No announcement yet.

Chaparral Archery Deer 12/6-12/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was drawn in 2020 and due to covid, they decided to assign pastures to save time and contact with folks. I figured it was an excuse to go ahead and make that a permanent thing. It has it's pros & cons. But yeah, about a week ahead of time ask them what your pasture is.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
      I was drawn in 2020 and due to covid, they decided to assign pastures to save time and contact with folks. I figured it was an excuse to go ahead and make that a permanent thing. It has it's pros & cons. But yeah, about a week ahead of time ask them what your pasture is.
      If you know what pasture you will be in, that is a good opportunity to scout it with Google Earth and make your own map by overlapping and taping together the printed pages from your home desktop computer. Then, with your map, determine your access points and possible hunting spots for alternative wind directions. You can use pin drops to identify the exact location of each potential spot. If you don't know your pasture until you get there, this is harder to do and burns up scouting time.

Comment

I got drawn for the first hunt this year. Have hunted there three times before (two bow hunts for deer and one javelina hunt). The deer hunts were both 8 years ago, one drawn and one standby. I didn’t kill a deer either time but saw one legitimate trophy the second hunt; just couldn’t get drawn on him in time to get a shot. I love this place and am looking forward to hunting it again. I’ll be staying in the tent camping area.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas5o View Post
          I got drawn for the first hunt this year. Have hunted there three times before (two bow hunts for deer and one javelina hunt). The deer hunts were both 8 years ago, one drawn and one standby. I didn’t kill a deer either time but saw one legitimate trophy the second hunt; just couldn’t get drawn on him in time to get a shot. I love this place and am looking forward to hunting it again. I’ll be staying in the tent camping area.
          You were out there on draw when I first hunted the Chap. That was a COLD hunt! If I remember correctly you were working through some TP that trip.

Best of luck on your upcoming hunt! Ill be vying for a standby spot.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
            You were out there on draw when I first hunted the Chap. That was a COLD hunt! If I remember correctly you were working through some TP that trip.

That is correct. I think I’m past that now; hoping at least.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post

I asked Chap about standbys this year. Doesn't look good.

Comment

I emailed Whitney yesterday and she said they should know how they are doing compartment assignments on Monday (11/21) after polling the hunters if they wanted to select before or select day of hunt...

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
                  I emailed Whitney yesterday and she said they should know how they are doing compartment assignments on Monday (11/21) after polling the hunters if they wanted to select before or select day of hunt...
                  I will be at Chaparral this coming Monday for the management hunt. Currently we're allowed to shoot one management buck and two does. I wonder if they are going to limit us to one or no doe's because of the drought. I've had that happen to us on several Texas parks and wildlife drawn hunts on drought specific years.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Comment

They are Not drawing any standbys for the archery hunts this year.

Comment

I got my email. I'm there for the first archery hunt. Looks like I'll be in 18, which I believe is the southern part of South Jay. Guess it's time to get on Google Earth and start scouting.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                        They are Not drawing any standbys for the archery hunts this year.
                        I chuckled when I first read your reply because I 100% thought it was disinformation meant to supress turnout.

Just checked the Chap FB page and was crushed to see that it was true.

The only hunt they're taking standby positions for is the GDE and they're only drawing 1 card.

Comment

Got my email and looks like I’ll be in Rosindo for the 11/29 hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore View Post
                            I’ve seen some great deer from the camping area in that pasture. Hope you can get on one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                              I’ve seen some great deer from the camping area in that pasture. Hope you can get on one.
                              Thanks. I’m gonna give ‘em heck for 3.5 days for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore View Post
                                I showed up to standby for the first javelina hunt of the 2020/21 season and ended up getting the western half of Rosindo.

This was during the very beginning of the two week long mega freeze, so the weather sucked. I spent most of my time sitting in the wheelchair accessible blind and driving around checking out spots that I'd corned that were visible from the road every few hours.

Even with all that moving around I still saw a TON of deer. I saw a bunch of good deer, but did not see any monsters. The biggest was around 145" who looked like he was just 3.5 years old. Also saw 4 or 5 in the 120"-130" range.

Two of the decent bucks (cellphone pic through binoculars).

I think you got a really good unit and have a decent chance at killing a real stud.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X