Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default Talk to me about Snyper Wireless Cameras

How do they compare to Spartan's and Coverts?

I have 2 Spartans and 4 Coverts and love them both but I am leaning towards scrapping my Spartans bc their service has gotten bad, and its a PIA to set them up compared to my Coverts.

Thank you in advance. Hopefully someone has used both of these brands to compare
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point
 
Soggy Bottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Victoria
Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County
Default

Put my Snyper up last week and it works as it should. Only thing I messed up at first was I choose AT&T as the sim provider and should of choose Mavco. Got it fixed and it works good now. Hoping to do the firm wear update in the future to enhance the pics but they are pretty good now.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
cj_sandman
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

I saw these at the show in Houston about a month ago and they seemed pretty good. They got signal inside of GRB convention center which is kind of a miracle all on its own..
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Richard M.
Ten Point
 
Richard M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lewisville, Tx
Hunt In: Cooke Co.
Default

I’ve never had a problem with my 3g Snyper. I can’t speak for the newer models, but my favorite thing about mine is not having to keep up with firmware updates. It worked out of the box on initial setup and I haven’t messed with it in two years. It probably has a lot to do with my hate for updating my iPhone. I hate messing with something that is working and it seems to never go right the 1st time. I guess I’m not a techie. I think the newer ones have a lot more features like sending video as does Spartan & Covert. Maybe there are updates involved,but I hope not.
Richard M. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Gunnyart
Pope & Young
 
Gunnyart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mansfield, TX
Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX
Default

Never had a Covert but my 3g Snyper has been going strong for over a year and three 4G's I put out a week ago are working fine. Very easy to set up the new 4G
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
Krivoman
Pope & Young
 
Krivoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County
Default

Just thought I would let yall know. Just bought another snyper. It appears that Snyper decided we did not need the command feature any longer so if you ask it to take a picture or want to change setting via the app, you are no longer able to. BTW, this is per Snyper as I just got off the phone with them. Just got a brand new 4glte this week. Wish I would have known.
Krivoman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #7
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krivoman View Post
Just thought I would let yall know. Just bought another snyper. It appears that Snyper decided we did not need the command feature any longer so if you ask it to take a picture or want to change setting via the app, you are no longer able to. BTW, this is per Snyper as I just got off the phone with them. Just got a brand new 4glte this week. Wish I would have known.
I don't like that. Not being able to change settings is pointless
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #8
spro
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Highland Village, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
scrapping my Spartans bc their service has gotten bad, and its a PIA to set them up
Totally agree!
spro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
BowSlayer
Pope & Young
 
BowSlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Troup
Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
How do they compare to Spartan's and Coverts?

I have 2 Spartans and 4 Coverts and love them both but I am leaning towards scrapping my Spartans bc their service has gotten bad, and its a PIA to set them up compared to my Coverts.

Thank you in advance. Hopefully someone has used both of these brands to compare
How much you want for the Spartans? I like buying scrap.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #10
marshman
Ten Point
 
marshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orange, TX
Hunt In: Jasper & Orange County in TX, Carroll County in MS
Default

I’m so confused on these cellular cameras. Seems like you get contradicting stories on all of them. I been reading and researching them for several months and am afraid to spend the money and get one because I’m afraid it won’t work. I can’t afford to spend $400 on one just to have it not work because I wouldn’t be able to buy a different one. Just talked to a coworker this morning about this. He is running a Covert and hasn’t had any problems. He had a friend that has Snyper and is working good. But he had another friend who had a Snyper and his doesn’t work. I have a friend on my lease that had a Covert and his didn’t work well. So what do you do?? Just roll the dice and hope for the best???
Did I mention I’m so confused about all this???
marshman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
stxhunter
Ten Point
 
stxhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Duval County
Default

Iíve got both a spypoint and Snyper. Havenít set out my Snyper yet, but will Iím about a week or two.

The spypoint has been out since early august, itís got the built in solar panel with backup AA batteries. According to the app the AAs are still 100%.

The sent pictures are ok, Iíll see how the pictures are on the memory card when I go back to the ranch.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
spro
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Highland Village, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshman View Post
Iím so confused on these cellular cameras. Seems like you get contradicting stories on all of them. I been reading and researching them for several months and am afraid to spend the money and get one because Iím afraid it wonít work. I canít afford to spend $400 on one just to have it not work because I wouldnít be able to buy a different one. Just talked to a coworker this morning about this. He is running a Covert and hasnít had any problems. He had a friend that has Snyper and is working good. But he had another friend who had a Snyper and his doesnít work. I have a friend on my lease that had a Covert and his didnít work well. So what do you do?? Just roll the dice and hope for the best???
Did I mention Iím so confused about all this???
Call Trialcampro.com. Excellent customer service. They will talk you through the purchase and any trouble shooting you may have. They have helped me out with mine numerous times and even replaced one with newer version no questions asked.
spro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #13
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young
 
BolilloLoco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cypress
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshman View Post
Iím so confused on these cellular cameras. Seems like you get contradicting stories on all of them. I been reading and researching them for several months and am afraid to spend the money and get one because Iím afraid it wonít work. I canít afford to spend $400 on one just to have it not work because I wouldnít be able to buy a different one. Just talked to a coworker this morning about this. He is running a Covert and hasnít had any problems. He had a friend that has Snyper and is working good. But he had another friend who had a Snyper and his doesnít work. I have a friend on my lease that had a Covert and his didnít work well. So what do you do?? Just roll the dice and hope for the best???
Did I mention Iím so confused about all this???
They can be challenging. Especially if you are not real tech savy like me. I have two Covert 4G and one Spartan 3G out in the field right now. One in Old Mexico and two here close to home. All three are working flawlessly right now (knock on wood). The key is getting them set up properly. That is half the battle. Then you need to worry about maintaining a good signal and keeping the batteries charged. Covert gets my vote for the time being.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #14
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point
 
Soggy Bottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Victoria
Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County
Default

I searched and didn't see it. Has anyone been having problems getting pics from their Snyper camera? Saw online their server was down and was supposed to be fixed but I haven't received any pics in a week. Emailed Snyper and haven't heard back yet.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #15
DeadEyeB
Six Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tejas
Hunt In: LaSalle/Frio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
I searched and didn't see it. Has anyone been having problems getting pics from their Snyper camera? Saw online their server was down and was supposed to be fixed but I haven't received any pics in a week. Emailed Snyper and haven't heard back yet.
it emails pics direct to you.. probably your batteries are dead. I've not had any interruption in service at all. Just this morning went through 40 pictures.

On that note.. These things do eat up the batteries. I've also noticed I get way less pictures when the battery gets below 40%

Not sure if that's by design, but it happens. When I first change the batteries i get tons of pics then it just slowly goes down until I replace them again.

Probably going to add a solar panel pretty soon. Otherwise way better than bushnell's IMO
DeadEyeB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #16
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point
 
Soggy Bottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Victoria
Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County
Default

Batteries should be charged 100%. It has rechargeable batteries with a Snyper solar charger on it. The last pic from a week ago showed 100% full. Pretty sure it has something to do with their server.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
covedogs
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Default

I have a Snyper and a Spartan. Snyper is a year old now. Picture quality is much better with the Spartan, but they are high maintenance. I use AT&T on both, $75 a year.
covedogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #18
DeadEyeB
Six Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tejas
Hunt In: LaSalle/Frio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
Batteries should be charged 100%. It has rechargeable batteries with a Snyper solar charger on it. The last pic from a week ago showed 100% full. Pretty sure it has something to do with their server.
except the cam emails direct to you. The only server that is involved is an SMTP server which if that was actually down I would not have got 40 pictures this morning.

AKA it's definitely something on your end.
Attached Images
 
DeadEyeB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #19
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

I heard Snyper won't let you change settings on the app on new cameras? If so thats a deal breaker
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #20
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point
 
Soggy Bottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Victoria
Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County
Default

Riddle me this. Up until 10/7 my camera was working great. Was recieving 20-40 pics a day. Than it quit until 10/14 and sent 7 pics than quit again. Just now I recieved two deer pics. Any ideas on what could be go on? Nothing has changed. Still have good service and full charge. Contacted Synper a few times but have given up on hearing back from them.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #21
ColinR
Pope & Young
 
ColinR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spring Branch, TX-in the Hill Country not Houston
Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora
Default

Mine showed full charge too but also quite working with just a few random pictures. Changed the batteries and wala started sending pictures regularly again.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2018, 10:24 PM   #22
JeffK
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
Riddle me this. Up until 10/7 my camera was working great. Was recieving 20-40 pics a day. Than it quit until 10/14 and sent 7 pics than quit again. Just now I recieved two deer pics. Any ideas on what could be go on? Nothing has changed. Still have good service and full charge. Contacted Synper a few times but have given up on hearing back from them.
Acorns? Is corn piling up under the feeder?
JeffK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2018, 01:18 AM   #23
RMW
Ten Point
 
RMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Burr
Hunt In: Down South
Default

I sent both my Reconyx cell cams to Reconyx to have Verizon modems installed. All I have to do is add a 2 lines on my Verizon account and it should cost nothing to operate monthly because I have unlimited data. Also, pics sent will be same as whatís on the SD card only Verizon offers this.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #24
stxhunter
Ten Point
 
stxhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Duval County
Default

Wanted to give a quick update on spypoint vs Snyper trail camera pictures. Got the Snyper in the field this past weekend and have the same deer in roughly the same spot for comparison. Disappointed I canít change the Snyper camera settings with the app. Iím also receiving two of the texted same images each time a picture is taken, not sure why.

Snyper



Spypoint




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #25
Gunnyart
Pope & Young
 
Gunnyart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mansfield, TX
Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxhunter View Post
Iím also receiving two of the texted same images each time a picture is taken, not sure why.
Only thing I can think of is perhaps you put your phone number in both the message field and the email field.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com