• Time
  • Show
Clear All

in for this! Good Luck gentleman!

Comment

Whoop!! lfg

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
        Wanted to update on our hunt, we head down next week! We’re going to drive part way Wednesday, so we can get to the ranch before noon on Thursday to start the hunt. Don’t really know what to expect, first South Texas deer hunt for either of us. I’m going to pick up a nice bottle of whiskey for us, we both enjoy a little over ice. Going to be a full moon, but hopefully that won’t affect the deer too much. We’re going to have the whole ranch to ourselves! I will keep a live thread going for the hunt, and hopefully make it an epic hunt. My priority is to get dad on a monster, anything I get will just be a bonus. South Texas better look out, these East Texas boys are bringing the heat!
        In the pre- to post-rut periods in South TX (Dimmit and Webb), I actually prefer hunting full moon days, especially if it’s cooler weather...you can hunt all day long! Looks like you’ll have a cold front on Tuesday...hopefully it lasts. That 10am-3pm timeframe should be mighty fine. Bring the rattling antlers!

Comment

Years ago I got to hunt some really fine places down south with some extraordinary deer. I was basically doing Management hunting. James make sure you guys take some quality binoculars/optics. It is amazing how well those bucks can blend in down there and you need to really take the time to pic your way through the brush with your binoculars. I have been in a stand for hours and then catch an antler tip move or a ear twitch in the middle of a prickly pear patch and locate a 160+ deer bedded down just 60-70 yards away. I spent almost the whole time with a pair of binoculars scanning through the brush. Saw every type of game imaginable and most of it never came to a feeder pen. I assume you may be hunting over feeders but take the time to really glass the entire area. Take along a varmint call and keep one in you pocket to stop and animal or possibly slow down a coyote long enough for a shot. I wish your Dad the best of luck and I hope you guys have a very successful trip.

Comment

lucky suckers! thats awesome! let us know how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by JSAPP View Post
              Surely an east texas hunter wouldn't need coaching to kill one of those automatic easy to kill south texas deer.
              Nope he won't need coaching to kill one of them. Maybe coaching to keep him from killing the FIRST one of them.

Comment

That’s awesome, this would make a good live hunt on the green screen, so we can tag a long

Comment

That’s fantastic. Congratulations

Comment

It's cool that you and your dad are gonna get to do this hunt together. Good luck to you both and I hope you're both able to connect on a beast of a deer!!!! I'm definitely looking forward to the live hunt thread.

Comment

That’s awesome. That will be a trip you both will remember for the rest of your lives.

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it. We are all set up on gear, from a knife to the rifle, just gotta get lucky enough for the right deer to step out. I believe that the ranch owner is going to give us a good breakdown of what type deer to expect, and go over some camera pics. I’m a pretty good judge for age and score, that won’t be a worry. I’ve just got to survive this week, and get everything completed at work first.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                          Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it. We are all set up on gear, from a knife to the rifle, just gotta get lucky enough for the right deer to step out. I believe that the ranch owner is going to give us a good breakdown of what type deer to expect, and go over some camera pics. I’m a pretty good judge for age and score, that won’t be a worry. I’ve just got to survive this week, and get everything completed at work first.
                          D E L E G A T E !!!!

Comment

Congrats to all! I’m in for this and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                              D E L E G A T E !!!!
                              Man, I wish I could! I have 5 closings before Christmas, I’ll make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                Nope he won't need coaching to kill one of them. Maybe coaching to keep him from killing the FIRST one of them.
                                Isn’t that the truth . Unless that first one is a true Toad !!

Comment

Working...
                                X