Scotch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotch

Tried scotch for the first time this week when a colleague ordered Laphroaig at a dinner and it was delicious. I picked up a bottle of the 10 year on my way home the same evening. Considering I know absolutely nothing scotch and the Laphroaig 10 was the first and still only one I’ve tasted, are they all so smoky? Saw they also offer an 18 year, anyone had both - if so, curious to know how they compare. From those who also enjoy the Laphroaig, any others worth trying?

Just finish off this bottle and get you a new bottle Monday. By the end of the year you should have a good idea what you like.

Comment

I am partial to The Famous Grouse . I do not care for the Laphroaig, I prefer the Balvenie or Macallen. Try a few and experiment with ice, water or neat and find one that works for you.

Comment

Like drinking an ash tray lol.

Comment

Scotch

It’s an acquired taste. I’d say, unfortunately for me and more than 30 years into a passion for scotch. My love for this beast is nearly 1k per bottle. Neat…

Stick to blends and basic singles

Sample all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Chad C; 11-19-2022, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Laphroaig is one of the smokier ones from Islay (which is a region known for heavy peat). Try a MacAllen, glenfiddich, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Like drinking an ash tray lol.

LoL, the first sip I had I compared it to drinking a campfire. I like my analogy better.

Comment

Man, I can't stand lafrog...try Caol Ila 12yr to see if that suits. I'm a tequila / Bourbon guy, but CI12 is one I can enjoy sipping.

Comment

I’m a Balvenie or Glenmorangie guy…Oban is really good as well.

Comment

strathisla

Comment

If you've decided you like islays or peatier scotches, but Laphroaig is a little too smokey, give bruichladdich a shot. It seems to float the gap for me.

I like all scotch, so ymmv.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                        I am partial to The Famous Grouse . I do not care for the Laphroaig, I prefer the Balvenie or Macallen. Try a few and experiment with ice, water or neat and find one that works for you.
                        The Famous Grouse is a good everyday scotch. I’ve drank a ton of the red bird, I bet I still have some stashed away somewhere at the farm.

Comment

This is my favorite one so far. Very smooth.

Comment

Flavored vary with the region it was produced in. I like Speyside- not very Smokey and prefer sherry cask finished. Macallan is the standard there, but I’ve had others I like as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m no expert, but Oban is pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X