Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to hunt sandhill cranes for the 1st time? Gulf or Panhandle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to hunt sandhill cranes for the 1st time? Gulf or Panhandle?

Looking to book with someone to go sandhill crane hunting for the first time. Any opinions on where in Texas is generally considered the best area to go and when?

Panhandle anytime during the season. Go with a reputable outfitter that hunts over full bodies only.

Comment

Following as those guys book up fast.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can get em down here on the coast but the panhandle is the way to go.

Comment

I went with a group last year to Lubbock and saw thousands of birds. None ever came into our setup, they would come near but they saw something they didn't like about our guides setup and would flare every time. Several groups landed a few hundreds yards from us but never in range. I want to go again but I will definitely choose a guide that uses stuffers.

Comment

Panhandle for sure with a good guide. We had epic shoots up there around Brownfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
              I went with a group last year to Lubbock and saw thousands of birds. None ever came into our setup, they would come near but they saw something they didn't like about our guides setup and would flare every time. Several groups landed a few hundreds yards from us but never in range. I want to go again but I will definitely choose a guide that uses stuffers.
              My son's buddy guides in Lubbock. He told my son that they generally limit quickly, but only if you are using the very best decoys, and a lot of them. There are more cranes up there, but they get hunted hard and are far more warry. Make sure the guide uses stuffers or the super realistic full bodies. We're talking $10,000 worth of decoys.

Comment

Coastal birds are easier to kill (less pressure) but much birds (you only need 3 though). Panhandle birds are a little more wary, but way more of them. So, if you want an easier hunt, go to the coast. If you want to see a show and probably shoot some birds, go to the panhandle.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                  Panhandle anytime during the season. Go with a reputable outfitter that hunts over full bodies only.
                  This guy knows what he is talking about. But yes I would focus on a guide from Lubbock to Amarillo. You can also get into them in the Wichita Falls area but not near the numbers.

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                  Panhandle for sure with a good guide. We had epic shoots up there around Brownfield.
                  The ol brownfield peanut fields, killed a many a crane coming out from the salt marshes to the south. Those cranes will get into those peanuts and drink that salt water causing the peanuts to fermit and they get drunk in the field. I saw it a couple times and it was quite comical. They would stick their wings out like sunning buzzards and try to hold themselves up. Thousands of birds out that way.

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  ... but only if you are using the very best decoys, and a lot of them. There are more cranes up there, but they get hunted hard and are far more warry. Make sure the guide uses stuffers or the super realistic full bodies.
                  Although full bodies or stuffers does make the action much better it's not entirely true that its a must have. When I was in college I made about a 100-150 "decoys" using grey fabric, dowel rods, and flashing. Cranes have tremendous eyesight but aren't exactly hard to kill. Instead of decoying cranes we would set these "rags" up behind us and intercept them by using a pivot or a goose spread for cover. That's how one of the services up there that you'll find searching got started and has now gone to full bodies. Albeit decoying cranes is a lot more exciting! Especially when one with a broke wing kamakasi's on your ground blind!

Comment

Any reputable outfitter in Lubbock. Lubbock is the place to be for cranes, incredible amounts of birds.

Comment

Go to Lubbock, you won't regret it!

Comment

I'm not a crane guy, but do hunt the gulf coast. If I were wanting a good crane hunt, I'd look north.

Comment

Leaving tomorrow for a 4 day crane hunt. We go every year. The guy we hunt with uses full body only and are expensive. We limited out all three days last year. Fun hunt up in the Panhandle.

Comment

I'd go to the Panhandle. Absolutely silly amounts of birds up that way.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Went last year just outside of lubbock, it was a blast amazing birds! Ribeye of the sky is not a incorrect nickname.

Comment

Working...
                              X