you know the where abouts of it?
              Gun Owner, I sold that pistol and it is no longer in my possession.
              End Conversation.
              You are not legally obligated to verify that the buyer is able to legally purchase that firearm and you are not legally required to document or keep records of it either. Now if ATF gestapo shows up and you answer yeah I sold it to a shady SOB I thought he looked suspicious then yeah gonna be a bad day. But if you sold it in good faith all is well.

Comment

5" angle grinder

Comment

I usually just type up a bill of sale. If I am buying I now have proof for my insurance. If I am selling I have some type of proof if someone came knocking on my door.

For the rest of them I lost in a boating accident.

Comment

Always ask the buyer to fill out form: ID-10-T

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                      If you filled out the form that comes with the firearm that "registers the gun with the manufacturer" then you would need to contact the manufacturer as that is an in house "registration". There would be no other place to "change the registration"

Comment

Bill of sale, printed name and signed by both parties with either SS# or DL#.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                          Want my bank account number while your at it?

Jeez some of yall are crazy.

Comment

If you are worried about it, sell thru an FFL, otherwise if anyone asked you sold it to some dude a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                              Really really bad idea to give any individual your SS or DL #

Comment

Working...
                              X