Stump burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stump burning

Not sure how yall do it. My grandpa used a 50 gallon drum and burned them out that way. I just thought I'd try this. Drilled holes, soaked with diesel, and got after it. The one with the hollow log on top is getting after it. The other one was initially but all my sticks burned up and now it's a slow smolder

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

how do you finish it off? dig it up? grind?

Comment

I let them dry out for a year. Then drill holes and soak with used motor oil for a couple weeks. Then set lit charcoal on top. About an entire chimney used for starting a grill. Normally it will burn below grade

Comment

I wasted a ton of good fire wood by trying to get one really hot to burn out fast. A small fire kept smoldering on one side for a week was much more productive.

Comment

I've only done it once the same way but first cut it flush to the ground & then drilled the holes...that stump & root system smoldered for days. I would take the leaf blower & you could see the embers light up 5-6 feet down what you would call a rabbit holes.

Comment

Leave it about 2.5ft high and stack dry wood all the way around it. Make a big wood pyramid Put diesel or fire starter on it and lite it off. I have burned alot that way.

Comment

I've always piled limbs and brush on mine, as I have it. Once it becomes a pretty big pile and the conditions are right, I light it up. Keep pushing the limbs to the middle until it burns out. If the stump is gone...great. If not, I start piling brush on it again and repeat until gone.

Comment

I dig out around it, about a foot and half deep. Get all the dirt out around the roots and pile it up with brush. Set it on fire and keep adding wood till it’s all burned out. Take tractor and push in dirt over hole.

Comment

Dig em out with backhoe and put em in the brush pile

Comment

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
                    Dig em out with backhoe and put em in the brush pile
                    Perfect

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

On oak stumps, I don't drill any holes or anything, but they need to sit at least 2 years. Both the stump and the ground need to be DRY. The best time is usually when your county is under a burn ban....They will smolder for up to two weeks, and burn way down into the root system under ground. If they don't, they weren't dry enough, and you'll have to wait till they are, because piling more wood on top of them often won't get them to burn any better.

Comment

I cut a bunch of slices down into them then drill a hole all the way through middle and from the side with a spade bit and a extension. Soak it diesel at get it burning then I put a small electric blowing in the side hole. It burns from the inside out pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Barrell works best, dig below ground and burn down to nothing

Comment

I know a guy that uses charcoal & piles it on the stump & seems to work well

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                              I know a guy that uses charcoal & piles it on the stump & seems to work well
                              I've done this at home and it worked well. Always dig around them to prevent spread.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X