Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silence is the best call..

Comment

Buck Gardner Double Nasty II has got to be the best call for a beginner period end of sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
        Silence is the best call..
        Are you sure? Because some guys on my duck club prefer the 90 second feeder runs followed by a full throated, 40 note, come-back call.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          Are you sure? Because some guys on my duck club prefer the 90 second feeder runs followed by a full throated, 40 note, come-back call.
          I see you hunt with a bunch of DU fellas

Comment

Knowing when to call is most important. If you can sound like a duck that helps too. Only call when you can see at least one wing tip and the tail feathers of the birds, I'n other words when they're crossing or going away. If your calling when they're coming in you are showing the birds that the duck they hear is over in the bushes and its not coming from that sexy plastic girl sitting on the water. Try to use mostly quacks and short feed calls, only throw in the hail call when the birds turn to leave. The hail call i use is short, only 4-5 notes. Try to mimic that hen you heard sitting in the pond next to you at first light. For calls, I've used or tried most of them and have had several go-to's over the years. The call I reach for most lately is a Zink PH 2 acrylic.

Comment

Favorite duck call and why

1.) If you don’t know what you are doing...silence.

2.) A whistle

3.) Echo Timber (single reed)

The Buck Gardner instruction CD used to be the best and probably still is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Grand Passage; 01-12-2020, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Sit on the X with the wind at your back. Learned early on that perfecting my scouting and set up was way more effective than trying to “turn” birds

“Fools multiply when wise men are silent” -Nelson Mandela

Comment

The only calls you need are

1. Whistle
                  2. Haydel DR85

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                    The only calls you need are

1. Whistle
                    2. Haydel DR85

Easiest call to learn on IMO.

Comment

Start with a whistle. This one is my favorite. Way too many people over call. If you are in the right spot or close a whistle will get their attention.

This is one of my all time favorites. Easy to run, great down low quacks and chuckles. Nice rasp. Not as great as my custom single reeds. But I will always have one on the lanyard.

Comment

Zink PH2 double reed. $25 buck for poly.
                        Go call at a bunch of ducks.
                        Scare a few birds.
                        Realize it doesn't work all the time.
                        Learn when to not call.
                        Learn when it actually helps.
                        Go to local city pond to feed the ducks and just listen!!!
                        You wont ever hear a highball or more than a 4 note chatter!!!

Comment

Rolling Thunder Brute
                          RNT Mondo

Comment

Cajun D-102 made in the 50's and a Cajun brand cane call (man you talk about raspy!)

Comment

Brad Samples makes my favorite, Blindside Calls.

But as most have said, unless you live way up north all the birds your gonna see have been harassed for a long time by the time they get down here. Decoy setup and wind are your friend, most of the time i don't ever blow a note.

Comment

If I could hunt with two calls starting out, it would be a Buck Gander Double Nasty and a whistle call. The Double Nasty is easy to learn on and has a short learning curve. The whistle replicates to most variety of ducks that don't make what you would consider a traditional quack.

Comment

Working...
                                X