Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Wil Taylor
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard
Default hypothetical question?

I am going to try and make this easy as possible.
I got on a DEER lease that allows dove hunting (during season)and Quail hunting AFTER deer season is over. We don’t have section allotted to each person, just pick an area and put up a stand. I have two hunting areas (or stand location) that are within 100-150 yards from two different windmills. At one particular stand is a windmill/pond very close to my feeders. I WAS seeing some good decent buck at this particular stand until the weekend before bow opener. I still have some does and young stuff but not the better ones. I know the pond has been dove hunted, I found a dove decoy yesterday. Do you think the dove hunting moved the bigger deer out. This has seemed to be the issue for the last couple of years. And I see it do to getting pictures sent to my phone everyday.
I love dove hunting just as much as the next guy, but if I want to HUNT DOVES I get a dov lease or do a day hunt. I dang sure not going to go hunt next to my feeder or someone’s else’s. I have more RESPECT than that. I spend a lot of money on a DEER lease and this does bother me. And I have been hesitant to say anything but find the decoy yesterday just got me hot. Am I wrong to feel this way or should I just accepte it as what it is. Do you think the shooting has anything to do with the deer leaving. My way of thinking is, I have more respect for others and their hunting locations to do something like this.

Please give me your thoughts and feed back
Wil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

Same here. We don't shoot doves after opening weekend of dove season because we let the place settle down for a few weeks and then its all about the deer.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

I totally see everyone's point of view. At my family's place, I hunt deer in the morning and dove in the evening. Usually in different areas so we're not "Shooting out" any one spot. Quail is somewhat of a different story because it takes place in a separate pasture better suited for quail, cover-wise.

As far as your lease mates' position, I can relate. Just signed a new lease and all of a sudden I have Wood ducks coming to a pond. I have never duck hunted or even seen wood ducks. I may have to take advantage of all opportunities provided at my new place that aren't available at the other places I hunt. Nowhere in the lease agreement did I see "deer/pig lease ONLY." BUT if I were to try and hunt some ducks on one of the ponds, I'd make sure to respect other hunters' areas so as not to ruin any hunts they may have planned. But then again, we DO have specific areas where each of us hunt and have a gentleman's agreement not to mess with other peoples areas.

Even without specific areas staked out, I'd be pretty peeved to find someone bird hunting that close to my deer set ups. ESPECIALLY given the time of year. You def have the right to be upset. I'd have a very hard time not bringing it up.

It seems that there is a common theme in these types of threads. "Communication is key."

EDIT to add that I had bucks on camera that aren't showing up anymore. There is no dove hunting going on and the other hunters aren't around yet as they all rifle hunt. Getting to be that time of year

I feel for ya'. Good luck this season. Hope to see some LDPs soon

Last edited by BlackHogDown; 10-12-2018 at 09:28 AM.
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

I'm sure the shooting had something to do with the deer moving off. The better ones.

But the fact you still have deer only means the better ones will eventually return.

With that said, I'd still bring it up with the lease manager to request that area remain off limits for dove hunting.

I would think the folks on your lease are like minded and may not have realized you were in the area.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
FVR JR
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

Is dove hunting ok per the "rules?" If so, then it is what it is. I would be upset too. Bring it up, figure out who it is, and politely come to an agreement with them if you can. If they want to be a pain about it, there ain't much you can do, they paid to dove hunt. The deer will come back.

Last edited by FVR JR; 10-12-2018 at 09:42 AM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
MagicBlade
Eight Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Tough issue that a number of us have had to deal with.
The only solution is to have the lease manager make a decision and have everyone adhere to it.

Good luck!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

I don't know. I live in the country and my boys shoot guns all the time. Deer still come in every night. We dove hunt at our lease, We still have good deer movement. But its the hill country so we have a lot of deer.
buzzbait is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

This is the time of year that the deer (especially bucks) start changing patterns. I highly doubt it has anything to do with dove hunters.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #9
DosToros
Six Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County, Oklahoma, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinADream View Post
This is the time of year that the deer (especially bucks) start changing patterns. I highly doubt it has anything to do with dove hunters.

I tend to agree with the above. This is the time of year that bucks START showing up on my cameras. Also the time of year that your neighbors are filling their feeders, acorns are dropping, weather is changing, etc. etc. Their are just to many variables to be able to say one or the other IMHO.
DosToros is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
riverbowman
Eight Point

The biggest buck I ever saw on camera showed up at 8:00 am. He was 150 yards from me while I was blasting away at dove.
riverbowman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

They pay, just like you.
Having said that, I wouldn’t do that to you and would expect the same in return.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
ramrod
Six Point

Are the windmill/ponds your feeders are by, the only source of water on the ranch?
ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #13
whopper1800
Four Point

Dove hunting near a feeder is illegal- maybe the dove hunter isn’t aware of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whopper1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

Your deer left because of acorns and timely rain just like everybody's deer did. I usually have 20-30 deer at my feeder every morning and since the later part of September I might have 2 young ones.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

If you got on a lease that openly allows dove hunting and does not have area restrictions, I'm hard pressed to say how you have any recourse or even justification for being angry. It's also not necessarily true that the deer is not around because of the dove hunting... that's speculation.
Not everyone thinks like you do as far as what respect means and expecting them to is a recipe for disaster.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #16
cashcropper
Eight Point

I would keep feeding it and running my cameras. Meanwhile I would find an isolated spot and feed/hunt it until things turn around at the windmill.
cashcropper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #17
ETXHunter99
Spike

Hunt In: Hardin County

Ttt
ETXHunter99 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #18
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

A lot of people consider it a hunting lease, not a deer lease. Nobody asks for a lease that only allows deer hunting. Most want to be able to hunt everything they can that’s present in the area.

That being said, I doubt the dove hunting has pushed the deer off. They’ve changed to their fall home ranges and new food sources. They’ll be back.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #19
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Taylor View Post
I am going to try and make this easy as possible.
I got on a DEER lease that allows dove hunting (during season)and Quail hunting AFTER deer season is over. We don’t have section allotted to each person, just pick an area and put up a stand. I have two hunting areas (or stand location) that are within 100-150 yards from two different windmills. At one particular stand is a windmill/pond very close to my feeders. I WAS seeing some good decent buck at this particular stand until the weekend before bow opener. I still have some does and young stuff but not the better ones. I know the pond has been dove hunted, I found a dove decoy yesterday. Do you think the dove hunting moved the bigger deer out. This has seemed to be the issue for the last couple of years. And I see it do to getting pictures sent to my phone everyday.
I love dove hunting just as much as the next guy, but if I want to HUNT DOVES I get a dov lease or do a day hunt. I dang sure not going to go hunt next to my feeder or someone’s else’s. I have more RESPECT than that. I spend a lot of money on a DEER lease and this does bother me. And I have been hesitant to say anything but find the decoy yesterday just got me hot. Am I wrong to feel this way or should I just accepte it as what it is. Do you think the shooting has anything to do with the deer leaving. My way of thinking is, I have more respect for others and their hunting locations to do something like this.

Please give me your thoughts and feed back
I see both sides. Imo, this is the kind of thing the lessees need to come to written agreement on and then put it in the lease provisions.
35remington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #20
steve morton
Ten Point

Sounds like you need to quail hunt them dudes feeders. Lolol
steve morton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #21
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinADream View Post

This, most folks have “hunting” leases to go hunt. If you want a “deer” lease, sounds like you aren’t on the right lease for you.

I have hunted doves on every part of the leases I have had and never had an issue with deer leaving the country.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #22
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Probably has everything to do with the shotguns blasting and people in the area. You won't have any success until the five season is over and it calms down. Why would they allow dove hunting during season and not quail hunting during season. I personally would not be on a lease that allowed Dove hunting during season.
PYBUCK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #23
deerplanter
Ten Point

My deer left also and dove hunting isn't allowed actually guns aren't allowed during deer season, archery only. As for someone dove hunting the pond/tank if that was the rules before you got on then not much to get upset about. I would talk to the lease manager and see if there is a middle ground that could be reached.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #24
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

You got what you signed up for. In my opinion it doesn't bother them that's on our place but all deer don't react the same
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #25
lovetohunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

From my experience it doesn't affect them very much. If the does are still coming then the bucks will be there to. The bucks seem to change there pattern about this time of year. I used to have a stand where I would see mostly bucks and in Mid October that all changed and it wasn't from anything I did. I started seeing some of those bucks at the stands where I would normally see does.
lovetohunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #26
Chasing_bone
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

First I am not sure you know what a hypothetical question is. LOL

Second I agree with everybody saying it may just be the deers normal activity this time of year where you are. I still have big bucks coming to both of our sets. BUT there aren’t any real different food sources for them to go to that is any different than what we have.

Third I would still be super p!ssed if someone was dove hunting right by my set up. Very inconsiderate. I would definitely bring it up to everybody on the lease with me.
Chasing_bone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #27
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Watch for the rut then all bets are off as the boys are searching for the girls. This year will be different than last due to the heavy rains for the past month. Everything has "greened" up and no action at the feeders.

We have no restrictions on our lease, but there are only 3 of us so it's not an issue. We only dove hunt, if we do at all, around camp which is a good distance from the feeders so we don't have this problem.

Unless each member SPECIFIES by agreement their area to hunt and others can't, then you get what you pay for IMO. For years we had leases around Sterling City with 10 paid members and it was some issue every year! As lease manager, we had to kick off a couple due to numerous problems. Best thing that happened to me was the Rancher died and let the Kids run it...we lasted one more season and ALL of us said no more.

Love our setup now with less hunters...No Problems...
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #28
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I wouldn't be on a lease that wouldn't allow dove hunting...if they are there in the late season during the rut, I'm hunting a tank whacking birds in late Dec / early Jan vs sitting in a blind. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen very often & takes a special year for a bunch of late fat birds to be around.

We are all different & got our quirks...Heck, I'll shoot quail in my sendero I'm about to hunt. I simply enjoy what the place throws at me & roll with it.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #29
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I quit shooting doves about 5 years ago because I kept losing to many arrows.

No dove hunting at all here
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #30
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Just my take

YOU got on a DEER lease

THEY got on a HUNTING lease

(And I too will take dove hunting over any early season deer sweating... er hunting)
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #31
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I wouldn't be on a lease that wouldn't allow dove hunting...if they are there in the late season during the rut, I'm hunting a tank whacking birds in late Dec / early Jan vs sitting in a blind. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen very often & takes a special year for a bunch of late fat birds to be around.

We are all different & got our quirks...Heck, I'll shoot quail in my sendero I'm about to hunt. I simply enjoy what the place throws at me & roll with it.
Spent many days deer hunting morning and evenings and sitting next to the water holes during mid day whacking tasty dove birds
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #32
Wil Taylor
Ten Point

Ok, I’ve listened to what you all had to say. I don’t give a ratazz if someone want to dove hunt. But do it by your own area. And as far as some saying bucks come and go. You are correct bucks come and go but, I had this one particular buck showing up every morning and evening until this day. I actually had him on camera the morning of this happening. And I know know when it was thanks to social media. And almost can tell what time due to shadows from the trees. Yes I do have deer showing up but are the young dumb ones. And the buck on our place have not started separating just yet. I had ten 8pts and a 7 at my feeder at the same time at another feeder just yesterday morning. I do have cellular cameras and I do get pictures as they happen so I have been patterning deer for several months.

That’s all I have to say.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #33
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Quote:
... We don’t have section allotted to each person, ...
Quote:
.. I don’t give a ratazz if someone want to dove hunt. But do it by your own area....
I'm confused
So, which is it?
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #34
Wil Taylor
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip-TX View Post
I'm confused
So, which is it?
What’s confusing, hunt by where YOUR own stand area is.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #35
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

I would walk into the camp house next time everyone is there, drop that decoy on the kitchen table and yell we got a problem. See where the conversation goes from there. Have a few cocktails first.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #36
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Google "confirmation bias." You haz it.

Quote:
Does the lease say that's what they have to do?
35remington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #37
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Every lease is different...we have an open blind policy so there is no YOUR area. There is only rules, mutual respect & communication / understanding from our members.

There is no such thing as a drama free lease, but you will not solve it here...you simply have to have it play out & discuss it with your fellow members or find another place to hunt if you cannot deal with majority.

That is really all there is to say...anyway, front is coming through, birds are all but gone and deer are gonna set into a new pattern soon. Lighten up & enjoy the rest of the season. Oct isn't just for hot bow hunting.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #38
TxKronik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb and Comal County

People keep saying “mutual respect” the lease allows dove during deer season. Why does a deer hunter deserve more consideration than a dove hunter. Your feeder is near a water source because it’s a good spot. They are dove hunting near a water source because it’s a good spot. Do they know your feeder is there? Are their assigned areas on your lease?

Sounds to me like the OP wants people to respect his situation without giving respect to theirs. If you want a place to hunt that has to follow your rules your way you need to buy your own place. On a lease your rights are no more important than the next guys. You should have known these rules when you joined so I don’t see where you have a right to be angry or annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TxKronik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 AM   #39
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

We have a strict rule in place where dove hunting stops when bow season begins. That gives us a solid month to hunt doves. I would recommend suggesting something like this for y’all. That being said, I wouldn’t get too worked up about it now if no rules were broken. Just politely bring it up with the group and have a positive discussion.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top