Hunting Pop Up Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Pop Up Blind

Looking for feed back from all the hunters using Pop Up blinds.
    I have a Ameristep blind that I have no problem with.
    My issue is brushing it in and deer being leery of it. I make every effort to brush it in so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb but the deer still seem to be leery of it. I use dead downwind, sometimes deer attractant, I make sure I don't have any food or drink that may smell, I only open window in direction I'm shooting and even wear a face mask !!!!
    What I don't understand is watching some of the hunting shows were they set up in the open without brushing anything in and even have a camera man with all his gear etc. with all windows and they seem to have no problem at all !!
    What are your experiences ?????

There is no need to brush it in. You could park a truck there and feed the deer will.get accustomed to it being there in a few days.
    Dont use doe pee unless it's the rut

Comment

When I use one, I set it up at a minimum 2 weeks prior to hunting in it. I also set it up so that I only have 1 window or direction open for shooting. This keeps it super dark inside, and keeps me hidden. When I set it up, I try to get it back in the brush as well, not in the open. Also, I use loppers and saws to cut brush to brush it in almost completely. The big key to success is setting it up prior to use and letting them get used to it.

Comment

are you keeping the mesh screen up in the window? It depends on how far or close you are, but i think the contrast w/out that screen has deer a little confused.

Other than that they can probably smell you. Or you haven't given them enough time to get use to it. Day 1 they can definitely smell the fabric of the blind and are fully aware it's there.

Comment

Get rid of the deer attractant. How much traffic to and from the stand? Ozonics never hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            There is no need to brush it in. You could park a truck there and feed the deer will.get accustomed to it being there in a few days.
            Dont use doe pee unless it's the rut
            Agree. I've never brushed mine in, they will be in front of it within a day.

Comment

This one has sat like this for 3 years, about time to replace it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Deer are different everywhere! We have hunted areas where we put up a pop up after the am hunt and hunted it that evening with deer everywhere. However, we have hinted areas where the deer are super spooky and brushing it in and exercising scent control to a T was a must. There is no sure fire method! It is going to depend on where you hunt and how the deer are. Good Luck!

Comment

Keep in mind that there's no telling what went on behind the scene's on the hunting shows. Things are rarely as they appear to be.

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                    Deer are different everywhere! We have hunted areas where we put up a pop up after the am hunt and hunted it that evening with deer everywhere. However, we have hinted areas where the deer are super spooky and brushing it in and exercising scent control to a T was a must. There is no sure fire method! It is going to depend on where you hunt and how the deer are. Good Luck!
                    Totally agree with this post. I have never had a lot of luck with pop ups and started building cattle panel stands and the deer are much more tolerant of them and they are much sturdier.

Comment

I've heard it said that in an open field, where a deer can see it from a distance, they'll typically ignore more often than rounding the corner of the brush to see one. I don't know.

I've put up at night, brushed in and had deer inside 10 yards the next morning. I also have blinds that have been out for a year and a deer will look right at it and act freaked when I'm in it.

Comment

Hardly brush in a see deer regardless. As long as they come to corn.

Comment

Totally depends on what part of the world you're popping it up....if you want a legitimate shot at a truly mature buck on most spots I've hunted you'd better get it set up early and seriously hidden.

Comment

I have had the best luck not even brushing them up. Just set them up far enough ahead of time that the deer get use to them. It seems like when I brush them up really well the deer can still see it but maybe can't tell exactly what it is so they seem alot more nervous around it. I usually set mine up under a tree or bush so that it is shaded and I don't bake in it during the early season but other than that I just set 'em out there where they can be seen. And then like has been said, I only open one tiny little shooting hole. Also I wear rubber boots in and out and try to walk in to where i am not spreading scent all over where I want the deer to be. I still get busted from downwind but the deer that come in from upwind or across wind rarely give it much attention.

But I will say I usually end up getting out of the blind at some point and there will be a doe there off in the brush that I didn't see. I spook her and then she becomes the one who stands downwind and blows over and over every day. That doe usually ends up being named sausage. It seems like I have that happen more often in popups and tripods than in box blinds.

Comment

I’ve have good luck using popup blinds on In the youth draw hunts. Always attempted to brush them in.

For fun- I set it up at the house this year before bow season, mostly to get some good pictures of the bucks that show during the rut . I didn’t brush it In- just letting them get used to it. After two months- they still act like that thing is the devil- especially the does. I have no idea why. I can just about hand feed these deer and they still won’t come within 15 yards of the blind without being a nervous wreck. I can’t explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X