Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to hunt sandhill cranes for the 1st time? Gulf or Panhandle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trhunter View Post
    Leaving tomorrow for a 4 day crane hunt. We go every year. The guy we hunt with uses full body only and are expensive. We limited out all three days last year. Fun hunt up in the Panhandle.
    Buy pink flamingo yard ornaments and paint the body gray.

Comment

If you were to go in the gulf coast, I would go with this guy (if he even has any openings).

Comment

Killed many, many birds on DIY hunts WAY before it became popular. Had permission to hunt around the salt lakes near Brownfiend and Tahoka and hunted up near the Muleshoe Wildlife Refuge. Best hunts were on very cloudy or foggy days when they would fly low.

Still have the gun i used. A Marlin goose gun with a 36" barrel. I could bust a crane that was a long way off with that gun! This was back in the late 70's, early 80's.

Comment

I used to go with an older customer of mine to some private land around the Muleshoe Wildlife Refuge. It was an absolute blast and insanity with the number of birds. First time he took me, we were out there before daylight, and it sounded like being outside a packed football stadium. Then they took off from that lake, and the sky darkened because there were so many birds. Was a great time, every time we went.

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
          Killed many, many birds on DIY hunts WAY before it became popular. Had permission to hunt around the salt lakes near Brownfiend and Tahoka and hunted up near the Muleshoe Wildlife Refuge. Best hunts were on very cloudy or foggy days when they would fly low.

Still have the gun i used. A Marlin goose gun with a 36" barrel. I could bust a crane that was a long way off with that gun! This was back in the late 70's, early 80's.

Comment

Lubbock

Comment

Go to Lubbock area. We've hunted them up there for several years and have always been able to get on birds.

Comment

can yall recommend some outfitters? Tia

Comment

Originally posted by LOC4L View Post
                  Buy pink flamingo yard ornaments and paint the body gray.

Oh I go with a guy that already has them, but they were expensive. He guides in the Panhandle and in the El Campo area. He is a good friend of mine and we make sure to get together every year. I do pay though being it is they way he makes his living.

Comment

I know people like to call it ribeye in the sky but other than being dark meat that actually cooks up with a steak like texture it's not that great. My experience is the taste is in between dove and dirty duck. My wife said I could go hunt them but don't bring any more home. Lots of marinade and bacon makes them edible but that's true with anything.

Comment

Panhandle, but I'm biased. I'm hoping this early winter weather will push them south a little earlier this year.

Comment

Panhandle for sure, Lubbock or Amarillo area

Comment

We go to the panhandle every year. PM me if you are interested in more info.

Comment

We are up here now, scouting is slow, very dry drought up here right now hopefully we can find some birds

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                              can yall recommend some outfitters? Tia
                              Final Decent out of Lubbock

Comment

I'm going with Red Eye Outfitters in January. I did my research and they were one of the two outfits I narrowed it down to.

Comment

Working...
                                X