• Show
Clear All

Common Skinning Knives

Hello to all the Hunters out there. Can I get some ideas on some good
    commonly used skinning knives being used. I do have processing knives for
    the butcher process. But I am wanting to see about the skinning knives
    Buck Old Henry Ol Timer Gerber Rapto Razor Puma Schrade
    Any good recommendations ?

It's the shape of the blade more than the brand of knife. I prefer a drop point shape. Don't need any serated blade for skinning.

Comment

I use a buck 110 folding, Dexter flexible filet knife and a havalon for whitetail, pigs etc.

Comment

Buck 110 here as well

Comment

KoA Cub

Comment

I use a Buck 110 most of the time. The replaceable blade Outdoor Edge is hard to beat if your not good at sharpening a blade though.

Comment

Can't sharpen knives very good so I have both a havalon and the outdoor edge with replaceable blades.

Comment

Dexter SANI-SAFE® 5¼" sheep skinner is a skinning knife with a rigid curved blade that makes it easy to process meat

Or

Our Dexter SANI-SAFE® 6” Skinning Knife, featuring an ultra sharp, stiff and wide blade, makes it easy to process whatever catch or game that is on the menu

Comment

I use a KoA Hunter which is a small folding lock blade. Its also my EDC.

Comment

For hanging and skinning I use an Old Hickory Skinner. A skinning knife specific to skinning is going to have a long sweeping edge that is long for the blade length. In all reality any knife will work. I've skinned a lot of animals with a Case Trapper, heck if you do it while an animal is still warm you can just use your knuckles for 3/4 of it.

Comment

All I have used for Whitetail and pigs is a Case Sodbuster Jr cv.

Comment

I use an Outdoor Edge or a Mora. The Moras are inexpensive, sharpen well, and hold a good edge. They can be had on Amazon for less than $20.

Comment

I've used a pile of knives, but none have proved better than the Victorinox 4" rabbit knife.

We average skinning no less than 3 hogs every day of the year. Busy days we will do over 50 head.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            I use an Outdoor Edge or a Mora. The Moras are inexpensive, sharpen well, and hold a good edge. They can be had on Amazon for less than $20.

+1 on the Mora Companion

They don't hold an edge super long, but very easy to resharpen and for <$10, def worth trying out. I've prob bought and gifted a dozen of them. If someone mentions they are looking for a fixed blade, I'll just buy them a Mora.

I have about 100 knives and I generally default back to a fixed blade Case my dad gave me in HS for skinning. It's nothing special but works great. Lots of sentimental value.

Comment

American made Schrade, pick whichever buck suits you as even the 420 steel is good with the bos heat treat, I also like moras but they are third on my list

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X