auto insurance wreck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto insurance wreck question

My son had an accident. It was his fault. He is 18. He hit a Ford Explorer at 10mph. No injuries, but I'm sure it will be $10,000 to fix the back door of the explorer. I was wondering if it makes a difference if we repair my sons truck or not. Will it make my premiums increase more if we repair both vehicles or will it be better to just repair the one he hit? We have full coverage and USAA for insurance.

A rear door job should be 3K

Repair both because the ins is going up no matter what you repair...

Comment

At fault wreck will jack his rates up whether you fix his vehicle or not.

Comment

No difference. If you call them and report any thing... you fault their fault its going up.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think OP is asking if insurance just marks it as one(1) at fault OR if insurance adds up damage and assigns how much it costs them and raises rates more or less.

Sort of makes sense. I mean you total someone's 100k truck or cause $350 in damage to an older truck - Does insurance rise the same?

Comment

It will all paid out under the same claim number.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              I think OP is asking if insurance just marks it as one(1) at fault OR if insurance adds up damage and assigns how much it costs them and raises rates more or less.

Sort of makes sense. I mean you total someone's 100k truck or cause $350 in damage to an older truck - Does insurance rise the same?

That is correct.

It sounds like everyone is saying fix both.

Comment

Fix both, it's one claim.

Comment

I had my first auto claim due to me hitting something. My rate doubled!!

Comment

At least you can justify why your rates rose...the rest of us are left with clean records and higher rates.

Comment

A claim is a claim. You already have one open to repair the other car then go ahead and fix yours also. No difference in rate increase in the future. It is going up either way unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                        A rear door job should be 3K

Repair both because the ins is going up no matter what you repair...
                        Rear door job on our 2018 Equinox was $3300+/-

Comment

Rates do not always go up after an accident. Certain companies you can pay extra for accident forgiveness. My Progressive customers earn large accident forgiveness if you have been with them for five years. Not 100% sure, but I do not believe USAA has that benefit.

Comment

If at all possible fix this out of pocket and never mention it to insurance!

Comment

It will cost you either way.

Comment

Working...
                              X