No announcement yet.

Carta Valley Anthrax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howard, sure hate reading this. Your live hunt threads have always been on the top of my list.

Sure hoping for a quick recovery.

Also PM Sent.

Rwc
    Last edited by Rwc; 07-30-2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
      I had posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry for the repost.

I’m going out this weekend to look around, I did find a dead deer outside the feed pen two weeks ago, and it looked like a mountain lion got ahold of it. The game warden said that if it was anthrax nothing would eat it. Is that what y’all are seeing with the dead animals? I’m still getting pics of deer and exotics everyday on my cell cameras.
      The deer were fine one day and laying around yard open area dead the next. Found 4-5 in yard area now. I’m going up this Thursday to look around property
      Best we got out of old ranch hand is no blood, no sign of anything out of normal

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
        Just a question you said y’all purchased two bucks and turned loose, but you don’t own the property? Not judging just wanted to know if I read that correctly.
        Been on place long time ... good friends/clients place .... it’s is HF

We all purchased 5 fawns - bucks. Lost couple at 1.5 lost another at 2.5 then these last two made it to 5 now. This was first time in 5 years we were going to actually shoot bucks again. Been shooting axis We will see now what plan is

Comment

This is 2 of ones we just lost. This is them last season at 4.5

Another good 8 pt also and coupe does so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
            Been on place long time ... good friends/clients place .... it’s is HF

We all purchased 5 fawns - bucks. Lost couple at 1.5 lost another at 2.5 then these last two made it to 5 now. This was first time in 5 years we were going to actually shoot bucks again. Been shooting axis We will see now what plan is
            Howard, I'm no expert by any means, but we seem to have a lot in common here as far as location and plan. We may be a few years ahead of yall, so I'm going to tell you our mistakes.

Our place had had anthrax in 2001 before we bought it but not bad due to no cattle or goats. Looks like we may have Same situation this year. So far, 5 dead deer found, but one likely not anthrax as buzzards are eating it.

We started a deer breeding operation and only released fawns, all fawns. We did this for several years then shut it down and released everything. Issue we had was same as you, high death rate. The new plan is to buy stocker bucks, let them breed a few years, hopefully bypass the more fragile youth years, and shoot them before they get old. Cheaper and more fun. It's not fun to feed a doe and watch her gain weight compared to a buck with new antlers every year. So if yall start over, consider that route. Also, if you can get rid of livestock, your losses are likely to be way less during these outbreaks. Sorry for your bad luck. Hope yall come out ok.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Owner just called and said biologist didn’t ever go out but is telling him he don’t think it’s anthrax ....said he used couple other long names - not like blue toungue or cwd or anything he’s heard. Basically said call him back if we go find 15-20 this week and not 4-5. I don’t know ....heading up tomorrow. Be great if not anthrax but dont see how anyone can say that without more info. Who knows....

Comment

Were not far from Carta Valley and have found a few deer over the last couple weeks...
                I had high hopes it was not anthrax due to not seeing any blood coming out of the deer's holes. Headed back this weekend hoping not to find anymore bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
                  Were not far from Carta Valley and have found a few deer over the last couple weeks...
                  I had high hopes it was not anthrax due to not seeing any blood coming out of the deer's holes. Headed back this weekend hoping not to find anymore bodies.
                  Same with these - no blood or anything or any visual signs of anything from what we were told by Juan (ranch hand)

Comment

Here is a doe my neighbor found.
                    Really skinny looking.
                    All the live deer on cameras look fat and sassy.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SanSaba007 View Post
                      Was hit hard on a lease between Rock Springs and Del Rio in the early 90’s. Went from seeing 15-20 animals a hunt to maybe seeing 1 deer during a whole day of hunting.
                      That outbreak was bad.
                      We were between Barksdale and Montell.
                      Rancher lost his bull, a bunch of cows and all of our deer.
                      Hogs took over that ranch, it was awful and we left Edwards Co.
                      TPWD said epicenter was near Laguna and fatality estimates were 90%.

I haven’t heard that feeding corn is bad, but makes sense.
                      I was told that times of good rain and plant growth carries the spores out of the ground.

Beautiful bucks Howard, I hope this turns out well.

Comment

finding 4-5 deer dead in the "yard area" (assuming the yard area is not hundreds or thousands of acres) at the same time and the biologist acting as if it is not a big deal and to "call me if you find a dozen more" would not sit well with me at all. Believe I would be running that situation up the flag pole immediately in efforts to get someone who isn't lazy to come take a look and do any testing that is needed.

Comment

I'm thinking we need to transfer all that contaminated soil a little further south like along the Rio grande banks . Poor deer

Comment

OP, that’s a bummer to lose those bucks. Hopefully they have spread their genes. Keep us posted on what’s going on there.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Howard. I’ve never heard of anyone who’s dealt with it first hand. Can it travel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I couldn't even imagine, sorry to hear

Comment

Working...
                                X