Axis Road Kill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
    Was he able to cite the actual law? I've had to point out to an officer before that he misinterpreted the law. I was real respectful and he was cool about it.
    I did not ask him to quote the specific law. The GW is the brother-in-law of a coworker and my coworker contacted him in front of me and asked him over the phone. I heard him answer and then he said "call any GW and they will tell you the same." So I believed him and didn't take anymore of his time.

Comment

This thread’s been alive long enough that someone would’ve found this law by now. $10 says it doesn’t exist. Any takers?

Comment

Hunting & Wildlife FAQ - General Questions
        Q1: A deer has been hit on the highway, what do I do?
        A1: If the deer is just injured call your local game warden dispatcher. If you are absolutely sure the deer is dead, you may move it off the roadway and leave it there. Texas Department of Transportation will remove the dead animal. It is illegal to tag the deer (or any game animal for that matter) and take it with you.

I understand a vehicle is not a legal means to take a deer, doesn't specify what kind of deer.

Comment

So ive never shot an axis not out of a vehicle and only killed one in the daylight and your telling me I cant pick the horns up off the rd?

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
            Just confirmed with a GW so everyone knows......it is ILLEGAL to pick up ANY roadkill of ANY KIND on Texas roads without contacting a GW first to get permission.

Comment

"hunt any wild animal or wild bird, including exotic animals, on foot or from a vehicle on any public road or road right- of-way..."

Key word here is, "hunt." Picking up a non-game animal and/or part of it off the side of the road is not illegal.
              From the regulations book:

Hunt
              To capture, trap, take, or kill, and includes the act of attempting to capture, trap, take, or kill.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
                A1: If the deer is just injured call your local game warden dispatcher. If you are absolutely sure the deer is dead, you may move it off the roadway and leave it there. Texas Department of Transportation will remove the dead animal. It is illegal to tag the deer (or any game animal for that matter) and take it with you.

I understand a vehicle is not a legal means to take a deer, doesn't specify what kind of deer.
                1st this if FAQ, not a law. 2nd, exotics are considered livestock, not deer.

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                "hunt any wild animal or wild bird, including exotic animals, on foot or from a vehicle on any public road or road right- of-way..."

From the regulations book:

Hunt
                To capture, trap, take, or kill, and includes the act of attempting to capture, trap, take, or kill.
                I'm sorry but I don't buy that in a court of law the definition of the word hunt in the regulation book would be construed to include picking up a roadkilled carcass. The guy at TPWD says the law that makes it illegal to pick up a deer or part of a deer from the side of the road (as stated above) is the regulation in the annual stating:

It is illegal to possess a deer or any part of a deer that has been hit by a
                motor vehicle.
                And again, exotics aren't considered deer, they're considered livestock.

Comment

At one point the state considered them strictly non-game. But since they've reclassified them as livestock and restricted their hunting if/when an ear tag is conspicuously visible. They can't have it both ways.

Comment

1st this if FAQ, not a law. 2nd, exotics are considered livestock, not deer.

I'm sorry but I don't buy that in a court of law the definition of the word hunt in the regulation book would be construed to include picking up a roadkilled carcass. The guy at TPWD says the law that makes it illegal to pick up a deer or part of a deer from the side of the road (as stated above) is the regulation in the annual stating:

And again, exotics aren't considered deer, they're considered livestock.

TPWD: Game or quarry is any animal hunted for its meat or for sport. Small game includes small animals, such as rabbits, pheasants, geese or ducks. Large game includes animals like deer, moose, and bear.

axis are not livestock according to TPWD. If you hunt it for ANY reason it is considered a game animal. Just like hunting pigs or exotics, you still need a hunting license to legally hunt them even though there is not a "regulated season" on them.

to hunt: To pursue and kill (a wild animal) for sport or food.
                    To search determinedly for someone or something.

if you picked up roadkill is that not hunting? you took it, therefore you for some reason were searching for something were you not?....... you picked that deer up for meat or for it's horns...... therefore you were hunting and in the search of something.

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
                      TPWD: Game or quarry is any animal hunted for its meat or for sport. Small game includes small animals, such as rabbits, pheasants, geese or ducks. Large game includes animals like deer, moose, and bear.

axis are not livestock according to TPWD. If you hunt it for ANY reason it is considered a game animal. Just like hunting pigs or exotics, you still need a hunting license to legally hunt them even though there is not a "regulated season" on them.

to hunt: To pursue and kill (a wild animal) for sport or food.
                      To search determinedly for someone or something.

if you picked up roadkill is that not hunting? you took it, therefore you for some reason were searching for something were you not?....... you picked that deer up for meat or for it's horns...... therefore you were hunting and in the search of something.
                      Look up the law (it' been posted on here several times). Even though they still require a hunting license, they've now classified exotics as livestock. By the definition you're stating I could go to an auction, buy an axis and hunt it home from there. Or if I were to find an old mount of an elk in a pawn shop I could buy it and hunt it home. Or I could give my cousin some ground venison and he and I have now hunted the same deer and since he didn't buy a license, he's now committed a crime, right? Can't hunt without a license. But if taking (physically possessing) any wildlife is hunting then by your definition he's a poacher.

Comment

You can hunt them at night if you want. "invasive species"

Comment

By that same definition I would be poaching if I bought an exotic but didn't possess a valid hunting license.

Comment

Look up the law (it' been posted on here several times). Even though they still require a hunting license, they've now classified exotics as livestock. By the definition you're stating I could go to an auction, buy an axis and hunt it home from there. Or if I were to find an old mount of an elk in a pawn shop I could buy it and hunt it home. Or I could give my cousin some ground venison and he and I have now hunted the same deer and since he didn't buy a license, he's now committed a crime, right? Can't hunt without a license. But if taking (physically possessing) any wildlife is hunting then by your definition he's a poacher.
                            Yes you "hunted" for an axis at the auction and found one to take it home. You "hunted" for an elk mount at a pawn shop and found one to take it home. Your cousin was "hunting" for some deer meat and got some from you.

Look at one of the definitions of "to hunt" TO SEARCH FOR SOMETHING

In all those examples you were searching for something. So yes you were hunting for those items. Multiple meanings to the word.

The deer meat thing doesn't matter and has no bearing on the conversation of "taking possession of an animal". At the point the meat is processed, the animal as already been taken possession of cause how else would you be able to process the meat!?

Comment

By that same definition I would be poaching if I bought an exotic but didn't possess a valid hunting license.
                              Why does this bother you so much? That Crockett/Pecos county warden hammer you for it or what?

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post

But the clarifying statement “(or any game animal for that matter)” signifies that the deer is question is a game animal (whitetail or Mule deer in Texas).

Non-native ungulates are not regulated as game animals in Texas.

The intent of the alleged law would be to stop people intentionally hunting from public roadways (whether they are hunting by Ranch Hand or projectile). This is the reason you may not possess roadkill game animals in Texas.

None of the wardens I know would deny permission to pick up an Axis carcass. Just call one if you want to CYA.

There is no tagging requirement for exotic ungulates. If it is, in fact, against the law to pick up roadkill exotics (I can’t find any statute spelling that out) a warden would have a hell of a time proving you picked it up off the road unless you tell him you did...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X