Rifle shot to drop a pig DRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle shot to drop a pig DRT

Your favorite aiming point if you want drop’em in their tracks ? We have a feeder 90 yards from the cabin and often get shots in the wee hours under the light. When hit they usually bolt about 15 yards into thick Brillo pad thick brush and down a hill on a “hand-and-knees trail”. While dead when they do that, they are only recoverable to someone more ambitious than I. When I’ve center-punched the heart they don’t make it to the brush but that is a bit difficult to do every time (for me anyway) I see those hog shooters in those European videos roll them by shooting through the shoulders. I saw another guy on YouTube who says the best way is to shoot right behind the head aiming for a spine shot. I know an ear hole shot works but we like to boil the skulls to hang up in the barn as trophys How do you do it?

Neck

Comment

Earhole. DRT. But not worried about bleaching skulls.

Comment

Earhole

Comment

High shoulder will drop them too

Comment

Right between the ear and point of their shoulder

Comment

2/3 to the top, straight up the front leg. A pigs vitals are a little bit higher and set a little different angle than a deer. We drop all sizes with that shot all the time with a 5.56.

Comment

My daughter dropped a 130-150lb boar on Saturday with her 22-250 at 120 yards. Right in the shoulder, a touch above mid-line.

As long as you don't go too high, the high-shoulder shot will drop just about anything.

Comment

Hip

Comment

Originally posted by J-5 View Post
                    2/3 to the top, straight up the front leg. A pigs vitals are a little bit higher and set a little different angle than a deer. We drop all sizes with that shot all the time with a 5.56.
                    That’s a spine shot. Pig vitals are low.
                    Attached Files

Comment

High shoulder. My pig gun is a 6.8 SPC, 115 grain Federal Fusion. I’ve dropped them in the corn as big as 270 lb.

Comment

Behind the ear, slightly lower, which gets into spine. Should literally fall right over and flinch a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                          That’s a spine shot. Pig vitals are low.
                          Interesting

Comment

I’m a neck shooter on piggies. Only had one get up afterwards.

Comment

Earhole or neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X